How Many Pencils ?

Mike-S

I own 8 dozen Blackwing Volume 211 natural cedar pencils. They are the best pencils in my stash.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Studio97

• inkstainedruth

• Zookie

• FOUR X FOUR

Always have at least 10 wood pencils on my desk at any given time. All different heights and sharpness. Been doing that since 4th grade...

I have some wood pencils but the important part is around 50 mechanical pencils, mostly German: Reflex (from Montblanc), Faber Castell, Kaweco and so on...

The last one is a beautiful Black and Pearl from Johan Faber I found in LA during the Pen Show a few days ago... I love mechanical pencils !

I have too many pencils of all types to count. Years ago I moved my painting supples and drawing pencils ( of every conceivable type) into my newly rented professional studio. Hundreds and hundreds were in store display racks. There were several of those. A fellow artist asked me if I was selling pencils. "Ah..no." do I have too many? It's rare if I should run out of any particular type of color or type.

Edited by Studio97

I own 8 dozen Blackwing Volume 211 natural cedar pencils. They are the best pencils in my stash.

Envious.. I do have a couple boxes of 12 EA of current production Blackwing 602, BW Pearl, palomino BW, Bw 33 1/3, and several boxes of Tombow Mono100s, and Mitsubishi Hi-uni. And a box of California Republic Palomino pencils, That is the best of my top quality wood case pencils that I routinely use.

About 100 pencils, including:

4 boxes of Eberhard Faber Mongol # 1

1 box of Blackfeet Indian #2

2 boxes of Berol Eagle #1

1 box General Semi-hex #1

Assorted California Cedar Palomino #2, Palomino Blackwing (all three sorts). Even a couple Eberhard-Faber Blackwing (the original "Half the pressure twice the speed")

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

I must have close to 50.. most are vintage Japanese models from Pilot, Platinum, Mitsubishi, Tombow...

My "ultimate" mechanical pencil that tops them all is this:

PILOT_MP_VP-SS_twist.jpg

PILOT_ProTech_SS_02s.jpg

Edited by MYU

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

• 1 month later...

2 boxes of Palomino Blackwing 602s, 2 boxes of Palomino Blackwing Pearl, and 2 boxes of Palomino Blackwing 811 limited edition

Steve

Regrettably I have several thousand across vintage and modern pencils ... i have significantly exceeded SABLE

• 4 weeks later...

People keep giving them to me. I'm seen using old (sometimes odd ) pencils and keep getting more and more !

I was just given a handful of Moonbeams, #2, made in Tennesee. They are nice writers, it's the decoration that makes them odd.

I don't care, I like Christmas B)

Regrettably I have several thousand across vintage and modern pencils ... i have significantly exceeded SABLE

Similar situation close to about a thousand and I had donated boxes and boxes of the more common varieties to schools hit by hurricanes. And still way too many on hand. Mainly buying Blackwing now.

2 boxes of Palomino Blackwing 602s, 2 boxes of Palomino Blackwing Pearl, and 2 boxes of Palomino Blackwing 811 limited edition

Steve

Yep, I'm with ya. BW volumes 33 1/3 two boxes; BW #4 Mars one box, palomino BW two boxes, BW 602 two bx, BW 811 one box, BW Natural one bx, BW Pearl one bx. One box of Tombow 1000 and three boxes of Mitsu- Bishi Hi Uni. And I want more.

• 1 month later...

Woodcased graphite pencils: about 2,000 (3/4 or so are "vintage")

Woodless graphite pencils: about 100

Mechanical pencils: about 500 (1/4 or so are "vintage" - some dating to late 1800's)

Woodcased colored pencils: about 500

Woodless colored pencils: about 80

Watercolor pencils: about 300

Water soluble graphite pencils: about 40

Charcoal/carbon pencils: about 40

How does the lead compare on those?

After trying out all of their currently available non-limited editions and the last four generation of Volumes (I wish I'd gotten in on that earlier ...), my favorites are Volume 4 (should have bought more :( ) and the regular Blackwing. No model designation, no nothing. Just "Blackwing".

The Volume 4 is beautifully dark and soft but loses its point a tad too quick. The regular Blackwing on the other hand really found its balance. At the cost of just a hint of softness, the point retention is much better.

-k

Way too many, but I am sane enough to classify my collecting/hoarding as insane. biggrin.png

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

• 1 month later...

I have to ask. Are these the original pencils or the new manufactured Blackwings? I have 24 of the new 602 Blackwings and several boxes of their other Varieties.

I’m sorry I didn’t notice that you asked me a question. Please forgive me. All of my blackwings are the newer versions. Do you have the older blackwings?

I wish I had the original Blackwings. Years ago I remember when the remaining stock was being sold out as discontinued for a few dollars a box. I didn't buy any. Who knew this was going to happen at $40 to $50 per pencil, sometimes even more.