Kaweco: Mini Piston Or Squeeze Converter

KaB

I'm planning on buying a Kaweco Brass Sport.

What's best to complement it with: the mini piston converter or the mini squeeze converter (and why)?

247254751_TSUKI-Yo_emptycompressedverkleind.gif.bfc6147ec85572db950933e0fa1b6100.gif

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fountainbel

• Tweel

• KaB

• TheDutchGuy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Spare yourself the trouble and use cartridges. Another option is to use any of those converters and refill them with a blunt syringe.

Have had no luck with any of the squeeze converters.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Honestly, I'd just stick a cartridge in it. The mini-converter holds so little ink anyway that the cartridge makes more sense here.

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

Events may be horrible or inescapable. Men always have a choice - if not whether, then how they endure.

- Lois McMaster Bujold

I have not had positive results with a Kaweco mini converter.

Even their international-fit Kaweco-branded converters, for their longer pens (Dia2, Kaweco Special FP.....) have leakage problems, bubbles, at least with me. (I've switched to a Visconti converter in a long Kaweco Pen)

But, the Brass Sport is a relatively short pen which would work best with International short carts of your choice, even refilled ones.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

What rafapa said, stick to using cartridges and refill them with siringe, if you want to use bottled ink. It will save you few bucks and will spare you of headache.

Edited by MilanKov

If you win over your own stupidity then are you winner or loser? In any case it means something good.

I do own 2 Kaweco mini convertors that i use in Franklin Christoph 45 XLV and pocket 20 short pens and they do work perfectly. Capacity including feeder is between 0,5 and 0,8 ml depending on the pen. enough for 10-20 A5 pages.

I offered 2 kaweco AC sport carbons to two friends including the mini converters and they share my exact opinion.

post-135914-0-47056600-1549014398.jpg

Edited by inkking

The converter leaks behind the piston seal. The sac converter would need something like a breather tube to work properly.

Both contain a tiny amount of ink anyway.

Just refill cartridges.

I haven't tried the syringe converter. I hated the old press-bar squeeze converter; I do use the newer bulb-style squeeze converter and it works just fine for me. The trick, such as it is, is simply to let it draw in however much ink it can, turn the nib upwards and burp out the air, then repeat. It's quicker to do than it sounds.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

I refill my cartridges. I have two Kaweco sports, both came with defected cartridge that just refused to work. I'm using Diamine cartridge now and refill with blunt syringe as needed. Kaweco converter capacity is just too small and I have heard too many bad experiences. Also, I feel that they will be as problematic as their cartridges.

The squeeze converter is useless. I would also recommend cartridges, or get a vintage, piston filler sport. V16s with steel nibs are relatively cheap and reasonably plentiful.

• 3 weeks later...

Cartridges, cartridges, cartridges.

Most of my research points to this after the fact...

Do not make the mistake I did buying a AL Sport with Mini Piston Converter unless you know the year of stock your vendor is selling.

Turns out my "New" AL Sport did not fit the Mini Piston Converter. :(

No word of this on the Kaweco website.

It took some researching to find one vendor, JetPens with this caution, "Note: This converter may not be compatible with Kaweco AL or AC Sport Fountain Pens produced before 2016."

Luckily I had spare short international cartridges and they work great. :)

I recommend using cartridges that you can easily refill using a 0.2 ml disposable plastic pipette. I find the pipettes to be more compact and practical than syringe filling. You can source a lifetime supply of pipettes on Amazon for about $20.

Well I have used squeeze converter for past one year...

As much as it's pain to fill but it works for me ...

Always on my self ground stub nib Burgundy kaweco Sport

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

They are both terrible, the piston converter can be tamed with silicone grease but that only lasts for some time, it just burped Poppy Red from the wrong side all over my hands when trying to refill... I'm afraid my conclusion is still not to get a Kaweco Sport, unless you only use cartridges.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

The squeeze converter holds so little ink I dont bother with it. The piston is a little better but not by much. I used a DIY squeeze bulb a few times (a #20 sac shellacked onto a cut-down cartridge) but ultimately found that refilling cartridges was the way to go for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I do own 2 Kaweco mini convertors ... and they do work perfectly. Capacity including feeder is between 0,5 and 0,8 ml depending on the pen. enough for 10-20 A5 pages.

+1. Exactly. I've got a number of them and they've never let me down in any way. In addition to being suitable for short pens, they're also suitable for slim pens. I've got one in my old Sheaffer Targa Slim (good luck trying to find an original converter for that pen!). In my experience these little converters are practical, economical, reliable and cute.