Market Watch — Tomoe River Hardcover Notebooks On Amazon (30% Off)

TLMG

I posted this in the Market Watch/Mall and didn't realize it should have been posted here. My apologies. It's been a while.

Reposted below!

Just a heads up, because I think many of you, like me, would appreciate knowing this:

Amazon just reduced the price of the Bond Tomoe River Dotgrid Hardcover A5 Notebooks

from $25 (with free prime shipping) to only $17.50... which makes them a wildly good deal

for a Tomoe River Notebook considering they are 296 pages!

This is not my product or store. I just love the TR paper and it is extremely difficult to get a

nice notebook with their paper for a decent price... let alone a hardcover for a decent price.

This deal makes the Tomoe River Notebook a better deal than the run of the mill Moleskine!

Anyway, here's the link again:

PS - the reason I posted here is because I dont think that, as a sponsor, I am allowed to post i

n the Market Watch? I have contacted the mods about it already. Hopefully I can next time.

Montblanc Pen PolishFountain Pen Flush

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TLMG

• Mongoosey

• ISW_Kaputnik

• inkstainedruth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any idea if they make journals other than with dot grid paper?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

It doesn't seem that they do, as their own website shows no other style in their inventory besides Dot grid:

https://bondtravelgear.com/collections/write

I wonder about the quality, however. I am surprised these are individually offered at less price than is on their website, and at free shipping.

A couple people in the Amazon reviews noted substandard reinforcement of the spine and one other noted incongruent dot placement between the two sides of the paper causing mild show through.

The critical review also conjectured the possibility of them being factory seconds.

Overall: Has good characteristics, longevity is a concern, I want to pull the trigger, but I want to see more reviews, and I want to see less reviews noting longevity/integrity/manufacturing issues, and more reviews reflecting on better build quality.

I still wish someone would compete with Nanami Notebooks, put out a flat lying, durable, lined, 52 gsm notebook at a reasonable price.

68 gsm is nice, and I'd still consider it, but I find it's simply not as smooth as 52 gsm.

Edited by Mongoosey

Not at the moment but I saw in a comment they made, I think, that they are making lined journals soon.

As someone who really doesn’t like dot grids I just admit that they have created a phenomenal dot grid setup.

It's a pity they don't have them with blank paper, which is all that I really want to use these days. I've been waiting for Nanami to restock on those. Still, worth knowing one's options, thanks.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

It's a pity they don't have them with blank paper, which is all that I really want to use these days. I've been waiting for Nanami to restock on those. Still, worth knowing one's options, thanks.

As UltimatePenPolish stated, the makers have communicated plans for such. I took a screenshot of the questions on the Amazon page:

post-145190-0-75095400-1548540617_thumb.png

I do love the Nanami Standard Notebook. That was my first Nanami notebook. I prefer lines, but I don't mind blank pages at all. Blank gives you that freedom you can't get from anything else.

Edited by Mongoosey

Agreed -- my issue is that most lined papers seem to be made for 5 year olds, with spacing that you can fit a full-size car into. It ends up making my writing (which isn't the nicest already!) look like a kindergartener did it!

As UltimatePenPolish stated, the makers have communicated plans for such. I took a screenshot of the questions on the Amazon page:

attachicon.gif Screen Shot 2019-01-26 at 2.04.50 PM.png

I do love the Nanami Standard Notebook. That was my first Nanami notebook. I prefer lines, but I don't mind blank pages at all. Blank gives you that freedom you can't get from anything else.

How do you get nice, straight writing on blank pages? I always end up writing at a slant that gets worse by the line haha!

Agreed -- my issue is that most lined papers seem to be made for 5 year olds, with spacing that you can fit a full-size car into. It ends up making my writing (which isn't the nicest already!) look like a kindergartener did it!

I won't use anything wider than 7mm/college rule myself.

How do you get nice, straight writing on blank pages? I always end up writing at a slant that gets worse by the line haha!

Put a lined guide sheet under the paper that you're writing on, you'll be able to see the lines through the paper.

You might need thick black lines on the guide sheet in order for them to show through, but once you make your own guide sheet you can also choose whatever spacing you like.

I use an advanced technique called not worrying about it. Actually, my writing does end up reasonably straight in relation to the top and bottom of the page most of the time, perhaps through long habit. I wish I did as well with my drawing. But if a line of writing does take a little wiggle, I just get back in stride with the next line and don't sweat it. And if I use lined paper, my writing will make the same occasional wiggle, perhaps from an unconscious desire to break free.

When writing a letter (which should always be on unlined paper), I tend to write a bit more slowly to make the writing itself more legible. That seems to remove any tendency for my writing to depart from the horizontal.

As XYZZY mentions, some people put lined paper under a page, which works if it's not too opaque. And I've even heard of people putting light lines on the paper themselves with a ruler and a hard leaded pencil that doesn't write too darkly. Never tried it myself, but it's something to keep in mind for special use, maybe. I think you can erase the pencil lines after the ink dries, but again, I haven't tried this.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

Hahah too funny!

I find that even with dot grid notebooks, my writing floats. I wouldnt mind as much but when I see the amazing penmanship you all have, I cant help but feel like a fool!

Pretty pleased with mine. Using one as for work notes. I still prefer the thinner TR paper (Nanami) for personal writing, but these Bond ones seem very nice for the money.

Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

• 2 months later...

I have been using this Bond notebook as a daily travel journal for the last two weeks. Very pleased with the paper and surprised with minimal show-through and the ability to write on both sides of the page. The book also lays very flat making it easy to write in. Wish the zippered cover was a tad larger so I could keep a pen tucked inside.

Overall, a very, very happy customer.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams