How Many Pens Do You Have?

RudraDev

Nine, but I mostly use four. My three Pelikans, two M600 and a M805 and a Parker Duofold Centennial

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• como

• sirgilbert357

• mallymal1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

About 28. Once I started going over 20 it became pretty unmanageable. Out of all my pens I rotate through about 15 of them, but some I haven't touched in two years.

Well, since initially posting, I think the number is now up to about 180 or so....

I think I'm doomed. Of course now I'm thinking of a line from an old screwball comedy, Easy Living: "If it gets to 200 -- sell!"

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

At last count 150 some odd if I count all types of pens. I'm working on selling them down to a smaller higher quality collection like I did with my ink (80ish bottles down to 10). Aside from my mid range daily carries which I can't see ever changing, I'd rather have a handful of high end pens than a large collection of middling examples.

But seriously, I have way more than I need. I think I use about 10-15% of my pen infestation in the regular rotation.

Part of the problem is that I have purchased a lot of broken down vintage pens for parts and projects and stuff. I will get to them one day, I am sure of it. If not in this life, in the next.

Two pens.

Four Inks.

That's it (after years of experimenting).

Distillation = liberation ('less is more') for me at least.

fpn_1555191282__img_0121_rs.jpg

Pens: Conid Kingsize ebonite (x2)
Inks: 
  KWZ Dark Brown / KWZ IG Orange / Diamine Chocolate / Diamine Burnt Sienna / Diamine Ochre / Monteverde Scotch Brown

Two pens.

Four Inks.

I like this. Took me a while to figure it out though. I think there are collectors out there who do rotate through most of their pens, but I'm not one of them. Out of well over 100 pens I've got 5 EDC:

-Lamy 2000 -used daily at work

-Pilot Vanishing Point - used daily at work

-Pelikan M600 - barely used. I just like to look at it in the light cause it's damn 'purdy

-Cross Century - used a few times a week at work

-Fisher Bullet - my EDC outside of work.

As I said in an above post I do want to keep some higher end models in my collection for special occasions, but I like the idea of a simple assortment of pens that are crafted to my needs and tastes.

Sold off the low hanging fruit on Kijiji already, so now I guess I have to learn how to sell on eBay for the rest.

10: Jinhao X750, Wing Sung 601, Pilot Metropolitan, TWSBI ECO, Sheaffer 300, Pelikan M200 (x2), Lamy 2000, Pilot Custom 74, and a Platinum 3776 Century.

Jinhao X750, Wing Sung 601 (F), Pilot Metropolitan (M), TWSBI ECO (M), Sheaffer 300 (M), Faber-Castell Carbon Basic (M), (2) Pelikan M200 (F), Pilot Custom 74 (F), Platinum 3776 ( B ), Lamy 2000,(2) FPR Himalaya #5.5 (Fine, medium, broad, flex nibs), Parker 51 (M), Esterbrook J (2556)

Two pens.

Four Inks.

That's remarkable, noddle. Congratulations. I don't think I can ever achieve this, but too many is definitely a distraction, not to mention the hassle of dealing with potential problems. I also appreciate having a meaningful history with each pen.

Ever fewer.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I am so not telling my husband that, because I know what he will say.... "This is NOT a competition!"

Of course I just did a pre-order on the new TWSBI 580-ALR purple, with a 1.1 mm nib (because why not?) and some more ink samples.... I was afraid that if I waited till the 28th, I'd be shut out.... (And he can't complain about it TOO much -- it's WAAAAY less expensive than the Pelikan M600 Purple and White.... :rolleyes: Which of course I still ALSO want -- just not sure I can afford a pen that expensive).

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I am so not telling my husband that, because I know what he will say.... "This is NOT a competition!"

Of course I just did a pre-order on the new TWSBI 580-ALR purple, with a 1.1 mm nib (because why not?) and some more ink samples.... I was afraid that if I waited till the 28th, I'd be shut out.... (And he can't complain about it TOO much -- it's WAAAAY less expensive than the Pelikan M600 Purple and White.... :rolleyes: Which of course I still ALSO want -- just not sure I can afford a pen that expensive).

My wife and I have a deal - she gets to spend as much on fabric and quilting supplies as I spend on pens, as income allows. Right now its inexpensive Chinese pens for me and deep discount coupons at the fabric store for her.

Including one I'm still waiting for I have 11 (plus 3 spare nibs), 7 of which were acquired this year. I'm not really interested in acquiring lots of pens though: I'll only buy if I get something that I don't already have in my collection. Now that I've got a few italics and a few flex nibs I don't feel much need to explore nib choice more, so now its filling systems and interesting finishes....

Two pens.

Four Inks.

Are those both Conids?

Edit: Nevermind, now that I'm not on my phone, I can see the "Conid" on the cap band. Nice pens!

Edited by sirgilbert357