Modern Montblanc 149 Nibs

Mr.Rene

Greetings all,

My new from factory Montblanc 149 has some ink flow issue. I find it writes far too dryly and it feels stiff too. It is Broad, B, tip 18 ks gold and filled with Aurora Blue ink…I am really upset...it is not I expected… Is this usual in new nibs from Montblanc factory in actual years??

Regards,

:happyberet:

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• Driften

• SpecTP

• minddance

I have a MB Virginia Wolf....and would expect the modern MB nib to be much fatter than semi-vintage or Vintage, that I have in the '70-80's Large 146 and the vintage '50-60's medium-large 146.

I expect the modern MB nib to be a 'Springy' nib, good tine bend, and only 2 X tine spread.

Expecting a wide nib, was satisfied at the B&M with the M that wrote like a B, but at home had better paper....so the M wrote like a M.

I neglected to tell MB when I swapped nibs, that I wanted middle of tolerance or even on the thin side of tolerance. So I ended up with a B that writes BB.

Wet, some what stubbish which is to be expected with MB's wider nibs.

You didn't say what width.

But Unicial is right, if after cleaning....and are you using an MB ink? If that don't work, send it back for a free repair.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Not typical in my experience. As noted, give it a good clean out and try again. If you bought it new MB warranty will address the flow issue. The new nibs are fairly stiff in my opinion, and have been since the 1970s.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

:P I've heard the 149's with cartridges have that problem. ;) :bunny01:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I wasn't looking for that, but only have the blue. Wasn't in my Blue phase so only used it once....it is it's own shade. :( Didn't take time to really compare it. :rolleyes: :headsmack:

MB is a medium dry ink, shading towards medium.

Against the advice from Mont Blanc, I'd say, feed your pen with some Diamine Midnight, Chocolate Brown, Oxblood; Herbin Lie de The, Perle Noir, Rouge Grenat; Rohrer&Klingner Aubergine, Konigsblau; Waterman Purple; Iroshizuku Asa gao, Tsuki Yo.

These inks work flawlessly in my very dry Pilot 74ef.

Waterman inks are wet and safe............many Japanese inks are wet also.

But really think of returning the pen for repair........you paid enough for it....and as a top line pen, it 'must' work well.

My 80's/90's vintage 149 14k has an odd duck nib, it lays down a dry EF that ALMOST skips with no pressure, with even the tiniest amount of pressure it's a wet F, and with "average" pressure it's a B. All with no visible spread of the tines.

Yours sounds like it needs a thorough flush followed by maybe a return to the retailer or to MB for warranty work.

Never be afraid to send a pen in for warranty work, but don't hesitate either. Most companies warranty the nib for far less than the pen (visconti warranties the pen for like five years but the nib for like 30 days)

people pointing towards other inks - If the pen won't write well with aurora blue, something's wrong. If it wrote too dry (but didn't skip) with pelikan 4001, I'd say change inks. But aurora blue is plenty wet

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

My 80's/90's vintage 149 14k has an odd duck nib, it lays down a dry EF that ALMOST skips with no pressure, with even the tiniest amount of pressure it's a wet F, and with "average" pressure it's a B. All with no visible spread of the tines.

Yours sounds like it needs a thorough flush followed by maybe a return to the retailer or to MB for warranty work.

Never be afraid to send a pen in for warranty work, but don't hesitate either. Most companies warranty the nib for far less than the pen (visconti warranties the pen for like five years but the nib for like 30 days)

people pointing towards other inks - If the pen won't write well with aurora blue, something's wrong. If it wrote too dry (but didn't skip) with pelikan 4001, I'd say change inks. But aurora blue is plenty wet

I agree about Aurora Blue. It's wet enough to show what flow your pen is capable of.

Sounds to me like you need to send it back, and persist until you get a wet one. It's too expensive a pen to attempt nib adjustment yourself, at least it would be for me.

Also try a wetter ink.... Aurora inks tend to be dry inks.

auroras are among the wettest inks out there.

Edited by Andrea_R

auroras are among the wettest inks out there.

I must be having a senior moment. For some reason I'm remembering they are one of the dry inks... happy to be wrong.

""""having a senior moment"""" I've been having them all my life...or I'd been an A student.

When one gets old....other old folks, start mumbling 'now it starts', if they forget anything. Fearing Youngheimers.....

Well, if it was important, like a place to get free beer, they'd not forgotten it..... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

As a lover of broad nib and wet flowing pens, I use Auroras an Waterman inks are two of the wettest inks around, at least that is the advice I was given from some knowledgeable in this site. It's my experience that they have been correct!