Pen Pit Stop : Tiscribe Brass/copper

namrehsnoom

Pen Pit Stop : TiScribe Brass/Copper
Welcome to the Pen Pit Stop. Here you will find reviews of pens that already have some mileage on them. More specifically, these reviews are of pens that are in my personal collection, and that have been in use for at least a year. I thought it would be fun to do it this way – no new & shiny pens here, but battered vehicles that have been put to work for at least a year. Let’s find out how they have withstood the ravages of time.
fpn_1548445550__tiscribe_-_title.jpg
The fountain pen arriving at the pit stop today is actually a pair : the TiScribe Brass and Copper. These are machine-tooled pens created as a KickStarter project by Kelvin Verrett of Urban Survival Gear. It was purely by accident that I came across this project, and I immediately took a liking to the minimalistic and industrial looks of the pen. So I subscribed to the project in the summer of 2015, and got me these beauties. I received the pens by early 2016, and they have been in regular use since that time. Let’s take a closer look at them.
fpn_1548445613__tiscribe_-_bronze_cartri
fpn_1548445661__tiscribe_-_copper.jpg
fpn_1548445685__tiscribe_-_bronze_-_deta
Pen Look & Feel
The TiScribe is a machine-tooled pen, with an industrial look & feel. Throughout the campaign, Kelvin showed videos illustrating the actual production process – quite interesting! The TiScribe is meant to be a sturdy EDC pen, pocket sized (4.5 inches long) and with a solid construction. Being a metal pen, it can take a beating, and is meant to show scratches and patina after some use. The pen has a threaded cap, and cannot be posted. It’s a cartridge converter pen, that takes small standard international cartridges. The nibs used are Bock Triple 060 models. I ordered my pens with an M-nib.
fpn_1548445719__tiscribe_-_capped.jpg
fpn_1548445729__tiscribe_-_uncapped.jpg
The pictures above illustrate the size of the TiScribe pen in comparison with a standard Lamy AL-star. As you can see, the TiScribe is a small pen. It’s still comfortable to write with, but only for quick notes. The pen is too small to be comfortable for long writing sessions.
Pen Characteristics
  • Build Quality : the pen is very well-built, and will easily last a lifetime. As an EDC pen, it’s meant to show a “weathered look”, acquiring scratches and developing a nice patina after some use. I quite like the rugged look & feel.
  • Weight & Dimensions : for such a small pen, it still has some heft to it – to be expected since the pen is completely constructed from metal. The weight is distributed evenly along the barrel. When writing, the TiScribe feels well balanced, and fits comfortably in my hand.
  • Filling System : this is a cartridge convertor pen, that uses small standard international cartridges.
  • Nib & Performance : Kelvin used standard Bock nibs for his pen. I ordered my copper & brass pair with an M-nib. The nibs wrote perfectly out-of-the-box without needing tuning, and are relatively wet writers.
  • Price : I paid 130 USD for the Brass & Copper duo of pens. This included shipping & handling. That’s quite a reasonable price for these rugged metal-based writers.

fpn_1548445747__tisribe_-_overview.jpg
Conclusion
The TiScribe from Urban Survival Gear is a great EDC pen, that can take a beating. I like the industrial looks of this pen, and the fact that it is meant to show “the life it has lived”. My pens have acquired numerous scratches and developed a nice patina, and this simply enhances their ruggedized look.
The big question is: would I buy this pen again? To this, my answer is: YES. Buying this pen was a leap of faith that really paid off. The TiScribe totally fits my taste, and I really like the battered look it develops as it ages. A worthy EDC pen!
Edited by namrehsnoom

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jamerelbe

• namrehsnoom

• Honeybadgers

• stewmander

I was a backer of the original TiScribe too - and would still consider myself a fan - but there are a couple of caveats:

(1) The original version of this pen had normal threading on the cap, and reverse threading on the section - which meant that every time I tried to tighten the cap a little further, the barrel started to unscrew. A minor irritation, but an irritation nonetheless!

(2) The threading on my titanium pen cap was a little rough, and after a couple of years the threading gave way altogether. Because Kelvin had stopped manufacturing the original version of the pen, it wasn't possible to get a replacement. Thankfully, I'd purchased a spare grip section (for rollerball tip), made of brass, which still threaded ok with barrel and cap (the cap threads on the grip section were the threads that gave way) - so I was able to 'repurpose' the pen as a rollerball.

(3) The single hex screw that holds the clip in place eventually worked loose - and I couldn't find the right size hex screw in my local hardware store. Kelvin kindly sent me one of his.

The good news in all of this is that Kelvin rectified most (if not all) of these issues in his next release. His clips are now secured in place by two screws, which make them less prone to wiggle, and the threading is more regular.

The other piece of good news is that the brass version of the pen, which I bought for my son, had none of the issues of the titanium pen (other than the weird decision to reverse thread the grip/barrel join). These are short pens, but durable, and great for carrying in a pocket or bag for immediate deployment.

• 5 months later...

Looking at getting one of the TiScribe bolts, hows the brass and copper material feel after writing for a bit? Does either one leave less of a metallic scent on your hands? I kinda liked the possible antimicrobial factor...

Looking at getting one of the TiScribe bolts, hows the brass and copper material feel after writing for a bit? Does either one leave less of a metallic scent on your hands? I kinda liked the possible antimicrobial factor...

I use a brass pen in healthcare for that very reason. The brass smell fades quite quickly as the oxides form. Within a few weeks it's basically gone.

I love brass pens as a medic/hospital employee. Just a quick wipedown and my pen self sanitizes. Better than the nasty ballpoints everyone else uses and shares and NEVER wipes.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)