How Many Pencils ?

Mike-S

My wife asked, how many pencils do you need ? Which had me thinking, how many pencils have I got. So I've had a count and I've got a measly 78 wooden ones and 5 mechanicals (you can see where my heart lies). I realise that my collection is miniscule so I'm asking, How many pencils in your collection ?

I'm then going to show the replies to my wife in the hope that she'll maybe understand me !

Here's hoping for loads of replies,

Mike-S

It matters not with what you write,

just write.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Studio97

• inkstainedruth

• Zookie

• FOUR X FOUR

Seven mechanical pencils

Five clutch pencils

Two graphite sticks

And one hundred and eighty-four wood-cased pencils

Although 142 of those latter are some form of charcoal or coloured pencil. Does that count?

31182132197_f921f7062d.jpg

Oops !

thanks for reminding me WarrenB. I'd forgotten about coloured ones.

So it's 78 + 48 coloureds---126 wood cased.

Mike-S

Edited by Mike-S

It matters not with what you write,

just write.

I have quite a few bunches of unsharpened wooden pencils in a desk drawer, plus sharpened ones in cups and pencil cases. I won't count them, but I don't expect to run out of any of the HBs / #2s in the predictable future. Will no doubt have to restock on the softer and harder lead ones at some point.

Question to ponder. Wood pencils are disposables by their very nature. Why does that seem different from the way that Bic ballpoints are disposable? Is it just because they are more biodegradable?

My accumulation of mechanical pencils is much larger, probably at least fifty. Well, they weren't as expensive on the average as my even larger collection of fountain pens, and I just find them to be interesting devices, as well as useful. The large number comes partly from having them in different lead sizes from 1.1 mm to 0.2, with different pencils within a particular size loaded with different lead grades. And there are other justifications which I won't bother to mention at present. The main thing is that I just like them. From a functional standpoint I could probably pare them down to a third of the number or less, but why bother.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

My mechanical pencil spreadsheet has 187 mechanical pencils, a quick rough count of wood cased 250 =/-

Amos

The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Albert Einstein

45ish counting colored pencils in a drawing set.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Two:

Pentel P205

C'd A Fixpencil 2mm

Edited by Karmachanic

Add lightness and simplicate.

I have more wood cased pencils than I could ever use and am looking to donate some. Mechanical pencils maybe 30 or so that I rotate on a daily basis.

I love pencils, they don't take up much space.

I mostly use my lead holders (a couple of Berol Turquoise ones, and a Staedtler-Mars from once when I couldn't get a Berol). But I've acquired a bunch of cheap #2 pencils and mechanical pencils for when I've run "scavenger hunts" in case people don't have writing instruments on them (and I mean cheap, as in a 10 pack at a dollar store) -- that way if they don't come back I'm not out a lot of money.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

If we're talking coloured pencils, then hundreds. Easily. By quick count, probably close to a thousand :wacko: I use coloured pencils for drawing, so I suppose it is a bit explainable. But still.

I do try to limit my collection of regular ones.

36 Dixon Ticonderoga (most unsharpened)

21 lead holders (for drawing)

15 refillable mechanical pencils (for everything else)

I love pencils, they don't take up much space.

I wholeheartedly agree with this.

With colored pencils included probably close to 100 wooden pencils: 60 writing, +/- 40 colored pencils

3 Clutch pencils (2mm): 1 Cda Fixpencil, 1 2H Mitsubishi Uni, 1 3B Mitsubishi Uni

20 Mechanical pencils: mostly Pental A30x series in all the various lead sizes made plus a few triples, don't really use them much though!

The ones I use most are my wooden pencils, and Cda Fixpencil, others are as needed which is not as much as I hoped for when I bought them!

As far as trying to convince your wife your collection is not outrageous, well good luck! It rarely works! The best thing to do, is use them enough to show her you need them, and for something that at least appears productive!!!

Edited by JakobS

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

Probably 50 of each, including some mechanicals that cost $500 and above.

I have to admit there is a problem.

Edited by Doug C

the Danitrio Fellowship

Oh, I didn't think to include the colored pencils. :headsmack: A number of years ago, I bought the largest box of Prismacolor pencils I could get for some project, but never actually used them....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

LOL. There is NO such thing as too many pencils, mechanical or otherwise. I have more than I can count, but will eventually use them all.

Mike

I've been collecting pencils for the last 3 years. I've accumulated over 3,000 or more pencils that are American, Japanese, Swiss and German made. I also have a few hundred mechanical pencils from Japan and Germany. My entire collection is huge.

I have 7 mechanical pencils and probably around 800-1000 woodcase pencils, with at least two thirds being vintage American pencils.

"No one can be a great thinker who does not recognize that as a thinker it is his first duty to follow his intellect to whatever conclusions it may lead. Truth gains more even by the errors of one who, with due study, and preparation, thinks for himself, than by the true opinions of those who only hold them because they do not suffer themselves to think." -J.S. Mill, On Liberty

Several hundred BlackWings

I have to ask. Are these the original pencils or the new manufactured Blackwings? I have 24 of the new 602 Blackwings and several boxes of their other Varieties.