How Many Pens Do You Have?

RudraDev

I am so not telling my husband that, because I know what he will say.... "This is NOT a competition!"

Of course I just did a pre-order on the new TWSBI 580-ALR purple, with a 1.1 mm nib (because why not?) and some more ink samples.... I was afraid that if I waited till the 28th, I'd be shut out.... (And he can't complain about it TOO much -- it's WAAAAY less expensive than the Pelikan M600 Purple and White.... :rolleyes: Which of course I still ALSO want -- just not sure I can afford a pen that expensive).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Wait...what?? You have 180 pens! The purple M600 is 346 bucks on Appelboom with coupon code "Friend" (just one vendor I trust -- I'm sure there are others). If you look back on your last handful of purchases, how many would you have to add together to get to 350 bucks?

If the median price of your 180 pens is even 15 bucks, you've spent 2,700 dollars on pens! I bet if you saved for a bit (or sold off a handful or two of your current pens you aren't using), you could get that purple M600. Lack of funds doesn't seem to be the issue here, lol.

I say go for it, because you know if/when they sell out prices are only going to go up on them...didn't that happen with the pink one too?

Edited by sirgilbert357

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• como

• sirgilbert357

• miwishi63

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Uh, I'd have to got back to sometime last year. Because a LOT of the pens I've bought recently have been super cheap at estate sales and such. And by "super cheap" I mean $5 US or less: a couple of Parker 45s ($4 and $5), a couple of Sheaffer Skripserts ($5 plus one a friend gave me), and several vintage Sheaffers ($2, $2 and $6). Oh, and the Forest Green Parker 51 I scored at an estate sale last fall for $2....

The only pens I've bought since December that cost over $10? The Pilot Decimo, the Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Purple Cosmos, and the TWSBI 580-ALR that literally came in the mail an hour and a half ago (I barely had the package open, and haven't had a chance to flush any residual oils out of it yet). Oh, and a really silly Parker Vector for $9.99 + shipping. And those four pens together cost me less than the *cheapest* price I've seen the purple M600 going for (and that is NOT the US price on those, by the way -- the US price, due to the markup from Chartpak, is $440... (i.e., another $75 or so MORE than the cheapest price I've seen).

I don't know what the "median" price for all my pens is (I don't want to have to do that math). The most I ever paid was for the M405 Anthracite Stresseman. And that was under really special circumstances that will likely never happen again. And the Purple M600? That's even more expensive. :(

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Uh, I'd have to got back to sometime last year. Because a LOT of the pens I've bought recently have been super cheap at estate sales and such. And by "super cheap" I mean $5 US or less: a couple of Parker 45s ($4 and $5), a couple of Sheaffer Skripserts ($5 plus one a friend gave me), and several vintage Sheaffers ($2, $2 and $6). Oh, and the Forest Green Parker 51 I scored at an estate sale last fall for $2....

The only pens I've bought since December that cost over $10? The Pilot Decimo, the Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Purple Cosmos, and the TWSBI 580-ALR that literally came in the mail an hour and a half ago (I barely had the package open, and haven't had a chance to flush any residual oils out of it yet). Oh, and a really silly Parker Vector for $9.99 + shipping. And those four pens together cost me less than the *cheapest* price I've seen the purple M600 going for (and that is NOT the US price on those, by the way -- the US price, due to the markup from Chartpak, is $440... (i.e., another $75 or so MORE than the cheapest price I've seen).

I don't know what the "median" price for all my pens is (I don't want to have to do that math). The most I ever paid was for the M405 Anthracite Stresseman. And that was under really special circumstances that will likely never happen again. And the Purple M600? That's even more expensive. :(

Fair enough. It just struck me as odd to hear someone who owns 180 pens say what you did. I just thought surely you could save for a bit and get it. I've had to save for over a year to buy an M405 before, so...

Also, why buy the purple M600 from a US vendor when you can get them much cheaper from overseas and still have a full warranty? Chartpak can't repair or replace any parts for any SE or LE pen anyway, so all they are going to do is ship your pen to Germany for service, which Appelboom (as an example) would happily handle for you. You're literally paying much more to buy the same pen and the only difference is who you would ship it to for warranty service *if* there is an issue.

