How Much To Stockpile Of Your Favorites?

sirgilbert357

A couple of things have prompted this thread: Sailor discontinuing Yama dori (and I am literally only just now finding out) and my love of Edelstein Smoky Quartz.

So, the question is: how many bottles of your favorite inks do you stockpile? In the case of Smoky Quartz, I have a reasonable fear it will get discontinued and I'll never be able to get more. We've seen that with some of the other "Ink of the Year" offerings in the past. I currently have 2 unopened and one at about 85% that I'm using regularly.

In the case of Yama dori, I have a bottle sitting at about 80% that I am now scared to touch because its apparently worth 2 bucks a ml (if eBay pricing is any indication) and it seems I'll never be able to get more.

I also love Bungubox Hatsukoi (First Love Sapphire) and always have at least one unopened bottle on hand in addition to the one I have open, but I'm thinking about buying a couple more in case this color gets discontinued too for some reason.

My main concern is the ink going bad before I get a chance to use it. Some of you guys have WAY more than me and have likely had bottles longer than my oldest bottle. So, educate me, o wise ones: should I stockpile with reckless abandon, or only buy what I can use before it might go bad?

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sirgilbert357

• A Smug Dill

• TSherbs

• amberleadavis

I don't stockpile so can't help you there. But ink should last years. All the ink I bought when I first started out 12 years ago is as good as it was new. Just remember to make sure caps are tight etc. to avoid/decrease evaporation.

I don't go through bottles fast enough to worry about not having any in the years to come, though that might change in the near future. I feel that the variety of inks in the world has grown so much in the past years, that there is a great likelihood of finding a similar ink in a different brand. But, I am also able to allow for subtle differences between ink colors that others sometimes cannot!

If you are really set on an ink, and are worried that any number of things could happen to have that ink be discontinued, or difficult to acquire, by all means get the amount you like. It will last!

Edited by JakobS

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

I only have extra bottles of Tsuyu Kusa and Vert Empire, bought when I realized they were at 50%. Since I use about 26 inks, they last for a long time, but I'd like to get an extra Équinoxe 6, Kon Peki and Asa Gao are also at 50%. And Verdigris now that I think about it.

Edited by pseudo88

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

One spare is all I keep now of my favorites. At one point I had 8 bottles of Parker Penman Sapphire. Now down to 2.5 bottles, and may never finish them off. Sold the others for an outrageous price.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

One spare is all I keep now of my favorites. At one point I had 8 bottles of Parker Penman Sapphire. Now down to 2.5 bottles, and may never finish them off. Sold the others for an outrageous price.

Not a bad position to be in, selling off those bottles. Makes me wish I had stockpiled Sailor Yama dori before it got discontinued. Would be nice to have a self-funding hobby!!

ETA: I was just informed that Yamadori is still available -- in the Sailor Shikiori lineup of inks. It's now a 20ml bottle for about 14 bucks instead of a 50ml bottle for 16-18 bucks.

Edited by sirgilbert357

A local artisanal bakery makes a limited number of each cake, biscuit, sandwich, danish each day. They often run out of the favourites, but they use this as a marketing technique. They use local ingredients, and bake the things the baker that day is best at, which means that they make changes from day to day (Fridays are almond croissant day) The idea is that everything tastes good, but people get stuck in a rut and only try the same thing over and over again. So they started making a limited number and encouraging their customers to try new things. It worked.

That said, I do stock up on my favourite bread and put a loaf or two in the freezer for emergencies. But for everyday snacks, I'm quite happy to pick whatever's in stock that day.

I don't stock up on ink, or at least I never did in the past. But now I've discovered that some inks are better than others (I'm currently in love with my Take Sunmi iroshizuku ink by Pilot), I may just have to buy an extra bottle for emergencies.

My thoughts: If an ink gives us joy to look at in the bottle, then by all means, hoard it and keep it safe. If an ink gives more pleasure by being used, then extract every drop of pleasure by using it and when it's gone, discover a new favourite.

Edited by the-smell-of-dust-after-rain

petrichor

There's a few inks I have definitely have backup bottles for. But the only ones I have multiple backups of are some vintage inks. And maybe De Atramentis Red Roses (which is the first ink I actually went through a full bottle of, and which isn't always available).

