Is Gaiman Using A Pelikan?

shawnee

I'm taking the Neil Gaiman masterclass right now and noticed in the promo video that he's using two different fountain pens (Gaiman is an renowned FP lover).

Have a look at this still I took - is this a Pelikan? If so, do you know which one? It's driving me nuts, even more so on the second pen which I can't even narrow down to brand....

post-121617-0-63224600-1548857321_thumb.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shawnee

• dennis_f

• Driften

• inkstainedruth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not a Pelikan. He uses an amber Pilot Custom 823 M (main autograph pen as of recently), Lamy 2000 and a Pilot VP. I have heard that he has a collection of about 40-60 pens (that was some years ago though). The pen in the pic... is not any of the three mentioned (Custom 823 doesn't have a section trim ring and that pen has a flat top).

How do you like that Masterclass so far? Been thinking about it...

What's this master class? Is it something online? How much does it cost? (I already have been joking about "Is there anything he CAN'T do?")

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Looks like 180 USD? I don't know though. I am also very interested, I will have to research this more.

Also, I agree that it looks like a falcon.

"Why me?"
"That is a very Earthling question to ask, Mr. Pilgrim. Why you? Why us for that matter? Why anything? Because this moment simply is. Have you ever seen bugs trapped in amber?"
"Yes."

"Well, here we are, Mr. Pilgrim, trapped in the amber of this moment. There is no why."

-Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughterhouse-Five

Not a Pelikan. He uses an amber Pilot Custom 823 M (main autograph pen as of recently), Lamy 2000 and a Pilot VP. I have heard that he has a collection of about 40-60 pens (that was some years ago though). The pen in the pic... is not any of the three mentioned (Custom 823 doesn't have a section trim ring and that pen has a flat top).

Im only two classes in, but I love Neil. He could probably read his grocery list and Id listen.

In that large world tour that had a documentary to go with it he used an Amber Pilot 823 with a B nib for the autographs not M. He did say he has used a Lamy 2000 in M for writing. He has a lot of pens and I assume in more then one nib size.

I paid for the year of access to Masterclass as well and will be starting with Neil. I want to hone my writing craft.

I read an interview not too long ago -- say in the past 4-5 years -- in which he said he liked "funky" pens, and mentioned that he preferred a Jean Lepine pen (with a "funky clip") more than a Montblanc (I'm not montblanc bashing... and I don't think that was his point either... I think he was just talking about preferring the styling of the one over the other). I also saw one of his Twitter or Instagram posts sometime in the past 2 years in which he was showing off his new Lamy 2000 Steel, which had been gifted to him by Lamy.

Pretty sure thats a Pilot Falcon.

I have three... One Namiki marked, one Pilot marked, and a Pilot Falcon II... All three have hump-backed nibs that sort of taper from section to tip.

That looks more like the FA nib on my Custom 912 -- but it appears to have trim ring near the end of the section that I don't have (could just be lighting).

Thanks all. What a talented group. Is there a FP you cant identify ? LOL.

The master class is only $90. Its $180 if you decide you want the annual all access pass.

https://www.masterclass.com/classes/neil-gaiman-teaches-the-art-of-storytelling

$90? Man.... How did I not know of this before now? :wallbash:

That's not that more expensive than the creative writing class I just signed up for at my local community college....

Are these interactive? My sister-in-law teaches computer classes for businesses and sometimes recently she's been teaching remotely (over Skype, I think).

I wasn't kidding before. He writes, he draws, he sings a little (yes, I found a video of him on YouTube at some SF convention singing the theme song from the old TV show Fireball XL-5, which I don't remember anything about not except that I watched it when I was around four...). He writes with fountain pens. Plus, he's kinda hot looking.... :wub:

Sigh....

ETA: Okay, make that a little more than kinda.... :rolleyes:

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

$90? Man.... How did I not know of this before now? :wallbash:

That's not that more expensive than the creative writing class I just signed up for at my local community college....

Are these interactive? My sister-in-law teaches computer classes for businesses and sometimes recently she's been teaching remotely (over Skype, I think).

I wasn't kidding before. He writes, he draws, he sings a little (yes, I found a video of him on YouTube at some SF convention singing the theme song from the old TV show Fireball XL-5, which I don't remember anything about not except that I watched it when I was around four...). He writes with fountain pens. Plus, he's kinda hot looking.... :wub:

Sigh....

ETA: Okay, make that a little more than kinda.... :rolleyes:

The best is the $180 for the year of all the classes you want. There are eight different writing classes. I'm looking forward to Dan Brown and James Patterson after I finish the Neil Gaiman one.

I have three... One Namiki marked, one Pilot marked, and a Pilot Falcon II... All three have hump-backed nibs that sort of taper from section to tip.

That looks more like the FA nib on my Custom 912 -- but it appears to have trim ring near the end of the section that I don't have (could just be lighting).

The nib threw me off a little as well, but gold trims and trim at end of the section makes me think its a falcon. Perhaps lighting makes the nib look like that or exchanged nibs somehow? I dont think custom 912 comes in gold trims, does it?

• 3 weeks later...