• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sansenri

• MuddyWaters

• GastroNerd

• hari317

While my wancai mini never, ever, ever isn't inked...

Gotta go with the noodlers charlie. it's just the most unpretentious thing ever.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

For the person who wants a really eye-catching eyedropper, I don't think that Additive Pens (made with 3-d printing) can be beat.

Opus 88 Koloro.

Many Indian pens now take standard #6 nibs. I have a Bock Ti on mine

+1. Many of Fountain Pen Revolution's piston models also take a Bock #6, and they are certainly affordable enough to carry two or three. While QC and QA aren't the best (one of my wife's acrylic Himalayas came with a crack in the section that leaks ink), Kevin's customer service cannot be beat -- he's sending me a new one.

I have a Bexley Admiral that really works well as an eyedropper. They don't offer that particular model any longer, but I suspect several of their current offerings would work as well. The modern plastic feeds with lots of fins seem to hold enough ink to accommodate changes in pressure and temperature well. In normal use I haven't had any burping issues.

I also have been really happy with my Triveni Jr. from Fountain Pen Revolution. It is an Indian ebonite pen with a very similar modern German #6 nib. The body is made for use as an eyedropper, with extra long threading between the section and the body.

I have some FPR Himalayas -- two in ebonite and one in acrylic. They are an easy ED conversion, just unscrew the syringe filler from the section, and put a tiny smear of pure silicone grease around the section threads where it screws into the barrel. But I've never bothered; I tend to carry two or three pens, and on those rare occasions that I do run out of ink, a single short draw of water (from the pen's cap, if need be) has always been enough to get me through my day.

Edited by Arkanabar

While my wancai mini never, ever, ever isn't inked...

Gotta go with the noodlers charlie. it's just the most unpretentious thing ever.

Isn't the Charlie very similar to the preppy? Never used a Charlie but have a preppy eyedropper FP.

Isn't the Charlie very similar to the preppy? Never used a Charlie but have a preppy eyedropper FP.

Not really? The Charlie is a pure eyedropper, has a screw cap, uses normal #5 nibs, an ebonite feed, and is made from biodegradable "vegetal resin". The Preppy uses a proprietary nib and plastic feed, has a snap cap with a spring-mounted inner cap, uses ink cartridges, and is made of more traditional plastic.

The Preppy's are unbeatable as eyedroppers for their practicality, although the cheap plastic does tend to crack, especially the caps.

But Indian pens are inexpensive, feel great in the hand, and have a great look to them.  Here is a pair of Airmails from Hari, one Esterbrook threaded and on Pelikan threaded.  

The Esterbrook is particularly useful because of all the nib types available at prices that are very affordable.  On the other hand, Pelikan feeds are better at handling the occasional burping that all eyedroppers seem to suffer from.

iVBiIw0hr11tPXLKnFAo_2omQjCI1ZNIUkOG8tNU

Not really? The Charlie is a pure eyedropper, has a screw cap, uses normal #5 nibs, an ebonite feed, and is made from biodegradable "vegetal resin". The Preppy uses a proprietary nib and plastic feed, has a snap cap with a spring-mounted inner cap, uses ink cartridges, and is made of more traditional plastic.

Ok, that answers my question.

I restarted using the moonman. It is a good pen for the price. I wish it had a clip though, and it is not the easiest pen to deploy since it takes a few turns and doesnt post. I also need a new nib for it.

Maybe I'll go back to using my wing sung 6539 at work, though I'll have to refill the converter often.

Edited by MuddyWaters

I restarted using the moonman. It is a good pen for the price. I wish it had a clip though, and it is not the easiest pen to deploy since it takes a few turns and doesnt post. I also need a new nib for it.

Maybe I'll go back to using my wing sung 6539 at work, though I'll have to refill the converter often.

I agree with this. I do not find the moonman to be a convenient everyday carry. Apparently some people use a kaweco clip, but I think it just looks wrong. It is a nice pen though and is aesthetically pleasing.

3rd option on Indian pens

Gama Eyas black brushed ebonite

ED filler

the nib is not bad, its a size 6 and is friction fit and can probably be swapped with most other #6 nibs (Bock, Jowo, etc.)

not expensive (22$) shipment from India included

a substantial pen in the hand (light but slightly larger than a M800)

(a sister pen exists which is even larger, but I was concerned it would be too big for my hands)

fpn_1547760702__gama_eyas_2.jpg

nope, the charlie is made of a vegetal resin, comes with an ebonite feed, and accepts any #5 and any vintage #2 (and many vintage #1 and #3) nibs.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I just noticed a new Goulet video where he happens to talk about affordable eyedroppers:

https://youtu.be/0DlAGmrf6xo?t=1287

Mostly the same stuff that's already been mentioned on this thread. I don't follow his logic when he talks about the Ahab's larger capacity making it less likely to burp; I suspect he is mistaken about that.

I just noticed a new Goulet video where he happens to talk about affordable eyedroppers:

https://youtu.be/0DlAGmrf6xo?t=1287

Mostly the same stuff that's already been mentioned on this thread. I don't follow his logic when he talks about the Ahab's larger capacity making it less likely to burp; I suspect he is mistaken about that.

I think what he means is that it will take longer for the pen to stop burping, because using at least half the capacity will take longer than with a 2ml pen.

fpn_1549148727__20190202_145708-01-01.jp

My favorite ED is my Edison Collier fitted with an F.P.R. #6 "ultra-flex" nib. I wouldn't call it "affordable." But it's my favorite.

Edited by Bookman

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

fpn_1549148727__20190202_145708-01-01.jp

My favorite ED is my Edison Collier fitted with an F.P.R. #6 "ultra-flex" nib. I wouldn't call it "affordable." But it's my favorite.

Nice pen! The term "affordable" is relative. What was affordable to me two years ago is now beyond reach, but I suspect that will change in the near future.