Homemade Fountain Pen ! (Need Some Inputs From You Guys)

fplover5

Hello dear friends,

i have always wanted a fountain pen of my own design,

so i am in the process of making it.

Currently, i have made Cap, Barrel, Grip,

the material i usually use is japanese ebonite, although, in this post i used indian ebonite

i am woking on nib and feed.

the ebonite feed is in almost complete, yet still needs testing and refinement

the nib is complete except welding the point and slitting, which i am working on as of this moment.

i'd like to know what ya'll think about this.'

i will also post address to my youtube video, so you can see it in motion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZU9FMj579rU

attached is the actual picture of it.

any input greatly appreciated.

oh btw, i wanted to change my profile image, but it says profile edit disabled?

do i have to achieve specific amount of posts to change the profile image?

post-147641-0-71075700-1548031376_thumb.jpg

post-147641-0-19348600-1548031383_thumb.jpg

Edited by dovidu

eurekafp.com

◆Instagram: eureka_fp

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fplover5

• tamiya

• SoulSamurai

• carlos.q

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The ebonite pen body looks fantastic, that alone is impressive. But making your own feed and nib? That's incredible! I'm eagerly looking forwards to seeing the finished pen! Please take as many photos and videos of the process as possible!

I assume the pen is an eyedropper? Is the grip section a seperate piece from the barrel? If so then it looks like the cap threads onto the grip section rather than the barrel? This can be an issue on some pens because trying to unscrew the cap can end up unscrewing the barrel instead (so the cap comes off with the grip and nib still attached, leaving just the barrel in your other hand). On an eyedropper pen this could be a big problem as you could end up spilling ink everywhere.

The ebonite pen body looks fantastic, that alone is impressive. But making your own feed and nib? That's incredible! I'm eagerly looking forwards to seeing the finished pen! Please take as many photos and videos of the process as possible!

I assume the pen is an eyedropper? Is the grip section a seperate piece from the barrel? If so then it looks like the cap threads onto the grip section rather than the barrel? This can be an issue on some pens because trying to unscrew the cap can end up unscrewing the barrel instead (so the cap comes off with the grip and nib still attached, leaving just the barrel in your other hand). On an eyedropper pen this could be a big problem as you could end up spilling ink everywhere.

the pen uses converter, actually, for easy and low cost maintenance

eurekafp.com

the grip almost never unscrews, because when you tighten the grip to barrel, the force is always greater than that required by the cap.

the such phenomenon seldom happens

eurekafp.com

the pen uses converter, actually, for easy and low cost maintenance

A converter with an ebonite feed? Very nice.

the grip almost never unscrews, because when you tighten the grip to barrel, the force is always greater than that required by the cap.

the such phenomenon seldom happens

Fair enough. I had a pen once where for some reason the grip repeatedly stuck to the cap, so it's just something that I'm wary of. Out of curiosity, is it just easier to make the pen where both the cap and barrel thread onto the grip, or is there another reason for putting the threads on the grip rather than the barrel?

Fair enough. I had a pen once where for some reason the grip repeatedly stuck to the cap, so it's just something that I'm wary of.

Add some grip to the barrel's threads. :)

Dunno what's Standard Operating Procedure but powdered rosin works well enough. I've got a rack full of rosin'd horsehair bows conveniently hanging nearby, a quick swipe does the trick.

A converter with an ebonite feed? Very nice.

Fair enough. I had a pen once where for some reason the grip repeatedly stuck to the cap, so it's just something that I'm wary of. Out of curiosity, is it just easier to make the pen where both the cap and barrel thread onto the grip, or is there another reason for putting the threads on the grip rather than the barrel?

i can make both, although i just started out differently.

eurekafp.com

Add some grip to the barrel's threads. :)

Dunno what's Standard Operating Procedure but powdered rosin works well enough. I've got a rack full of rosin'd horsehair bows conveniently hanging nearby, a quick swipe does the trick.

i found out, the ebonite material itself has good enough grip,

i guess because it is still rubber lol

eurekafp.com