Black N' Red Review

food158

Sorry the pictures are sideways.

After being recommended Black N' Red paper because I wanted a letter size paper that can sheen, I now present you the Black N' Red notebook review.

Pros:

• Available at Staples and if it's at staples it's probably everywhere.
  • Fountain pen friendly
  • Minimalistic cover
  • Double ring notebook is perforated
  • Cheap $7 96 page notebook vs $16 Rhodia notebook

Cons:

• Tacky motivational quotes littered everywhere.
  • Casebound notebook is hard to lay flat and keeps closing on itself.

I ordered some Sailor Kin Mokusei, Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses, and a Noodler's Creaper pen, so I will try to update with some of those samples.

Nothing bled through the back, but you can see some of the swabs ghost, crinkle the paper a little, and darken the spot.

As far as sheen, they come through on swabs and a little bit if I flex the stub nib. You might have more success with regular writing if you use a more notably sheening ink and very broad nib.

post-139874-0-51948500-1547775310_thumb.jpg

post-139874-0-83054700-1547775556_thumb.jpg

post-139874-0-35418700-1547775618_thumb.jpg

post-139874-0-57866900-1547775635_thumb.jpg

post-139874-0-49904100-1547775949_thumb.jpg

post-139874-0-69795300-1547775963_thumb.jpg

Edited by food158

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• food158

• carlos.q

• Mulrich

• LizEF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really like these notebooks, not only because they have fp-friendly paper in an economical package, but also because the paper used by Black N' Red is white. Rhodia webbies are more expensive and have ivory paper that I detest.

The only difference between the notebooks I have bought in OfficeMax, Office Depot and even Wal-Mart and the one you have reviewed is that mine do not have the "Tacky motivational quotes".

Edited by carlos.q

Yes, no motivational quotes in mine. I got mine off Amazon - only the spiral-bound, I've never tried the hardcover ones.

Yes, no motivational quotes in mine. I got mine off Amazon - only the spiral-bound, I've never tried the hardcover ones.

Really? I bought both the hardcover small notebook and the spiral bound. Both have the quotes.

I really like these notebooks, not only because they have fp-friendly paper in an economical package, but also because the paper used by Black N' Red is white. Rhodia webbies are more expensive and have ivory paper that I detest.

The only difference between the notebooks I have bought in OfficeMax, Office Depot and even Wal-Mart and the one you have reviewed is that mine do not have the "Tacky motivational quotes".

I could imagine that you detest the yellow legal pad?

Really? I bought both the hardcover small notebook and the spiral bound. Both have the quotes.

:) Yep, really. Two A5, one A6, and one 8.5" x 11" - no motivational quotes. Maybe they've redesigned, or maybe it's different for things sold at Staples - if so, I would have to wonder if the paper is different too.

(Edited to add links.)

Edited by LizEF

Last one I bought at Staples had no quotes. Really love the paper, works well with fountain pens for me.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Sorry the pictures are sideways.

After being recommended Black N' Red paper because I wanted a letter size paper that can sheen, I now present you the Black N' Red notebook review.

Pros:

• Available at Staples and if it's at staples it's probably everywhere.
  • Fountain pen friendly
  • Minimalistic cover
  • Double ring notebook is perforated
  • Cheap $7 96 page notebook vs $16 Rhodia notebook

Cons:

• Tacky motivational quotes littered everywhere.
  • Casebound notebook is hard to lay flat and keeps closing on itself.

I ordered some Sailor Kin Mokusei, Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses, and a Noodler's Creaper pen, so I will try to update with some of those samples.

Nothing bled through the back, but you can see some of the swabs ghost, crinkle the paper a little, and darken the spot.

As far as sheen, they come through on swabs and a little bit if I flex the stub nib. You might have more success with regular writing if you use a more notably sheening ink and very broad nib.

Rhodia pad A5 160 pages is 4 swiss francs = 4$ here. It is even cheaper in France.

I don't like it. It is nowhere near Tomoe river.

No trite quotes in the UK (where Black'n'Red' is originally from) either.

Of note, I believe in the US there is a slight difference between Black'n'Red and Oxford - the former is meant to be smoother. I've tried and tested in the UK and the only difference I can find is packaging.

BTW where it was originally made is just a half mile to mile away from me (now a couple of business parks), unless it was the Apsley Lock plant, in which case that's cross town ;).

I bought an 8.5x11 Black N' Red notepad from Amazon a while back and had a favorable opinion of it. My only two complaints were 1) the color wasn't as bright as Rhodia-type paper; 2) once you tear out a page the size is closer to 8x11.

Otherwise, the paper's fountain pen performance (i.e., bleed through, feathering, and sheen) were all solid.

I'll probably use it as my daily paper. It seems weird that it isn't as publicized for being an overall amazing performance at 8.5 x 11.

Rhodia pad A5 160 pages is 4 swiss francs = 4$ here. It is even cheaper in France.

I don't like it. It is nowhere near Tomoe river.

Tomoe River is in its own class with the sheen it produces.

I've also come to dislike the quite yellowy cream/ivory of the Rhodia web notebooks.

I use the hardback Black N' Red notebooks and mine also have no "motivational quotes." I wouldn't have bought them otherwise.

The paper does very well with Pilot Parallel pens which lay down thick wet lines. There is no discernible feathering and very light bleedthrough depending on the nib width chosen.

We don’t have the black and red brand here downunder but we do have black and red notebooks (no brand). They are varying quality and generally disappointing. I keep looking out for the genuine version. Heading to Hawaii for a short holiday soon so will try to pick up a few to try from there.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

I LOVE Red N Blacks! They are the perfect "cheap" notebook. I use them for scribbles, to-do lists, and the like. Much less painful using a cheap notebook and tearing a page out than using a nice notebook and tearing a nice piece of half-used paper out to crumple in your pocket for the trip to the market!

Montblanc Pen PolishFountain Pen Flush

We don’t have the black and red brand here downunder but we do have black and red notebooks (no brand). They are varying quality and generally disappointing. I keep looking out for the genuine version. Heading to Hawaii for a short holiday soon so will try to pick up a few to try from there.

I would dare say the notebooks I have used rival my Clairefontaine Triomphe pad.

Every single one of you say that your Black N' Red notebooks do not have motivational quotes. I think this would be a new change, especially since the top critical review on amazon says they have motivational quotes.

I really like these notebooks and have used one every day at work for the past 6 years or so. I love the bright white paper - looks good and clean and shows off a good ink nicely.