Pelikan Souverän M1000 & M1005

ingolf

A short impression of the best Pelikan fountain pens ever made (my very personal opinion).

post-121236-0-52266900-1547914834_thumb.jpg

The M1000 is my day-by-day pen since several weeks. The B-nib is wonderful and the ink capacity amazing.

post-121236-0-76278100-1547914866_thumb.jpg

The M1005 is still unused but a beautiful jewel.

post-121236-0-75148100-1547914891_thumb.jpg

Take these ... and maybe a Montblanc Heritage 1912 ... and you will need no more further pens.

Regards, Ingolf.

https://schreibkultur.requirements.de ... my blog - currently in German only

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• Calabria

• gmax

• ingolf

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I finally got a 1005....and it was not as huge as I'd maintained since trying one near a decade ago before I had many ....well more, Large pens.

The best pen Pelikan ever made is a semi/maxi-semi-flex medium-long 400nn, with somehow @ 1.95 cm ink load...

..regular 200/400 @ 127, 600-800 A 1.37, 1000 @ 1.45.....same as a 146...149 is 1.60....as much as one of the old time long Sheaffer cartridges.

It took me two years to judge the medium-long (same width) 400nn better than a 400.

I do like the girth of the 600 and it's balance. It too is medium-long, but actually medium large due to the girth.

Is it better than the 400NN?...not quite....but they are different and girth. That makes quite a difference.

I must admit I've not tried a 800 since I trans-mailed a W.Germany 800 and got to play with it for three days...............too heavy and clunky is what I thought then (loved the tad springier than '90's nib) .

The 1000 I tried in my B&M about the same time was even Huger, and more clunky.

I tried it back when Bock was making semi-flex nibs....and it was semi-flex not springy as some said. IMO the later nibs made by Pelikan are only regular flex like my 1005 OBB....that to my shock, turned out to not be too fat and clunky.....I'd gotten a 'deal' in a live auction on one.

Years with an occasional use of large and often metal Large pens, like the Lamy Persona, Cross Townsend, thin Pelikan 381/Celebry ate at the Huge , heavy and clunky image.

No, the 400nn has the best balance....second best 400, more or less third is the 600....and the 600 has ever so many beautiful models.....that is my reason to pick it as a great and very, very good balanced pen...............not quite as good as the 200/400 & 400nn. The 600 like the 400's is a very nice light and nimble well balanced pen. Unfortunately too expensive for me to own more than one....the pre'97 small 600 don't count in it's nothing but a fancy 400.

I though grew up Back in The Day, of standard and medium-long/large pens....so Large or Oversized pens have a lot further to go to prove them selves to me, than someone who grew up when Large pens were normal issue and Oversized pens not much of a jump..

I'm glad you are happy with your 1000&1005.....by the way do you have a semi-flex (Bock) one or are both regular flex.

I never agreed that the 800 was the best of all pens either....especially modern.....would be in the running I image ...if one had a slights tad springier W.Germany nib.

The 600 will take a semi-flex '50-65 vintage nib. :notworthy1: :thumbup: :puddle: Had a semi-flex B in it for quite a while before getting the regular semi-nail BB made 1.0.

One must have a semi-vintage or vintage nib to make a 600 dance..(I'm not enthused by the semi-nail modern 400/600 nib no matter how butter smooth it is) ..............the 800 and 1000 can only take it's own nibs. :headsmack:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Ingolf, thanks for sharing your impressions, and those great images :thumbup:

Your M1000 looks like an older model, with the black finial, and that B nib looks distinctly stubbish!

You have inspired me to fish out my M1005 :happyberet:

✒️ :happyberet:

Nice photos. I prefer the older style and the nib looks wonderful!

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Great pens and some of the best modern production nibs of any Pelikan. I wish I used mine more but they dont fit my method of carry. If they cant fit my shirt pocket, they stay at home which relegates the M10xx to the desk.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan