jmccarty3

I was shocked to read Glen Bowen's email this evening regarding the DC Supershow. It looked like everything was going so well. Anyone know what has happened?

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MarcShiman

• Parker51

• jmccarty3

• inkstainedruth

Since Glen sent this to many people, I don't think it's inappropriate to repost it here. This may be, I hope, a huge misunderstanding. Remember that this is only one side of the story:

Dear Exhibitors and Show Guests:

Today, it has come to my attention through Bob Johnson’s website that he is apparently ending our marketing and organizational partnership without notice.

According to Bob’s website, pencentral.com, he has removed the link to our new website dcsupershow.com and posted the following message:

Revised 1/15/19

All questions about the DC Fountain Pen Supershow should be addressed to

Bob Johnson dcpensupershow@yahoo.com

It is best to call or text me at 864-360-0835

I helped Bob solve problems with his show during the past 2 years as a friend and for no personal gain or reason other than to help him.

At the end of last year’s show Bob made an agreement with me to reorganize his show, build a new functional website, take over the marketing and a multitude of other administrative functions in order to achieve a better quality and professionally operated event.

I know I’ve done everything humanly possible to improve the show. For this I have no regrets.

I’ve kept my commitment, but apparently, Bob has decided not to keep his, or his word.

Earlier today, I left another message for Bob to call me one last time to see if we can overcome whatever problem he has decided we have, or whether this is about what I’ve already accomplished for the show.

I know something must be bugging Bob about our relationship, but I know not what.

Maybe Bob’s friends can reach out to him to see if there is any way we can salvage yet another show, otherwise I’ll need to step aside in your interest—the show’s exhibitors and guests who must always come first.

Thank you for your support and interest in helping me to accomplish so much up to this point, even if it seems unclear that any of it will stick now. My apologies to you for that.

I’m always available to talk, share or commiserate about this situation.

FYI: I have copied Bob on this email so maybe he will reach out to you soon.

Sincerely,

Glen Bowen

glen@dcsupershow.com

I'm going to go out on a very short limb and say that Bob can't handle someone else making positive changes to the show based on vendor and visitor feedback. By all appearances and interaction, he's completely distant from the reality of the show.

I've talked with Bob several times over the past two years about it. And it seemed that after last year's show, with new energy being put into organization, things were looking up.

Bob just can't seem to get through his head that what he's doing isn't helpful. He needs help for the show. He can not do this alone, as evidenced by the past two shows.

I certainly will not return with a table again. It's saddening and frustrating to see this nonsense.

Bob has this on his site. I blanked out his phone to be nice. He doesn't answer it anyway.

"all questions about the DC Fountain Pen Supershow should be addressed to

Bob Johnson dcpensupershow@yahoo.com

It is best to call or text me at 864-360-****

Let me be clear in stating that I, Bob Johnson, am the sole show organizer for the DC Fountain Pen Supershow and my website is Pencentral.com. Given the recent developments, I am working on updating the website so please be patient while we get that in place. Prices will be the same as last year and if you have already paid someone other than me, call or text me at 864-360-****

This is most regrettable, especially considering the effort Glen has put into a new and most helpful website, plus all the planning, table assignments, etc. He has regularly kept everyone informed, which has never happened before. It appears that Bob has kicked Glen out of the picture without even discussing it with him. I am astonished.

This is an important disclaimer before rushing to judgement:

"Remember that this is only one side of the story"

I've been informed that there are two sides to this, but whoever bears responsibility, it's most unfortunate.

I've had to miss the past several years due to the date change. I know that there were lots of issues the first year at the new site, but from what I saw in a thread here last year, things seemed to be looking up and more information about the show was available sooner. So I'm a little dismayed to see this thread. DCSS was. my first pen show, and I had a great time the three years I got to go (that was at the old site in Tyson's Corners).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

This is an important disclaimer before rushing to judgement:

"Remember that this is only one side of the story"

I've been informed that there are two sides to this, but whoever bears responsibility, it's most unfortunate.

