John Twiss Pens (With Link To Pen Review)

dapprman

I've had a look here and while I find his name mentioned in various threads I don't think anyone has actually done coverage. I get the impression that within the UK John is one of the worst kept secrets of the pen world, where as outside, especially in the US he seems to be over looked (I may be wrong there, in fact I'd be happy to be wrong). I should point out from the start is my only connection to John is having spoken to him a few times at pen shows and both of us having IT connections (though I seem to remember he was a mainframer before early retirement, where as I have a UNIX background).

A certain amount of the following has been taken from his website, but those on the 'right' Facebook groups will also recognise some of the pens I mention and he is very approachable at pen shows if he's not busy.

John is based out of a workshop at the Sherwood Forest Art and Craft Centre near Mansfield, though he is also a regular at most of the pen shows in the UK. He was also part of the group who helped restart the Newcastle Pen show. His website does say he welcomes visitors, though I suspect it is safest to ring him in advance. I know I should be in the area around April/May so will try to pop in myself for a nose around (and maybe another purchase).

So down to his pens. John works by eye so each pen is made with attention to detail but no two will be absolutely identical. The fit and finish is very good. At the shows, and from his website, you can buy pens made with acrylic and ebonite rods, but also from rods made by/for Conway Stewart and OMAS. These obviously cost more as the materials themselves also do. On his list there are also pens with steel and silver work, which I believe are also done by him as his website does state he only buys in clips, materials and nibs. He has made some very interesting one offs (though annoyingly at this moment in time I can not find photos). Two years ago he re-bodied a Pelikan M800 in OMAS ARCO Brown, which he sold on eBay. Last year he also re-boddied an M1000 in the same material, though I'm not sure if this was for sale or a private commission). On talking else where (while actually writing this) I've been reminded he also re-bodied a Montblanc in ARCO for a private commission.

The easiest way to buy from John, unless there is a specific pen or commission you are after, is to go to a UK pen show. Chances are he will have a table and from experience he is happy for you to handle the pens (you should really ask first) and also to do nib dip tests. He does seem to bring a large selection with him.

John's website is at http://www.handmadefountainpens.co.uk

My review of two of his pens, so you can have a more personal view is at https://dapprman.wordpress.com/2019/01/19/john-twiss-pens/

Hopefully some other owners of his pens will add to here.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bbs

• dapprman

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for starting this topic - John's pens don't get the praise they deserve!

I first came across one on his website, and had to have it, the colours were so unusual (it's the one on the left, John called it Tutti Frutti!) The quality of the finish really impressed me, it's a sturdy pen that feels right in every aspect.

So when the news came that Conway Stewart were ceasing production, I grabbed a few of their rods that the Turners Workshop were selling and have gradually been asking John to make me pens from them. He did a fantastic job interpreting what I wanted in the Shingle and the Honey Noire, particularly. The Dartmoor also turned out well but really has to be seen to be appreciated.

The bog oak was made by John but I actually came across it on another seller's table at the London Pen Show a couple of years ago - it's got an outrageous Franklin-Christoph music nib!

Apologies for the appalling quality of the photos - I had to grab the chance to take them while I had time and the light was not great - as well as everything else about them. They really don't do these pens justice!post-23341-0-66783100-1548596767_thumb.jpg

post-23341-0-19079300-1548596849_thumb.jpg

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)