Platinum Procyon

sova

Do your converters fit the Procyon?

I ask because I just got my Procyon and Platinum converter that works with my Cool/Balance doesn't seem to fit :-(

Is the converter too loose?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Honeybadgers

• A Smug Dill

• MuddyWaters

• Caeruleum

Is the converter too loose?

Yes, I can insert the converter but it doesn't feel secure. It would probably fall out if I turned the nib upwards. In my Platinum Cool/Balance it fits tightly. This surprised me.

Hmmm, Between Pilot, Platinum, and Sailor, Platinum has the narrowest mouth...

Have you tried an international standard converter? Their narrow mouth might fit.

Platinum make a cartridge adapter to allow the use of International cartridges. Maybe one of those would offer a better fit?

✒️ :happyberet:

Hmmm, Between Pilot, Platinum, and Sailor, Platinum has the narrowest mouth...

Have you tried an international standard converter? Their narrow mouth might fit.

Yes, I have tried one. Unfortunately its too narrow.

I'm surprised because I have read reviews mentioning the succesaful use of a converter.

The openings of converters and the nipples on pens are made to tolerances. They aren't exact.
The nipple on the Procyon you have may be a bit narrower than on the Cool/Balance you have.
So a converter that's been fitted on a slightly wider nipple won't fit as tightly on a narrower one.

This issue comes up from time to time with various pen brands and converters. And this is why I don't trade converters between pens.

Suggest buy a new Platinum converter for your Procyon.

The openings of converters and the nipples on pens are made to tolerances. They aren't exact.

The nipple on the Procyon you have may be a bit narrower than on the Cool/Balance you have.

So a converter that's been fitted on a slightly wider nipple won't fit as tightly on a narrower one.

This issue comes up from time to time with various pen brands and converters. And this is why I don't trade converters between pens.

Suggest buy a new Platinum converter for your Procyon.

Mhm, so you basically say buying a new depends on my luck again?

Mhm, so you basically say buying a new depends on my luck again?

I'm saying don't stretch the opening of the new converter by putting it on your Cool/Balance.

Put a new Platinum converter on your Procyon.

I'm saying don't stretch the opening of the new converter by putting it on your Cool/Balance.

Put a new Platinum converter on your Procyon.

I don't think I have stretched the one I already have as it has about 1mm thick plastic walls bordered by a metal ring, but thanks anyway, I will probably try that.

Great thread. Have been on the fence on the Procyon for some time. Does the aluminum body make any real difference? I don't love it on my Plaisir

Great thread. Have been on the fence on the Procyon for some time. Does the aluminum body make any real difference? I don't love it on my Plaisir

I find it feels nice.Its anodization gives it an interesting matte texture aand appearance. I will upload photos of mine, just wanted ro get the converter working before.

It certainly feels sturdy without being much heavier than a resin barrel.

It's a LOT more substantial amount of aluminum than the plaisir.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

try one last weekend, not impressed , the only part it really shine is the new ink entry channel / opening on the feed making it easier to draw ink into the converter from the bottle , so I give Platinum the credit for coming up with such; the nib , well its really nothing special as Platinum would like to put it ... and BTW, the discussion regarding Iron Gall ink on steel nib, OK I had been using those inks for decades on Steel nibs and whether its expensive Italian or dirt cheap Chinese, there really is no difference as far as corrosion resistance goes , they all had their plating ( the gold ones ) eaten alive pretty quick when the chrome plating seems to last , proper maintenance and routine cleaning I did do on my pens when using Carbon / Iron Gall ink and my choice of IG ink include the like of Pelikan 4001 Blue Black, old Montblanc Blue Black , Hero 232, Diamine Register and I had seen no ill effect on steel nibs even on my old old old Pelikan M200 and my even older Hero 50 / Hero 616 , I would say unless you are rather lazy in your upkeep and had been using vintage formulated IG ink , otherwise, the worry is more wishful thinking than for real, BTW, Gold nib do not fare better ; IG ink eat their plating just as quick as its on steel nib

the only part it really shine is the new ink entry channel / opening on the feed making it easier to draw ink into the converter from the bottle , so I give Platinum the credit for coming up with such;

That's a pretty common feature on Pilot Custom series feeds. I am a fan as well.

try one last weekend, not impressed , the only part it really shine is the new ink entry channel / opening on the feed making it easier to draw ink into the converter from the bottle , so I give Platinum the credit for coming up with such; the nib , well its really nothing special as Platinum would like to put it ... and BTW, the discussion regarding Iron Gall ink on steel nib, OK I had been using those inks for decades on Steel nibs and whether its expensive Italian or dirt cheap Chinese, there really is no difference as far as corrosion resistance goes , they all had their plating ( the gold ones ) eaten alive pretty quick when the chrome plating seems to last , proper maintenance and routine cleaning I did do on my pens when using Carbon / Iron Gall ink and my choice of IG ink include the like of Pelikan 4001 Blue Black, old Montblanc Blue Black , Hero 232, Diamine Register and I had seen no ill effect on steel nibs even on my old old old Pelikan M200 and my even older Hero 50 / Hero 616 , I would say unless you are rather lazy in your upkeep and had been using vintage formulated IG ink , otherwise, the worry is more wishful thinking than for real, BTW, Gold nib do not fare better ; IG ink eat their plating just as quick as its on steel nib

Seeing as gold nibs aren't gold plated, we're probably not in too much trouble.

Or are you saying that iron gall can peel off rhodium plating?

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I suppose if even (some) non-iron-gall inks can cause permanent discolouration and/or flaking of ruthenium plating on a (gold) nib, then I wouldn't be surprised if I see an iron-gall ink compromise ruthenium plating, but "stealth look" fountain pens with black bodies, black trim and black nibs really aren't that common. I wouldn't put an iron-gall ink in my Sailor Profit Black Luster or Sailor Professional Gear Imperial Black edition, that's for sure, or a Lamy or Monteverde fountain pen with a black-coloured steel nib for that matter.

I don't see what any of that has to do with the Platinum Procyon, though, when its nibs aren't gold-plated or black-coated.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Seeing as gold nibs aren't gold plated, we're probably not in too much trouble.

Or are you saying that iron gall can peel off rhodium plating?

Yes they do ; actually even heavy chrome plating would go just not as quick. Does Procyon nib had any plating ??

Edited by Mech-for-i

Can some one answer my interrogation about the difference in nib flex between the Procyon and the Balance/Cool ? From I've understood is that the first one has no flex while the Balance/Cool can provide a real line variation . Is this the case ? Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

The balance/cool should not be flexed at all. It will spring (ask me how I found that one out)

It has a little bit of bounce to it, but it is not even slightly flexible

The procyon is a complete nail. It's great for carbon paper.

the tail of mine is starting to chip/wear the paint off quite dramatically. it's not anodized, it's primered and painted, and there seems to be no protective clearcoat on the soft paint.

I'm half tempted to just sand the paint off and have a raw aluminum finish. I still think it's a damn great pen, but the paint is not durable if you post it or let it bang around, it's gonna get scuffed and scratched. mine has a very noticeable amount of worn down paint loss around the end of the tail and some visible wear showing from being posted.