The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Kaweco: Mini Piston Or Squeeze Converter

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 sciumbasci

sciumbasci

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2019 - 19:51

But, to be honest, Don't buy the kaweco sport. Just get a delike alpha in brass, aluminum or resin for the price of a kaweco sport. it's about a centimeter longer and can accommodate a proper converter, INCLUDES a converter, and includes a clip. The brass one can be polished up with some light sandpaper to remove the lacquer and give you that nice patina for a pittance.
fpn_1560903412__20180920_220118.jpg

Delike discontinued the Daimao, sadly. And the other acrylics I just cant bring myself to like them.

1-Please note that Im not interested in making more of these convertors,
[/color]
The drawing is attached, so feel free to make your own when interested !

2- For Tweel : Could your please check the dimensions and confirm the convertor will fit in your pen? Let me know If the convertor could be longer,

I can stilll elongate the bulb so the ink intake would increase  !

edited-image_21.png

RIP.
I have the manual skills of a dead sloth, hence im not even trying to attempt such a contraption, for it is out of my capabilities.
I hope someone picks this interesting design up and starts selling it.

Edited by sciumbasci, 23 June 2019 - 19:53.

Sponsored Content

#42 fountainbel

fountainbel

fountainbel

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,789 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 June 2019 - 10:42

Hi all,

I was informed by fellow member Tweel  the barrel bore is rather un-deep , and that it would be possible to drill the bore 9-10 mm deeper.

In this case the bulb convertor could be  made proportionally longer , allowing an ink intake of 1.5 ml.

Best,

Francis

PS : Below an optimized sketch of the "standard" bulb convertor which can be used on the actual "Kaweco sport" pens.

edited-image_22.png

#43 tinta

tinta

Zoë-kutya

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,708 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2019 - 22:23

I have not had positive results with a Kaweco mini converter. 

Even their international-fit Kaweco-branded converters, for their longer pens (Dia2, Kaweco Special FP.....) have leakage problems, bubbles, at least with me.  (I've switched to a Visconti converter in a long Kaweco Pen)

But, the Brass Sport is a relatively short pen which would work best with International short carts of your choice, even refilled ones.

Wow , I just wanted to post a quick update , perhaps an amendment to what I said above. 

So, I clicked onto the next two pages of this interesting thread, at least I "tried" to read the pages that filled up since I first wrote.   After a loooooooong wait the second page popped in.  Such dense, detailed content.  To get to page three,  some more waiting & more fascinating content to read & look at.

My update here is not exactly about the original question about a mini squeeze converter to fit a Kaweco.  I stand by what I said about Kaweco's mini-piston & mini-bulb converter, that the design is still a work in progress.  For the modern small-sized Kaweco pens I just use international carts.  For colours there are lots of options, particularly from Diamine.  For me, good old Pelikan 4001 blue/black suffices as the standard. This (rather dull) colour can be sourced through the UK.

Now the good news:                     ......my Kaweco-branded large piston converter "suddenly" started working perfecly (the way I'm sure the manufacturer intended) after I installed it into one of my slim Kaweco "Special" FP pens.  When I plugged the converter in , it must have formed a close to perfect seal because the piston was now actually raising quite a good column of ink with very few bubbles, & on the first stroke.  (I usually fill with three stokes + 2 drops + pull back the plunger, then wipe.)

By the time I cycled the converter with ink for the second time, its tube was completely filled.  I decided to use a mild iron-gall ink like Platinum blue/black.  This Kaweco-branded converter worked just as well as my trusty Schmidt K5s used to.  All this winter I filled this same pen+ converter combo with a whole variety of ferrogallic inks, flushed & dried the pen each time in between fills,...no issues, just happy writing. 

Although Visconti's converter made a solid connection into my Special's section, but its tube would not fit into the narrow tube that forms the pen's barrel. 

Kaweco's own converter has such a close fit in the Special's slim barrel that there is non of the rattle that you sometimes get with other pen & converter combinations.  This converter seems a winner with my Kaweco Specials.

Yet, when I installed the same Kaweco piston converter into my old Kaweco Dia2 pens, there seemed to be poor sealing at the nipple, resulting in a tube full of bubbles, almost no suction,...the converters seemed useless. 

I dedicated my Dia2s for use with just international cartridges, but that was limiting.  They were otherwise great pens, though I passed on both the pens to new users. 

So, now I revise what I said about the Kaweco-branded large (clear plastic) converter with a metallic silver ring at its mouth. It works the way it should.   My troubles with this Kaweco accessory may have been :blush: operator error on my part.

Edited by tinta, 26 July 2019 - 23:48.

*Sailor 1911-M, Black/gold, 14c. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *2 Sailor 1911-M Burgundy/gold pens: 14c. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 1.1 mm. CI (JM) *Sailor Standard sized Brown Marbled Mozaique,(machined acrylic/rhodium),14c. 1.0 mm.CI (JM) *2 Kaweco SPECIAL fountain pens: 14c."M" "B",-0.5 mm & 0.7 mm (BLS) *Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14c "B" -0.6 mm. (BLS) *Montblanc 254, 14c. "BB" (1.1 mm?) flügelfeder factory stub

Sponsored Content

|