International shipping can be costly, but I think it would still be cheaper than paying the initial high US prices; and it's doubtful you'd need it. Something to consider next time.

Well, technically I have 12, but I have paid for two more that will arrive--hopefully--within the next three months.

That will be my final complement.

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

After 18 months, I have a dozen pens + one on the way. I use them all. In the order purchased or gifted:

Pilot Metropolitan, F, black (the gift that started it all)

TWSBI vac mini, EF, F, clear

Lamy 2000, EF, black macralon

Lamy Studio, LH, F, EF, terra cotta

TWSBI Diamond 580 ALR clear, F

Sailor full size 1911 Realo, black/silver, MF

Platinum 3776 Nice Pur, M

Pilot Custom Heritage 92, blue demonstrator, FM

TWSBI Diamond 580 ALR clear, custom architect grind

Diplomat Aero, F (st stl), orange

Kaweco AL Sport, F (st stl), red (another great gift)

Pilot Custom 912, Waverly, black/silver

Pilot Custom 823, M, amber (on its way)

Once Conid reissues the Kingsize with their CAISO system, that is my grail pen and I tell myself I will stop then. That is what I tell myself. The previous post with just two Conids is an enviable example of restraint, clarity, and refinement.

My collection also includes two dozen bottles of ink and a variety of sample vials, two very nice leather cases, an assortment of cleaning supplies, and a growing pile of journals, pads, and loose paper.

Edited by BDarchitect

Also, why buy the purple M600 from a US vendor when you can get them much cheaper from overseas and still have a full warranty? Chartpak can't repair or replace any parts for any SE or LE pen anyway, so all they are going to do is ship your pen to Germany for service, which Appelboom (as an example) would happily handle for you. You're literally paying much more to buy the same pen and the only difference is who you would ship it to for warranty service *if* there is an issue.

International shipping can be costly, but I think it would still be cheaper than paying the initial high US prices; and it's doubtful you'd need it. Something to consider next time.

In fact I have looked into going that route. Cult Pens, for example, has free shipping and I wouldn't have to pay VAT. But it's still pretty darned expensive -- more expensive than my current priciest pen, the M405 Anthracite Stresemann LE from a couple of years ago. And that (and the M405 Striated Blue I bought at the same time) were a purchase due to circumstances that will probably never happened again. So unless I win the lottery, it's not happening anytime soon....

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

In fact I have looked into going that route. Cult Pens, for example, has free shipping and I wouldn't have to pay VAT. But it's still pretty darned expensive -- more expensive than my current priciest pen, the M405 Anthracite Stresemann LE from a couple of years ago. And that (and the M405 Striated Blue I bought at the same time) were a purchase due to circumstances that will probably never happened again. So unless I win the lottery, it's not happening anytime soon....

I know the feeling. A lot of my "nonessential" purchases are made with credit card points. Not a lot of surplus cash these days...

I am strategic about how I generate the funds though. I have a credit card that I get 1.5% back on, so I just put literally everything on it (utilities, groceries, gas, insurance, you name it!) and then pay it off at the end of each month. I have no debt, and I can get anywhere from 10 bucks to 40 bucks a month in points from it -- all from stuff I had to buy anyway. If I save that up for a year, I can end up with a pretty nice pen budget. This is what I am doing to get the Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze I want, along with selling a couple of pens I don't use enough to justify having. Hopefully, come October, I'll have it.

If I play my cards right, I can usually buy one nice pen a year. I'm running out of pens I actually want to buy though, so I may end up with a pretty small collection...

Back up to 101 fountain pens after picking up two when I traveled in Germany and Austria the last few weeks. Will have some to sell at the St Lewis show to make up for the rise.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

After 16 years I have about 400, but I have slowed down overall. I have several favorites with multiples (Lamy 2000, Pilot Custom 92, Pelikan 200/400). I always tell myself once I find the perfect pen for all papers and inks I will stop....

102 today, just got a new one from Goulet pens!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

well.. as of mail delivery today it will be 12.

