Montblanc Great Characters James Dean Special Edition

Michael R.

My boutique associate has reached out, I suppose that means the pens have finally reached his boutique. Im trying to in a way convince myself that I need it and I dont.

The pictures that you have posted have surely made it look like one that I would like in my collection.

I enjoy collecting them and using them.

I at first thought the red would be a deal breaker but it really does work for this pen.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bultaco

• Michael R.

• BillH

• pwsuba

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

I just received my Dean my today. For now it has a F nib on it, initial writing sample says it writes good and Ill be keeping the F, as I made sure to receive it in F.

I love the details and its a great size. The only slight worry I have is that the piston cap being metal adds a bit of weight on the back hopefully it doesnt cause too much of a pendulum effect. Though I figure it will be similar to my ultrablack.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice photos you have taken there, Michael.

I got the James Dean recently. F nib. I love the crown on the cap because it's so unlike some of the Starwalker or Meisterstück.

Reminds me of a crown actually.

Love the thick barrel. Did a photo comparison with Visconti HS Lava Maxi. Both fits nicely into my hand when I write.

post-148891-0-57789900-1553682231_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

Thanks Tom. I have a preference darker red inks and love the James Dean.

~ gerigo:

I'm glad to know that.

The James Dean Rebel Red loves to shade on quality paper.

It's well-behaved, without any bleed-through or feathering.

There's a firey richness to the color which stands out while writing.

I'd have made a mistake had I passed it up.

Somehow I'd foolishly supposed that Rebel Red was “just another red”.

What shifted my thinking was an off-hand remark about Rebel Red by a friend, which piqued my curiosity.

Now that it's on my writing desk, I look forward to using it for notes and sketches around the close of the year.

Those darker red inks have a potent charm.

Tom K.

• 2 years later...

This is one nice pen!  

Ordered mine fro0m Bryant today.   What an awesome place to get this pen.   Mine will be my first OBB.   Any time I can say Double Broad in a sentence, I'm happy.  

This one kinda needs an On-Ink review.    

Hopefully 

Most of my friends, when shown a new fountain pen say:  "What?  You pay that much for a pen and it doesn't even come filled with ink?" 

It probably wouldn't make them feel any better when shown what the proper coordinating ink cost.

Oh well, I can't wait!  Montgomery Stationers still have a few bottles of James Dean ink remaining.  

On 2/10/2022 at 9:41 AM, Bultaco said:

Most of my friends, when shown a new fountain pen say:  "What?  You pay that much for a pen and it doesn't even come filled with ink?" 

It probably wouldn't make them feel any better when shown what the proper coordinating ink cost.

Oh well, I can't wait!  Montgomery Stationers still have a few bottles of James Dean ink remaining.  

Oooo... I'd stay away from Montgomery Stationers. They are quite fake, a front really to separate you from your hard earned cash. If you want James Dean ink, the recent ACD ink is an identical ink in a different fancy packaging.

On 2/9/2022 at 7:41 PM, Bultaco said:

They don't have to worry because you're not spending their money.

On 9/18/2019 at 7:05 AM, Tom Kellie said:

fpn_1568786609__red-hued_inks.jpg

Missed this post waaay back in 2019 but great comparison reference and thanks for posting. I regularly use Corn Poppy red and was only recently corrected to its correct name as I had always referred to it as Poppy Corn red, think I am simply tolerated by some / many now !   :-) 

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

On 2/10/2022 at 7:20 PM, gerigo said:

Oooo... I'd stay away from Montgomery Stationers. They are quite fake, a front really to separate you from your hard earned cash. If you want James Dean ink, the recent ACD ink is an identical ink in a different fancy packaging.

You mean the store or the ink is fake?   

The store. Unless they have recently changed hands, I lived about a couple blocks away from them in New York City and they don't have a single item in stock in their store. The store was just a front. It was like a mini version of a Staples, a neighborhood stationery store and was a dusty mess. They were selling copier paper, cheap stationery and print supplies. I asked them once where were their pens, and they said if you want something, we will get it from the warehouse for you in a few days. I promptly left. They are no longer there incidentally. In the past, there was a lot of controversy over where they got their stock and how people got burned from the EBAY transactions. I thought they were one of those companies who have since faded away with the tightening of e-commerce security.

As for the Montblanc ink uproar, I will not recount it here. Suffice to say, some people were quite angry. For those of us who missed out, it's a great opportunity to get the ink again.

8 hours ago, Bultaco said:

You mean the store or the ink is fake?   

Gerigo:

Thank you so much for your kindness, and for showing concern for your fellow FPN'rs.   The ink I ordered is "out for delivery" by the USPS, and with a little luck, the ink will be authentic.

That said, I cannot imagine a nicer group of people with whom to share Fountain Pen ideas, thoughts, unboxings, and reviews.   This sort of genuine concern for each other could serve as a behavioral model from which the rest of the world could learn a valuable lesson.   Kindness and respect are far more valuable than most people realize.    Imagine if everyone treated each other as well as we do here at FPN.

FPN is one of the few remaining sources of civilized behavior extant.   Every new post makes me smile.

Thank you again, and I'll be certain to post something after the James Dean and it's ink arrive later today.

Patrick

Bultaco said, “. . .This sort of genuine concern for each other could serve as a behavioral model from which the rest of the world could learn a valuable lesson.   Kindness and respect are far more valuable than most people realize.    Imagine if everyone treated each other as well as we do here at FPN. . .”

@Bultaco Hear! Hear!  Very well articulated and absolutely spot-on.  I couldn’t agree more.