I'm not all that worried, because I have so many inks it will take me years to go through most of them. I am somewhat sorry I didn't get a third full bottle of Lamy Dark Lilac when I had the chance. And someday I might break down and get a 100 ml bottle of J Herbin Eclat de Saphir, because it does so well in my Parker 61s. But I have bottles of ink that I've never even opened yet (a few of the colors of the Diamine Flower Collection, and some freebie black inks that were swag at various pen shows). Heck, I have ink *samples* I haven't tried yet, for one reason or another.

So I'm not overly worried. Yeah, I'd be bummed if something happened like breaking one of my bottles of Smoky Quartz. But with the amount of writing I do, and given that I'm often refilling pens with distilled water rather then flushing them outright, I think I'll get by. And I doubt I'll ever get through some of the Diamine and Akkerman inks, just because of the capacity. The only ones I'm *really* hoarding? FPN Member Pharmicist's Turkish Night IG ink (which is maybe dumb because the iron could precipitate out, but I only have a single small bottle of it, and he hasn't been around for a while). And my bottle of (old version) Sailor Jentle Sky High. I'm not remotely convinced that Souten is the same. And I can't tell if the new stuff is the same formulation as the old version I have.

I don't even have a back up of MB Beatles Psychedelic Purple LE -- and that one I've used a fair amount since I got it last year, because it did so well in the Pelikan M120 Iconic Blue (but even then I suspect I've still probably got 3/4 of a bottle's worth.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA: Oh, and I still have one (possibly partial) cartridge left of PPS.... Which is looking for a special occasion....

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

If an ink gives more pleasure by being used, then extract every drop of pleasure by using it and when it's gone, discover a new favourite.

I hope to someday be on that level, but when I've searched high and low for my favorite blue, and settle on one, I don't want to have it discontinued and have to start over! Same with browns and greens. I have my favorite from those three color families and I don't really use any other colors, so I think it would be less stress to stockpile! LOL.

There's a few inks I have definitely have backup bottles for. But the only ones I have multiple backups of are some vintage inks. And maybe De Atramentis Red Roses (which is the first ink I actually went through a full bottle of, and which isn't always available).

I'm not all that worried, because I have so many inks it will take me years to go through most of them. I am somewhat sorry I didn't get a third full bottle of Lamy Dark Lilac when I had the chance. And someday I might break down and get a 100 ml bottle of J Herbin Eclat de Saphir, because it does so well in my Parker 61s. But I have bottles of ink that I've never even opened yet (a few of the colors of the Diamine Flower Collection, and some freebie black inks that were swag at various pen shows). Heck, I have ink *samples* I haven't tried yet, for one reason or another.

So I'm not overly worried. Yeah, I'd be bummed if something happened like breaking one of my bottles of Smoky Quartz. But with the amount of writing I do, and given that I'm often refilling pens with distilled water rather then flushing them outright, I think I'll get by. And I doubt I'll ever get through some of the Diamine and Akkerman inks, just because of the capacity. The only ones I'm *really* hoarding? FPN Member Pharmicist's Turkish Night IG ink (which is maybe dumb because the iron could precipitate out, but I only have a single small bottle of it, and he hasn't been around for a while). And my bottle of (old version) Sailor Jentle Sky High. I'm not remotely convinced that Souten is the same. And I can't tell if the new stuff is the same formulation as the old version I have.

I don't even have a back up of MB Beatles Psychedelic Purple LE -- and that one I've used a fair amount since I got it last year, because it did so well in the Pelikan M120 Iconic Blue (but even then I suspect I've still probably got 3/4 of a bottle's worth.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA: Oh, and I still have one (possibly partial) cartridge left of PPS.... Which is looking for a special occasion....

Ruth: all the Jentle inks are being renamed and no longer sold in 50ml bottles. They will be under the name Shikiori now and only available in 20ml bottles at about 14 bucks. So the colors aren't supposed to change, but who knows. Might not matter for you, but figured I'd mention it.

PS: if you like Parker Penman Sapphire, you should get a sample of Sailor Hatsukoi (First Love Sapphire) if you haven't already. I had some PPS at one point and did a side by side with Hatsukoi and literally could not tell the difference when they dried. But the Sailor flowed easier than the PPS in my pens...

Got 100+ different inks ... yeah, I know, more than I might use in my life but they are small and stock nicely. :rolleyes: I like all of them and love most of them.

