What Is A "bullet Journal"?

TLMG

Maybe I am getting old but, for the life of me, I can't understand what exactly

"bullet journaling" is?

It seems to be taking the world by storm, and people seem to be going nuts

about it... but any time I try to research it, all I see are people doodling, writing

notes, and making calendars. I'm sure I'm missing something (but I dont want

to drop $20 on the "how to" book unless it is actually going to be worth it.

I also see many members here discussing bullet journaling, so I know it's not

just a weird fad. I feel like I am missing out by not starting to do it, but I dont

even understand what it is.

Can anyone here give me some information?

Thanks!

Edited by UltimatePenPolish

Montblanc Pen PolishFountain Pen Flush

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sailor Kenshin

• DrDebG

• JonSzanto

• praxim

Beware of anyone who says a bullet journal can be "anything you want." When I heard this, I imagine the look on my face was no different than the one on hers when I said I wanted mine to be a photo booth. Short answer: a bullet journal is a planner-plus, and the plus can't be a photo booth but it can be a scrapbook-like thingy or just about anything you might write in. At its core, however, it's a planner.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

I'll admit that I was in total agreement with UltimatePenPolish. After watching the video, I can see where it might have applications for business use. But seems like an awful lot of work for someone who could just as easily make a daily "to do" list or keep a calendar or a day planner....

Maybe my brain just works differently from that of the guy on the video (my husband is scared sometimes about the little details that I both notice AND remember... :rolleyes:).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I agree with Ruth, a "bullet journal" is just a to do list.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

I use elements of the bullet journal method and I find it very helpful. It is an organisational system based around calendars and to do lists, encouraging me to get a bit of structure into my personal planning, finances etc. It's a simple method of breaking down ideas into bullets, can be used for project organisation, goal setting, achievement tracking. It can also be very creative and calming (mine isn't, mine is just loads of to-do lists).

The vid Carlos posted is from the originator, and the site mentioned at the end of the vid gives the complete, and originally-intended, makings and methodology of the Bullet Journal (now commonly: BuJo). With those two sources you have a handle on it, and everyone else's take is window dressing, expressivity and whatnot.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I do not follow the Bullet Journal System. However, I have used the trigger to invent my own sub-classing system whereby I know what a point is about, and manage shifts in time or between points. I have my own general paradigm for dealing with issues.

BJS and its many variations provide an organising principle and practice for non-computer-based [self-]organisation.

The previous wave was GTD, which was highly computer-oriented and more narrowly focussed.

X

The original video and written tips are great. Might need to use the way back machine to find the earlier written stuff. As I understand Ryder had difficulty keeping his life, projects, todos, together. He couldn’t follow for any period of time the rules and section flipping of planners. Trial and error got him to the Bullet Journal.

After skimming I find the book lacking the initial clarity of the video and early explanation.

It’s a portable notebook (usually 5X8) with numbered pages and an Index (the most critical part IMO). From then on you just write down on the next available blank or two blank pages what you need to write down.

The problem many people have with the system is not having defined sections like most planners, yet it is these sections and their rules that cause them to be stuffed in a drawer after some weeks. In BuJo you just put things down on the next black page. Doesn’t matter if the page before was listing of things for your next trip. What makes it work is the Index. The Index shows you where everything is. Your notes on a project maybe on pages 17-23, 45, 78-96. In between are pages of daily stuff, other lists (Collections), random writings or drawings, blank pages because you skipped (they can be filled in later with other lists, writings, drawing or left blank. Paper is cheap). I think of it like a computer hard drive. The computer writes to the hard drive your notes, spreadsheet, photos, in any order it wants. Your great novel is scattered all over it the HD with chapter 22 before chapter 3. It doesn’t matter because the computer (Index) keeps track of everything. You don’t waste time figuring if this bit of info belongs on page 37 or maybe belongs in two lists because you just put it in the Index in 1, 2, 4 places and it’s not lost.

I sometimes flip the notebook over and start a project from back to front. Who cares, it’s in the Index.

I did a house demo and build using this system. I did it in several 3X5” notebooks for portability. One notebook was my main index and day to day todos and was always carried. Another usually stayed at home, was also indexed but was mostly for order of/steps for project. Notes from County, permits needed and status. Another for appliance info, paint colors, flooring. Another for yard designs. None of these were notebooks were locked into a topic. If I happened to think of something about flooring and I only had the permits notebook with me I’d find a blank page and write it down. Later I’d copy or even cutout the page and tape in the other little notebook. If using a regular 5X8” I’d just write down right there and Index. No wasted time looking for the flooring pages. Just write it down and get it out of your mind. Over and done, move on.

