The Exuberance Of Danitrio-Some Hyper Pens

jandrese

Yesterday, I stopped at my local Danitrio fountain pen dealer and stumbled upon a parade of stratospheric pens. I just had to snap some pictures. Unbelievably, these pens represent but a fraction of the hyper pens available in the same trays.

First up is the Genkai style 100 Kids design--it is truly extraordinary. I have several from the same artist but none like this!

46198456014_9aa3d41ec9_k.jpg

Next a Kaijin style Ebisu (A god of seven) design by Kogaku

46923305681_8ae0b8c7f6_k.jpg

Then a Yokuzuna aka kyokuchi style emperor dragon design--indescribable beauty and technical prowess

46198456324_46f54e9848_k.jpg

The self described #50 gigantic nib, which looks like custom work.

46923306291_4014e420d1_k.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jandrese

• Lloyd

• jar

• Texas42

Top Posters In This Topic

Lovely photos. Thank you for sharing. I shudder to think of the price of that Yokozuna. 😀

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

> think of the price of that Yokozuna.

Looking at the prices of Danitrios at their HP, $30K+ is a safe guess.

The 100Kids is listed as $32K.

What's the sound of One Kid Playing?

http://www.fototime.com/8C5E950C3E5DF03/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/4C3A65FCAB7CC53/medium800.jpg

Momotaro

Edited by jar

My Website

Yesterday, I stopped at my local Danitrio fountain pen dealer ...

You have a local Danitrio dealer? What mythic land do you live in?

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

What's the sound of One Kid Playing?

http://www.fototime.com/4C3A65FCAB7CC53/medium800.jpg

Momotaro

That's awesome, thanks for sharing.

You have a local Danitrio dealer? What mythic land do you live in?

My thoughts exactly!

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

Texas! I'm always in Houston.

I guess I shouldn't move to Houston. I'd be like a diabetic living in Hershey, PA.

Oscar Wilde

I guess I shouldn't move to Houston. I'd be like a diabetic living in Hershey, PA.

Long long ago in a land far far away I had a friend who taught English literature at an all girl's boarding school and also had a part time job at a brewery. Nice guy, smiled a lot but died young.

My Website

It's not the years in your life but the life in your years.

Oscar Wilde

$30K for a pen?

Yes, and no. That much money and more. Pen and not, something more. There is less impressive art lining the halls of museums worldwide. Holding it in you hand is an experience unlike any other. The work is transcendent. Even if the visual does not impress you there is the technical element. If that fails to impress you consider the experience and the patient perfection of the work. There are layers to the understanding and there are no weaknesses.

Yes, and no. That much money and more. Pen and not, something more. There is less impressive art lining the halls of museums worldwide. Holding it in you hand is an experience unlike any other. The work is transcendent. Even if the visual does not impress you there is the technical element. If that fails to impress you consider the experience and the patient perfection of the work. There are layers to the understanding and there are no weaknesses.

Here is the image of Momotaro; one example of a kid by the same artist as the 100 Kids. The closer I look the more amazed I am at just how much work is actually involved in the subject. What looks like a few pretty simply line drawings actually are really very complex congregations of many, many individual strokes. Maybe these images may help explain the time and labor involved.

http://www.fototime.com/14A19931EE5A092/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/4C3A65FCAB7CC53/standard.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/C6AF580BAAC19AD/xlarge.jpg

The color of the peach or jacket or pants are not just one shade but rather varied to slightly change the perception just as you see in reality; an attempt to add depth and contours. What look like a line turns out to be thousands of individual parallel strokes to again add depth. Things like his sash and the twine used to tie his top knot are not just one line but rather many many strokes to duplicate thread. His hair and eyebrows and eyes and lashes are all complex objects precisely placed.

And for the person who grew up in the Culture the simple drawing also encompasses the whole Momotaro saga. That's true with the 100 Kids pens as well. The seeming play of the kids incorporates customs and folk tales and tradition and regionalism and reflects an image of Japan similar to the America of a Currier & Ives print.

Edited by jar

My Website

Kevin Cheng used to bring 5-6 trays of such pens to Pen Posse.

I miss Kevin. Is he still involved with FP's in any way?

the Danitrio Fellowship

I miss Kevin. Is he still involved with FP's in any way?

+1000

Oscar Wilde