The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Help Me With A Pilot Pen

pilot fountain pen pen nibs custom 74 ink

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RudraDev

RudraDev

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 January 2019 - 20:58

Hi, I am planning on buying the pilot custom 74 and I am confused as to what nib I should get.
I'm tied between the Fine and the Soft fine nibs. I like line variation on my pens, but I don't want something like the conventional "flex" pen and I want the nib to be fairly smooth. I will mostly use it for sketching and writing notes. Which nib should I go for?

Sponsored Content

#2 jekostas

jekostas

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 21:06

I'd go Soft Fine.  Pilot's "Soft" nibs are really nowhere near true flex, and you still have to put in a decent amount of force when writing to get meaningful line variation.  On the other hand, it is a nice option to have.

#3 surprise123

surprise123

Estate Find

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 January 2019 - 23:58

^ +1

Pilot's nibs are known to be very good, I think you'll like the SF nib. It's very forgiving, just NEVER try to flex it. It's like Pilot's regular nibs, but with more cushion for long writing stretches.

#4 sharonspens

sharonspens

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,856 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 January 2019 - 00:16

I actually have a SFM (soft fine medium) nib, and I forget how nice it is to write with until I ink it up again. When I do that, I get so comfortable with it (actually, with all three of my Pilots) that i am liable to keep it inked for weeks at a time. It is the only S one I have, and I'm glad I got it.

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

#5 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,685 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 January 2019 - 01:55

I enjoy the feel of using Pilots sf nibs.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#6 ParkerDuofold

ParkerDuofold

Jersey Boy

• Remembered Fondly
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 January 2019 - 02:11

Hi Rudra,

I have a 74 with a soft medium nib and I like it.

Forget about flex... standard Pilot nibs are fairly firm... their soft nibs give more of a cushioned feeling when writing.

The best way to think of it, IMHO, is writing with a soft nib gives your writing experience a Cadillac ride. :)

Be well. :)

- Anthony

EDITED for content and to fit the time allotted.

Edited by ParkerDuofold, 25 January 2019 - 02:14.

With thanks to my Mom & Dad; who taught me to run free, but not run wild.

Please pray the Rosary daily. Thank You, St. Jude, for favors granted. :)

Grab life with both arms and give it a bear hug every day! :D

#7 UDog

UDog

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 January 2019 - 03:54

Pilot Soft-Fine nibs are meant for those who have a heavier hand when writing. It imparts a "softness" to the nib, as opposed to a nib like a nail. It offers some, but not much, line variation.

Walk in shadow / Walk in dread / Loosefish walk / As Like one dead

#8 RudraDev

RudraDev

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 January 2019 - 05:22

Okay. Thank you people.
The soft fine nib wins!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pilot, fountain pen, pen, nibs, custom 74, ink

Sponsored Content

|