One thing I did with my project was to take phone photos immediately of important pages, phone numbers, information. At the time I used EverNote, today might use OneNote. This was for two reasons. If I lost that notebook, i was so dead. If I was someplace and didn’t have my notebook, again wasted time and energy. With a program like EverNote and my phone I had backup and info with me always.

My life was pretty straight forward during this project, didn’t have a job so didn’t need much future planning in the notebooks. Most future meetings or dental appointments were put in the smartphone and moved into weekly, daily schedule as needed.

Another thing I like about BuJo is I can change my layout at anytime. Areas can expand or contract. If my schedule changes or don’t like the symbols I use, turn to the next blank page and start again. No new notebook or system to research, study, purchase.

The lack of structure and few blank pages between things bothers some people but the structure is there in the Index. I find it a very freeing system as there is no system for me to learn, messup. My BuJo is not to please you but only to make my life easier.

As for the artwork, boxes, fold outs they don’t work for me. The clutter confuses and distracts me. If it is some form of meditation, easing of stress for others that’s good.

The Index is the key.

I was wondering the same thing. After viewing the video, I can surly say it's not for me. My life just isn't that complicated any more. A simple journal of what happened today and a simple to do list work for me. I do keep two to do lists, one of things to do in the short term and future projects that depend on time, want to, or cost that I would like to do someday.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

The power of the bullet journal is in my opinion the migration of tasks.

You had tasks listed yesterday you didn´t get to? You migrate them: put an arrow in front of them and list the tasks again today. If there are tasks you keep migrating, the system forces you to think about those tasks. "I haven´t done that task for four days. What is the reason I postpone it?"

Regarding the index, I use also forward and backward chaining. If a component skips pages then the last page of the previous section has a page pointer to the next section, e.g -->42 and the first of the next a pointer back, e.g. 29<--. This saves flipping back and forth to the index when re-reading stuff. The index is just an entry point and reference to all the relevant page sections.

Reiterating, I do not use the BJS as it is described though. These are components of my own system for managing projects and text, in which I use changed, different and additional symbols for purposes not referenced in BJS.

X

A couple of things I find interesting about the "Bullet Journal" movement is that is it eschews technology in favor of "old-fashioned" pen and paper and that the "younger generation is embracing it in favor of tech-based options. It's worth noting that, at least as far as the Reddit posts are concerned, the practice is helping promote the use of fountain pens among a segment of the enthusiasts.

Bullet Journals can be customized, which gives then an advantage over established systems, whether analog or electronic.

Anything that promotes the use of fountains pens is a plus in my book.

Mike

Bullet Journals can be whatever you want them to be - the point is that they can be customized to fit any situation.

My 2 cents:

Not a journal as it's not a written account of one's life and thoughts, not a planner in that it's more than bullet lists.

I think the name, in a way, says it all, it's a kind of journal, but articulated around days/ week and/or to-do lists.

I think it comes from people who don't want to engage in long-winded free writing (journal), but who want more than a standardised planner with pre-printed pages. Bullet journaling starts from blank pages so one can add short stories, doodles, a playlist, long-term goals/ habit tracking or other things that wouldn't fit in a planner just divided by days.

So I'd just go with Bookman's "planner-plus" definition, and add to it; bullet journaling, as i understand it, is "free - possibly artsy - planner-plus"

The video above is rather uninspiring; it's bare-bones level 0 of what bullet journal can be. If you look for "#bulletjournal" on instagram you will find lots of samples of what it can be - some are simply amazing

This really isn’t the place to find out. Here you’re going to get opinions,some informed, some not so much. Visit the creator’s site. Review the users’ experiences but watch out for the enthusiastic artists. I don’t know how they have time or what any of that embellishment accomplishes but, umm, that’s why they love bujo.

If you need this type of (possibly tedious and overly dramatic) precision in managing your precious time, bujo might be worth trying. After 30 years of relying on the 2 page per day Franklin Dayplanner, fortunately my life isn’t that complex any more. But I could see that this system might have worked well for me.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

This really isn’t the place to find out. Here you’re going to get opinions,some informed, some not so much. Visit the creator’s site. Review the users’ experiences but watch out for the enthusiastic artists. I don’t know how they have time or what any of that embellishment accomplishes but, umm, that’s why they love bujo.

