My Pen Storage Diy

MichalK

Well, it started as an experiment then escalated quickly.

I added a DYI pad to cover of my ink box.

http://gakko.pl/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/MG_3138.jpg

A few days later, after I reached the limits of my usual storage (Visconti 12 pen rigid pouch and one more 12 pen wallet) i decided to adopt a cigar box.

http://gakko.pl/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/MG_3134.jpg

And now it grew even further:

http://gakko.pl/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/MG_3127.jpg

http://gakko.pl/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/MG_3135.jpg

Materials used: boxes, different types of felt, balsa wood pieces (from artists shop), plastic t-bars, and some glue ;) Wood stain and wax fof boxes.

Any good ?

(some making off pictures attached)

post-147025-0-64401900-1547842817_thumb.jpg

post-147025-0-33079900-1547842940_thumb.jpg

post-147025-0-95264300-1547842953_thumb.jpg

Michal

URUSHI Studio, bespoke urushi fountain pens

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MichalK

• Bibliophage

• gordonf

• surprise123

Step by step ;)

Clean the box - cigar box, wine box, any usefull. Just maks sure that internal dumentions minu felt thickness will be enogth fir you pens

Pain the box. Woid stain, wood lackuer, color wood wax (natural).

Cut felt (stiff nnad thick kind) to side walls and lid. Use natural carpenter glue.

Cut a piece of stiff cardboard or artist sandchwitch foam to size 6-8 mm smakler than bottim of your box after you add felt to walls. It will becoms a base of your pen rack, and will be remowable if needed.

Cut balsa pieces or L-shaped plastic or wood bars to base width. Glue them to base on intervals that siut you. In my case usualy 20mm.

Cut softer felt to size andlu glue it barb after bar to your rack. There are many options for this part and im still experimentong.

Wait do dry and bond - put inside the box

Voila ;)

In reality - just try. Start with something basic - like simple try and wirk it out. Be creative - i used my sons tools he uses for his warhammer builds.

Michal

URUSHI Studio, bespoke urushi fountain pens

• 1 month later...

A fellow pen enthusiast I came across converts old (probably 1940s - 70s) silverware boxes into pen storage cases. He refinishes them and swaps the silverware storage set up for pens storage. The wood and construction of these old cases are generally quite nice. Many are made of mahogany with dovetail joinery.

I asked him to make a drawer tray to attach to my desk. He used a silverware case top, refinished it to match my desk, and put the pen storage channels in it. I attached drawer slides and installed in under my desk top.

I don't have a large collection, but I do use most of my pens and pencils regularly. For me, this works nicely. The drawer is shallow, so it doesn’t interfere with my legs when I'm seated at the desk. My pens are at hand when I want to use them, but out of the way otherwise.

If you're handy with DIY projects, this probably wouldn't be too difficult.

post-30246-0-39404700-1550532570_thumb.jpg

post-30246-0-15333400-1550532586_thumb.jpg

"Posted Yesterday, 22:50

So, where do you find old silverware cases? Every time I look for things like that, they want 'more than new' prices"

I'm not sure where you're located, but I occasionally troll thrift stores when I'm "out and about" and frequently see them for under $5...often significantly under.

Many need some degree of re-finishing, but are generally structurally sound.

"Posted Yesterday, 22:50

So, where do you find old silverware cases? Every time I look for things like that, they want 'more than new' prices"

I'm not sure where you're located, but I occasionally troll thrift stores when I'm "out and about" and frequently see them for under $5...often significantly under.

Many need some degree of re-finishing, but are generally structurally sound.

Houston - and most of the thrift stores are being driven out, other than the Value Village chain. Basically, the thrift stores are being pushed out in favour of more yuppie-larvae/DINC housing.

• 10 months later...

Very nice! I have a cabinet I built, one of those kit things, with 8 drawers. They're plenty deep for pens and I made some boxes with cardstock peaks and valleys but I'd like something nicer. I just need trays tho, not boxes.

I'll continue to look.