From what I can tell two sides might be a low estimate.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

This doesnt bode well for the show no matter the outcome.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I honestly don't understand why the internal politics of how this show is run is such a compelling topic. Last year, we were immersed in "the sky is falling" posts when a handful of vendors decided not to attend the show. People were calling for a competing show to emerge, people were predicting doom - and yet the show was fabulous.

My point - a show's greatness does not come from the organizer, it comes from the attendees and the vendors. DC still attracts some of the industry's best vendors, and attendees come from around the world.

If the gossip is juicy and its worth time to discuss of who did what to who, I guess its a thing to discuss. But the predictions of failure are misplaced. It wouldn't be a stretch to guess that the DC show will start out disorganized (again), and the logistics will be messy, but it will be a great show regardless of the seemingly endless drama.

Organizers are essential as they secure the venue as well as run the show. If the person who has chosen to run a Washington D.C. area show chooses for any reason to not have a show, or is unable to run a show, I hope they let people know ahead of time early enough for someone else to put one on. I understand it is a lot of work and there is minimal profit, especially compared to the risk associated with fronting the working capital. It is not something I have the capability to do.

I am simply afraid it will not happen.

There is no NYC show. There is a Long Island show.

The Baltimore pen show is now the Baltimore/ Washington pen show.

There is now a St. Louis pen show in June, Miami in July, San Francisco later in August and Commonwealth in September. These shows close in time and in regard to Baltimore/Washington, location are all indirect competitors.

I want to be able to go to the D.C. Supershow, but I know it is not a forgone conclusion it will happen.

And if it does not happen this year, given the competition that is out there, it might not happen as a great big show again, if it would come back at all.

Given the weather problems that can happen in January, maybe the Philadelphia show organizers would relocate on the calendar to August if the schedule opened up then. Yes, Philadelphia in August is not ideal, but it is no hotter than D.C.

Edited by Parker51

You are right, no show is a foregone conclusion. Any show could collapse at any time.

But the DC show has been going for more than 20 years, and, aside from a public spat between the organizer and a significant contributor the last two years, it's hard to see what is different this year than the last 20 years. Maybe Bob made some sort of proclamation that he's not sure he wants to do this anymore, but I haven't seen that.

Tell you what, call him up and see if there are any wall tables or ballroom tables available. Call him in April and see if there any any tables at all available. My bet is that you would find this show alive and well.

I hope this is the case. I may be retired when the DC Show typical is held, or be retiring that month and as such would have a better chance than I have ever had as work typically rules out my attendance of events in August that last more than a day.

It's likely by now that Bob has a contract with the hotel. If so, he's committed, and will be working hard to make the show succeed. I think you can expect it will come together per usual. It's too bad to see the emails flying around, and I had my check returned to me today by Glen, so a bit of a nuisance, but it'll probably work out.

Rob Morrison

www.vintagewriting.com

After doing a bit of research it would seem the show will go on - Bob is committed and there's no need to be concerned. This is coming from someone who knows and has communicated with Bob directly.

So according to Bob's email tonight, this division seems to be over Glen assigning new tables and beginning to accept payment for the shows.

Hmm, well let's see. Last year, when I spoke with Bob about two months after I sent payment and tried to get him to confirm receipt, he said that he had a pile of unopened registrations on his kitchen table. He wasn't going to open them until closer to the show. As I recall, this was in mid April. Those payments and registrations need to be opened right away and not left to pile up. Some of those payments were for people coming out of the country. Those need to be confirmed quickly because of the extensive planning and expense involved. Don't wait until the last moment to tell them yay or nay that they have a table. But what the heck, I'm not in charge.

As for making sure that I still get the same table in the customer blind spot in the middle of the small ballroom that doesn't get advertised until later in the show, well, sign me back up for that one. I like wasting time and money getting a table in a spot that people don't see and doesn't get advertised. No matter how well I advertised it myself.

At the least, after this last show, they were mapping the rooms, sorting out the table numbering scheme, and trying to make improvements for this year and beyond. And those people were not Bob.