Platinum Procyon

sova

You can call it whatever you want. :) I'm saying that most users would probably conclude that the nib is "soft", as opposed to being hard as a "nail", if the metal flexes (i.e. elastically deforms) under little to moderate pressure within range of what someone would apply when writing with a pen, even if it offers absolutely no visible line variation in the outcome and even if the user desires line variation. I think people who describe the writing experience as "cushioned" or "bouncy" is describing exactly how a "soft" nib behaves, and it has nothing to do with changes in line width.

Then I wouldn't call my Cool soft.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Honeybadgers

• A Smug Dill

• MuddyWaters

• Caeruleum

• 2 weeks later...

Great thread. Have been on the fence on the Procyon for some time. Does the aluminum body make any real difference? I don't love it on my Plaisir

Quick follow up - got my Procyon (used, from a friend) and I'm very happy with it. It's great looking pen with a very good nib on it. I actually prefer my 3776, but to my this is a very good pen and a lot nicer body than the Balance/Cool.

• 1 month later...

I got mine also :-) Went with the white version and I like it.

As it was said, the section is interchangeable with 3776 Century which was my reason for getting the pen. Works great :-)

PICTOGRAMAX-2019-PLATINUM-PROCYON-ARRIVE

More images, comparisons and ramblings about Procyon here: https://pictogramax.rs/2019/11/09/platinum-procyon/

Dunno why but that Century nib on the Procyon barrel looks so awkward haha

red and white totally works.

Again, I'm just bummed that the paint on them is just awful and flakes off.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Oh? Do tell more about that, please. I got the white one and that is a different material/finish (glossy) than the other colours (which are matte). So I guess with the white one that problem wont occur.

Powder coating is INCREDIBLY durable. They are not powder coated. They're a microscopic thin layer of paint over a microscopic thin layer of primer on the aluminum.

Hopefully platinum gets the QC straight with them, because since the 3776 is ratcheting up in price to no longer be competing with the procyon, it's finally starting to actually look like a good deal now.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Which colour do you have, Honeybadgers? And how do you carry it? Or do you keep it on your desk? How much did/do you use it?

quite normally. it wasn't "abused" but it was carried. The paint was chipping and wearing through within a single week.

Mine is the dark blue color. I've heard reports of others doing so as well.

Unless they recently changed how they finish them (which is possible, platinum isn't just some chinese company with no reputation to uphold) all of them would logically be finished on the same kind of machinery. it'd be weird and dumb to lacquer one color but paint all the rest.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Oh that is to bad, as the dark blue IS a lovely colour :( Normal use and carrying shouldn't chip of finish that soon and to that extent,

I was debating between that one and the white and went with the white one in the end. I also liked the turquoise one. But I guess I better wait a while to see if indeed the finish is improved. Thanks for clarifying!

It's logical what you are saying and I assume you're right. My comment about finishes was based on the fact that my white Procyon is really slick, in line with what is usually referred as "piano" white (or black) lacquering. On the other hand, from what I have seen in photos, the dark blue version seems slightly textured, somewhat "powdery" to my eyes. Of course, nothing scientific in my observations :-)

Oh that is to bad, as the dark blue IS a lovely colour :( Normal use and carrying shouldn't chip of finish that soon and to that extent,

I was debating between that one and the white and went with the white one in the end. I also liked the turquoise one. But I guess I better wait a while to see if indeed the finish is improved. Thanks for clarifying!

Maybe email a retailer and ask if the newer stock is lacquered or if the finish has changed compared to the old stock?

I'd have just sent mine back but I got it in a trade, so the warranty is void (I could've pressured luxury goods to take it but they were in the process already of helping me out bigtime with a 3776 UEF that was technically out of warranty, so I didn't feel it was fair to them) and I think I'm just gonna have the paint blasted off anyways by Ron and use it in raw aluminum, which will look pretty sharp.

It's logical what you are saying and I assume you're right. My comment about finishes was based on the fact that my white Procyon is really slick, in line with what is usually referred as "piano" white (or black) lacquering. On the other hand, from what I have seen in photos, the dark blue version seems slightly textured, somewhat "powdery" to my eyes. Of course, nothing scientific in my observations :-)

Can you give any closeup pictures of where the white meets the trim? if there's any heavily rounded over edges, it could be lacquer.

Also the white was not a launch color. it's entirely possible they've switched the whole line over to lacquer. I just know for a fact it ain't anodized, which doesn't have that mirror like finish no matter what, and is a very intensive process that would be really weird to only do to some but not all colors of a little mid tier pen.

Either way, that red section looks nice on that pen. And the procyon's form factor is awesome. I still like mine, flawed as it is.

Edited by Honeybadgers

• 4 months later...

Great thread. Have been on the fence on the Procyon for some time. Does the aluminum body make any real difference? I don't love it on my Plaisir

I prefer the Procyon to the Plaisir because the Procyon has a matte finish that's also very slightly PEBBLED. It has a subtle texture that feels somehow-not-slick in your hand. Slickness is the reason I'm not using my Plaisirs as often as I'd hoped, despite how beautiful and shiny the Plaisirs look in it.

I hope this helps!

Are there still issues with the finish chipping off with the matte ones? I like the dark blue one, but I heard of a few cases the finish was coming off....

As I commented here, mine hasn't shown any visible scratches or signs of the lacquer falling off in the last 9 months. It has seen a moderate use and I carry it in a leather pencil roll pouch, but I'm generally careful with my pens. Others have had the problem, so I guess the finish isn't the best quality, or intended for heavy use. I don't know if Platinum has changed or intends to change the finish of these pens to make it more resistent...