5 Pelikans (1 205, 1 Ductus, 3 M8xx)

3 LAMY (Safari, Aion, 2000)

1 Conklin Duragraph

1 Visconti Van Gogh

1 Esterbrook Estie

1 Nakaya Dorsal Fin (v2) arriving later today... it's a birthday gift from my wife. :)

I use them all and suspect this will be it for quite a while... although the safari and duragraph might either get mothballed, sold or given away.

oh, I'm probably up to ........................... you're joking - no way would I say on here - one of you might tell my oh, then where would I be. But I've noticed that my duplicates are mounting up - some pens are like magnets ............P51 - 61 - 45 - Duofolds of all sorts ………. some of the Watermans.

There was a time when I hunted only in the wild, but then addiction strikes and ebay offers many tempting things that the little guy sitting on my shoulder says I should really get - another two were added yesterday - from the wild - when I was offered a g.f. 61 Insignia and a Black Laque Sonnet - both for Sterling £15.00.

I already have several Insignia 61s - but was selfish and didn't want to leave it for someone else - the Sonnet has noticeable wear to the laque on the cap and a little on the end of the barrel, but its redeeming feature is the 18 kt. nib. It's a dead ringer for the 'horizontal' example on Tony Fischier's site - he calls it unusual due to the extra wide cap band and all chrome trim - wish mine wasn't damaged. Picture attached - why should T.F. suggest this livery is unusual - anyone know. Date code is A.1 which believe is second quarter 2002.

Then there's the non-Parker U.K. made pens - and so it ticks on - I sense the need for another cabinet.

But there's side benefit to collecting many pens from so many decades, and on both sides of the pond - it's all the history you learn in the process …………. Prime Ministers, Presidents, monarchs, what happened when and where, wars - their beginnings and ends.

Year or two back at an antiques fair and a guy watching me picking up pens asked how many I had, and not wanting to seem too much of an anorak I said, about 300 …………….. when I asked his tally he said, about 3000 …….. so I don't feel too bad ……… yet.

post-125342-0-25133100-1559772536_thumb.jpg

Three more than I had a month ago, but I can stop anytime I want!

:lticaptd:

It's just that you don't want to, right? ;)

Working, I have 10 plus one from the Ranga group buy whenever it arrives. 3 Sheaffer's of various types, 3 51's, a Pelikan, a no name school pen, a Wearever and my Aunt's Moore Ringtop that I had restored but never inked. Not sure if I should go for an even dozen or get rid of some. Honestly, one of my favorites is the Wearever Pennant. Not fancy so if I lose it I'm not out much and it writes well. I also have a 45 that I will never use, another Wearever that needs a new sac, an unidentified Platignum and another unidentified Sheaffer

Edit - forgot one Jinhao so I have 11 working

Edited by Mr5x5

Database is up to 141, counting two Ranga's that are still in manufacture...

Found an Esterbrook green SJ at the local antique store today. Price was twice what I paid for the LJ last fall -- and unlike that pen, this one does need a new sac (which makes the $20 LJ a downright steal). Hope I don't need to lay out for section pliers and will try some cheap work gloves with rubberized fingers (once I find my small heat-shrink heat gun -- the big gun is out of the running [it's designed to strip paint]). Then to see if I have a pliable sac of the proper size (when I checked my bag, one particular size of sacs were all crumbly).

The SJ came with a 2968 (firm/broad) nib -- shop tag called it a "calligraphy pen". Maybe because the nib might have been worn flat (it looks like a delta from the side).

:lticaptd:

It's just that you don't want to, right? ;)

:rolleyes: I'll never tell!!!

Oh gosh. I...I had to go count. DANGIT I have reached That Point. The point at which one has to run over to one's FP storage and physically count.

The result: 9 pens, plus an assortment of 7 or 8 Varsitys that I don't really count. ...I did ask for some for my birthday though, and that's this weekend. So I may have more like 10 or 11 come Saturday. :D

-T

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. (Winston Churchill)

Another eight are on their way to me from overseas retailers.

The point at which one has to run over to one's FP storage and physically count.

That could easily be circumvented by keeping an accurate and up-to-date database of one's pens, inks, and which-pen-is-currently-filled-with-which-ink information instead. ;)

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.