Vintage C. 1980S Hooded-Nib Golden Star Desk Fountain Pen

KathleenBlair

Does anyone know how to clean and rehab this particular pen? I think it's modeled on the Parker 51. It has a hooded nib and is a desk pen. It was a gift to my father from a friend of his. Pictures here https://imgur.com/a/2dbeDDC

I managed to flush it by pumping the bladder until it filled with water and then pumping out the water and doing that several times until it ran clear but there is still residual water and ink in the bladder. It looks like the bladder just comes off of the collar it's on, it doesn't appear that it's glued onto it, and breather tube inside of the bladder looks to be okay. But I'm a little worried about taking that bladder off to completely clean it for fear of not getting it back on but I really need to get all the ink and water out of it. Was thinking if I took it off I could flush it with an ear syringe or something.

And it looks to me like the hooded nib is actually part of the lower pen assembly/barrel. Shouldn't the nib and the collector come out somehow so they can be cleaned too? Or do I need to worry about cleaning all of that?

Ideas and suggestions, please? I'd like to be able to use this pen since it was my fathers. It also looks like there might have been a little brass cap of some kind on top of it at one point.

Thanks for any help or suggestions. :)

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KathleenBlair

• Mech-for-i

Top Posters In This Topic

That look like the 535 desk pen variant , anyway all of them are the same, you soak them in warm water until the dried ink simply dissolve and diffuse out .. take a while for every bath ( leave over night would be great ) and most likely take multiple time; after which then you just switch to mild soapy water to do the cleaning, just like piston, sac equipped pen, you just keep cycling water through the filling until everything come out clean

Thank you - I'll do that :) The ink that is still coming out has kind of a purply undercast in it. I wonder what kind it came loaded with and if the pen company has it's own brand of ink. I'm assuming otherwise this pen will take regular fountain pen inks and am really excited to be able to use it on a regular basis. This hooded nib is kinda nifty - I like the look of it :)

Thank you again :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. inkstainedruth
      inkstainedruth
    5. jar
      jar
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files