I have 10-15 Lamy LE copper orange and neon coral cartridges plus the ink bottles "stocked up" but that's only because I couldn't get the bottles in Germany. Found away around that problem, thankfully. B)

Anyway, I usually don't stock up on one ink even if I love it a lot. 50ml or 30ml last me quite a long time, as I tend to switch my favourite ink colour regularly. But that's just me! :)

i don't stock any inks either. If they're gone, they're gone and I just bite the bullet and keep 'em aside for special use only. E.g. most LEs. Or old faves like Grand Canyon etc. I just use them seldom; for everyday usage I stick to anything new that's still available like most Diamines etc.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Ruth: all the Jentle inks are being renamed and no longer sold in 50ml bottles. They will be under the name Shikiori now and only available in 20ml bottles

Only the old Shikisai range of sixteen Jentle inks have been rebranded as Shikiori inks alongside the four colours in the tsukuyo-no-minamo range; these will be sold in 20ml bottles in the new design with the square footprint.

The old Sailor Jentle Black, Jentle Blue Black and Jentle Blue inks will continue to be packaged and sold in 50ml bottles (again, in the new design with the square footprint) and without the word Jentle in their names. Some other old Jentle colours will now be sold in ink cartridges only, again without the word Jentle in their names.

Some other Sailor Jentle inks, e.g. Apricot, Epinard and Grenade, have been discontinued altogether (but that isn't news).

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I'm never going to use all of the single servings of ink I have now, so I have zero desire to stockpile anything except for saving good bottles like the Parker Penman, Akkerman, and Lamy.

Hi

I never intended to stock pile ink - it just happened.

There are just so many nice colours before you know it your strict one at a time rule has just vanished and your staring at several large 'Really Useful' boxes overflowing with inks.

It's an accidental addiction.

Have fun and buy what you want,

Al :)

Only the old Shikisai range of sixteen Jentle inks have been rebranded as Shikiori inks alongside the four colours in the tsukuyo-no-minamo range; these will be sold in 20ml bottles in the new design with the square footprint.

The old Sailor Jentle Black, Jentle Blue Black and Jentle Blue inks will continue to be packaged and sold in 50ml bottles (again, in the new design with the square footprint) and without the word Jentle in their names. Some other old Jentle colours will now be sold in ink cartridges only, again without the word Jentle in their names.

Some other Sailor Jentle inks, e.g. Apricot, Epinard and Grenade, have been discontinued altogether (but that isn't news).

Ah, my apologies, correct you are. Thanks for the detailed info Smug Dill!

Since I was feeling less worried about the supply of Yama dori last night, I inked a Wing Sung 3008 that has a Lamy B nib on it and wrote a couple of pages. That sheen out of a wet nib is awesome! Love this ink.

J. Herbin Lie de Thè has to me always seemed really similar to Pelikan Edelstein Smoky Quartz. The Writing Desk offer certain J. Herbin inks in 100ml bottles (this one as well), which should last you a fairly long time. I haven't tried Smoky Quartz, but I can vouch for Lie de Thè being one of the smoothest-writing inks I've tried (only surpassed by certain Sailor Jentle inks).

Dominique

Edited by by_a_Lady

Snail Mail

(fluent in SK, CZ, DE, EN

currently learning EO, JP, NL)

"It just happened" is right! Certain staple inks I have gotten a second bottle of. And I do have enough inks that in rotation I should never need more.

HOWEVER, what we soon find out that it's not just about colors, it also about characteristics such as Wet to Dry and different flow character that may be perfect for a certain pen or pens.

My discovery last week was that while Sheaffer Skrip Black (cartridge) may be considered a dry ink it is noticeably wetter than Lamy Blue Black out of the bottle (into an empty Sheaffer cartridge). And that Lamy in particular works much better with a Sheaffer Imperial-style nib unit than the Skrip - it is one of the wettest nib & feeds that I own. (And I like WET, but this one really had to be tamed.)

So that somewhat delightful combination confirms that Color is not the only choice. And leads to more inks. (And yes, Bo Bo, more papers. :D )

Waterman Black into my Pilot Falcon SM is actually too much, too broad, unless I want it that way (which I don't, although that discovery surprised me a bit, I mean that I don't want it that way).

So it goes on. I am at an ink plateau right now so for any more purchases some specific goal or problem needs to be present. Else, I'm good.

Ink-a-dink-a-do!

Edited by LanceSaintPaul