Penbbs 308 Feed Replacement Needed...

WJM

Today, during a nib swapping experiment with my Penbbs 308, I got most of the feed fins, in the part of the nib that comes out of the section, broken.

It doesn't seem to be a huge disaster, the pen works without them. However, I'd still like to replace it or at least have such option.

So is there a replacement Penbbs feed available to buy? I remember there were Penbbs nib units on eBay but they seem to be gone. Some other feed would fit perhaps?

Edited by WJM

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WJM

• Karmachanic

• Honeybadgers

• JollyCynic

This was discussed with Beini last week. Send her an email through the official PenBBS shop on Etsy and she'll arrange a feed for you, or any other part. Parts may need to wait for a production run if they're out of stock. Need to hurry, though, as they're closing for Chinese New Year at the weekend. (Typically, we just arrange shipping by letting her hold onto it until we make our next order and shipping it together. I don't know what arrangements she makes if there are no forthcoming orders.) I don't know what the cost is, but was planning on a couple after CNY.

In the for-what-it's-worth category, there have been strong hints that there will be new nib charms released later this year.

Finally, there are reports of other feeds fitting. It was discussed on Reddit that the Noodler's Ahab feed will fit. Someone has also said that the FPR 6.3mm fit, but needed to be heat set to get the nib tines back together after being placed due to a round nib collar and not-round feed. I haven't tried these myself, and those who confirmed them were fairly hard core tinkerers, so I don't personally vouch for the success.

Edited by JollyCynic

This is not an isolated incident. PenBBS need to step up and make a better quality feed. I for one will not be purchasing any more of their pens with the current feed.

Edited by Karmachanic

Add lightness and simplicate.

This is not an isolated incident. PenBBS need to step up and make a better quality feed. I for one will not be purchasing any more of their pens with the current feed.

It's not just their feeds. Their nib collars, converters, and even O-rings are all problematic. They're compromising their overall experience with the little things. I've never broken a feed, but had two that needed work on arrival. I've broken two nib collars, one just by using the pen. (I'm still using that collar as it doesn't seem to make any difference to the use of the pen, but the other one has basically disintegrated.) And O-rings can commonly shred just opening the barrel a few times. I've never personally had trouble with the converters, but have heard reports of others breaking theirs with too stern a look.

I'm personally happy enough stocking up on a few nib charms, but that's just not the right experience for everyone.

It's not just their feeds. Their nib collars, converters, and even O-rings are all problematic. They're compromising their overall experience with the little things.

I'd go as far to say that they compromise their long term reputation and future sales. O rings cost next to nothing relative to the cost of production of the pen itself. Jinhao manages to make sturdy feeds for their very inexpensive pens.

Disappointing and shortsighted given their potential. We'll see how it plays out.

really, I've been using the 308 since its first introduced to the market and I've found no issue with the O ring nor the converter , I did only swap 2 of mine with nibs from other ( one specialty calligraphy , and one from Platinum ) I do agree the feed can be better build for this purpose, though as a business PenBBS had always maintain that the nib are to be interchanged as a nib unit so they likely are not designing the feed for user servicing at all. The problem I have with them is that they do not offer nib unit separately as simply cataloged and current all the time and in different grind. They need to made those always stock.

Finally, there are reports of other feeds fitting. It was discussed on Reddit that the Noodler's Ahab feed will fit. Someone has also said that the FPR 6.3mm fit, but needed to be heat set to get the nib tines back together after being placed due to a round nib collar and not-round feed. I haven't tried these myself, and those who confirmed them were fairly hard core tinkerers, so I don't personally vouch for the success.

I've seen the reddit thread about FPR nib possibly fitting... The FPR and Noodlers's feeds don't have nipples, wouldn't that create a problem with air bubbles? And I'm talking about eyedroppered pen because using the converter in such case would probably be out of the question.

Edited by WJM

I've seen the reddit thread about FPR nib possibly fitting... The FPR and Noodlers's feeds don't have nipples, wouldn't that create a problem with air bubbles? And I'm talking about eyedroppered pen because using the converter in such case would probably be out of the question.

What? Why? The post that holds the converter in place is attached to the nib unit, not the feed, the same as virtually every other fountain pen on the planet. Granted, ink flow may be an issue without a tail on the feed but that would be an issue regardless of whether you used a converter or eyedropper'ed the pen.

Granted, ink flow may be an issue without a tail on the feed but that would be an issue regardless of whether you used a converter or eyedropper'ed the pen.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I just suspect the problem may be worse with the converter.

It always surprises me to think of the huge potential Chinese manufacturers would have in their hands to come out with a extremely high quality pen (due to their low cost labour and raw materials) and sell it at half the price of a western high quality pen.

PenBBS looked as though they were starting to understand the potential, but I have been disappointed by the difficulty in offering their models (almost impossible to find the desired colour/model, only unwanted colours available) and by the bad quality reports coming in.

So far I am refraining from buying any of their pens.

It always surprises me to think of the huge potential Chinese manufacturers would have in their hands to come out with a extremely high quality pen (due to their low cost labour and raw materials) and sell it at half the price of a western high quality pen.

PenBBS looked as though they were starting to understand the potential, but I have been disappointed by the difficulty in offering their models (almost impossible to find the desired colour/model, only unwanted colours available) and by the bad quality reports coming in.

So far I am refraining from buying any of their pens.

Call me weird but I actually find the limited availability of their limited edition colours oddly exciting. Kinda reminds me of lurking in markets in online TCGs looking for that one card to pop up. Hoping for the sunset acrylic to pop up in the near future.

QC Im kinda concerend with as well, which is why I only consider the c/c models where a syringe can deal with most technical problems.

Out of all my penbbs models (probably 20 by now) only one had weak fins. I am a serial nib swapper in them, and I just never grab the pen by the feed. Always hold the nib by the sides where it meets the section and pull firmly.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

What? Why? The post that holds the converter in place is attached to the nib unit, not the feed, the same as virtually every other fountain pen on the planet. Granted, ink flow may be an issue without a tail on the feed but that would be an issue regardless of whether you used a converter or eyedropper'ed the pen.

Except for feeds that don't have a "post" such as the ebonite feeds designed for ED only pens. Example can be found here

Edited by Karmachanic

beini recently released a packet of feeds and converters and O rings and stuff on the penbbs store.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• 4 weeks later...

Success. Recently I managed to buy two nib charms from Penbbs eBay store. Today they came.

Surprised how big those things are....

IMG-20190304-200131.jpg