Kaweco Sport Sterling

Lynx3008

Hi Kaweco friends,

just learned that a Kaweco Sport Sterling will be released in 2019.

The price - confirmed by Kaweco - will be 1500 Euro. (No, that's not a mistake...)

Mimi

I would have liked to have a Sterling in my collection as I love silver pens, but this price is far beyond ...

Edited by Lynx3008

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lynx3008

• mana

• Astronymus

• inkstainedruth

I just plugged that price into a currency converter website. That's over $1700 US.... :yikes:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I just sent an e-mail to my distributor about the Sterling Sport asking about the price before coming to FPN. I guess I'll never own this pen then, 1500 euros is waaaaaaaaay too much even if it's solid silver. Also for that much money that nib better be 18k gold plated with rhodium (but I'd put good money on it that it's just a stainless steel nib)

The price of scrap 925 silver is 0.36 euros/gram. That pen is 56g according to Kaweco, that's like 18 euros in raw materials.

This is a fountain pen forum. Rational has nothing to do with it.

Well said!

And 56g of silver needs quite bit of work to be turned into fountain pen. There is always more than just material cost.

Well said!

And 56g of silver needs quite bit of work to be turned into fountain pen. There is always more than just material cost.

This can't be so much work compared to the other metal versions. It's just a fantasy price.

I couldn't bring myself to spend that much on a Kaweco Sport no mater what it was made of!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

1500€? :o

That is in the same price range as the sterling silver Montblanc Martelé and there is absolutely no contest which I would choose if I had the means (MB all the way). That price... boggles the mind.

Who makes the nib & feed?

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

1500€? :o

That is in the same price range as the sterling silver Montblanc Martelé and there is absolutely no contest which I would choose if I had the means (MB all the way). That price... boggles the mind.

The Otto Hutt 07 is made of 925 silver as well and the price is 540 € and a Waldmann Tango with gold nib will be yours for 380 €.

Nib and feed of the Sterling Sport should be made by Bock as the other Kaweco nibs and feeds.

Mimi

I hVe ordered expensive special editions before, and although they may be overpriced, there were some redeeming features. I have the special piston edition sport and although expensive in comparison with the standard models, the piston, large gold nib (a No 5 but longer) and machined construction partly justified (not at the MSRP), but this? 1500 Euros for a pen that is virtually indistinguishable from the steel model? No piston, no engraving, nothing. I would thi k it unjustifiable at half the MSRP. Sorry Kaweco. No chance.

Gistar

Nib and feed of the Sterling Sport should be made by Bock as the other Kaweco nibs and feeds.

Didn't they change their manufacturer recently?

I hVe ordered expensive special editions before, and although they may be overpriced, there were some redeeming features. I have the special piston edition sport and although expensive in comparison with the standard models, the piston, large gold nib (a No 5 but longer) and machined construction partly justified (not at the MSRP), but this?

Never heard about a "special piston edition" of the Kaweco Sport. Could you please tell me more about this pen?

Mimi

It was a Kaweco Sport that came in two limited editions released in 2000, piston filler machined out of green & bronze celluloid.

More info here (an old sales add from FPN but it contains good pictures): https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/139312-fs-kaweco-sport-limited-celluloid-edition-from-2000/

Edit: Oh, forgot one thing, it was manufactured by Visconti.

Edited by mana

It was a Kaweco Sport that came in two limited editions released in 2000, piston filler machined out of green & bronze celluloid.

More info here (an old sales add from FPN but it contains good pictures): https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/139312-fs-kaweco-sport-limited-celluloid-edition-from-2000/

And if anyone is interested to purchase the original set, there is one listed on US EBAY, item # 22330078006 ("Kaweco anniversary set/green celluloid") by Seller, airlineinternational,listed for sale $1950.00 or Best Offer.

I have never purchased anything from this Seller but they have 100% feedback, 2200 & seem to often have older edition pens available.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not complaining about either limited edition prices in general, or sterling silver. I love silver pens and this got me very excited but the price is just not competitive. Maybe they see this as a very luxe sort of thing but you can get a lot more from MB, Yard o Led, etc. in sterling silver.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the interesting links.

Mimi