If you need this type of (possibly tedious and overly dramatic) precision in managing your precious time, bujo might be worth trying. After 30 years of relying on the 2 page per day Franklin Dayplanner, fortunately my life isn’t that complex any more. But I could see that this system might have worked well for me.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

I think I'd consider a Levenger Circa (or Staples Tul or other brand equivalent) as one can pry out a page and put it in somewhere else if needed... Incomplete to-do list? mark the items that are complete and move the page to where needed for current day additions...

I use elements of the bullet journal method and I find it very helpful. It is an organisational system based around calendars and to do lists, encouraging me to get a bit of structure into my personal planning, finances etc. It's a simple method of breaking down ideas into bullets, can be used for project organisation, goal setting, achievement tracking. It can also be very creative and calming (mine isn't, mine is just loads of to-do lists).

The problem many people have with the system is not having defined sections like most planners, yet it is these sections and their rules that cause them to be stuffed in a drawer after some weeks. In BuJo you just put things down on the next black page. Doesnt matter if the page before was listing of things for your next trip. What makes it work is the Index. The Index shows you where everything is.

I think it comes from people who don't want to engage in long-winded free writing (journal), but who want more than a standardised planner with pre-printed pages. Bullet journaling starts from blank pages so one can add short stories, doodles, a playlist, long-term goals/ habit tracking or other things that wouldn't fit in a planner just divided by days.

Agreed with all this. I'm not currently in a position to attend many high powered (or even low powered) meetings or carry out many complex projects, so the whole planner system would be wasted on me. At the same time I've a mind like a seive, and need a bit of help keeping track of certain appointments and events. I've used Onenote, my mobile devices' calendar, and last year I used a week-to-view diary. The former two are still useful; but talk about memory - the diary lay forgotten for months at a time. Also a little bothered by how much of the used pages lay blank and white.

With the Bullet Journal method: I'll agree with skepticism about the messianic-infomercial attitude, which just adds to the faddy feeling in my eyes; but on the principle that handwritten notes aid memory retention (one thing I remember from my school days, at least*) I figured the extra work over a preprinted diary or planner couldn't hurt. And there was the 'an actual use for my FPs' thing.

Little over a month of use - maybe not enough of an opinion in Bogiesan's consideration (😉) - but it's going nicely so far. As expected, nothing mind-blowingly life-changing, but helpful and even enjoyable in many little ways, and it's oddly satisfying to turn a couple of blank pages into a month's calendar and it's 'to do' list. Call me an idiot (hardly inaccurate) but it feels more personal and 'bespoke' than a preprinted diary page, and so encouraging a little more focus.

Daily bullets can take as much or as little space as needed, so I'm not cramming a long list into a too-small predetermined space, or looking at a third of a page that just says 'get milk'. Short notes about things that happened are easy to put down during the day, and help jog my memory and my reactions if I neglected my traditional journal for a day or three.

On the topic of space: I'll admit I have a slight obsessive-compulsive bent, a tendency to slot things into categories and pigeonholes. In that context, a planner's sections and repositionable leaves seems ideal, and BuJo's method of putting a new topic on the next available blank page resulting in a haphazard organization... but I feel surprisingly comfortable with the latter. Everything's organised and condensed - 'slotted in', 'defragged ' even - towards the front. And as Sally says, it's all about the index.*

Like Liz, I have nothing much more complicated than reminders, daily notes, an odd record list. (Fuel consumption etc.) So again, nothing much that couldn't be achieved with a standard diary or (I assume) a planner, but for me the little extra hints of involvement and customisability are pleasing and useful.

I dunno about 'doodling and creativity' though. I have a stack of sketchbooks and boards waiting for me to get off my rear, in that regard. (Including one tucked into the notebook cover, behind my BuJo) I can't help but think there are better canvasses or outlets than a dot- or square-grid notebook, but if others are made happy by the act of drawing or colouring, and as it otherwise affects me in no way whatsoever - more power til ye.

* Also that I can't stand ring binders and spiral-bound books. Can't stand 'em.

Edited by WarrenB

31182132197_f921f7062d.jpg