Parker Duofold C. 1921-1935 Photo Thread

PenHero

Hi, Folks!

Thought I would start a thread on the original Duofolds, including the streamline type. Even though I am a Sheaffer collector, I've managed to have quite a few Duofolds pass through over the years. I'll also consolodate other Dufould picture threads into this one so we can share photos and stories.

This is a Parker Duofold Junior in Mandarin Yellow Permanite c. 1927. According the Shepherd and Zazove Parker Duofold book, in April 1927 George Parker chose this new color he named Imperial Yellow because of what he saw on a Cloisonné vase in Kyoto, Japan. The color is called Chinese Yellow in the 1927 catalog and eventually Parker settled on the name Mandarin Yellow. This 4 9/16 inch long Junior button filling pen sold for $5.00 in 1927 and the matching pencil was $3.50. The very firm 14 karat gold nib is stamped PARKER over DUOFOLD over PEN and was offered in extra fine, fine, medium, broad, stub and oblique. Initially popular, Mandarin Yellow became the worst selling Duofold color. This example shows typical plating loss on the gold filled trim. Mandarin Yellow pens are subject to cracks in the cap lip and discoloration.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/ParkerDuofoldJuniorMandarin_1280_01.jpg
Thanks!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenHero

• Barry Gabay

• mitto

• GlenV

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, Folks!

This is a Parker Lady Duofold in Mandarin Yellow Permanite c. 1928-29. According the Shepherd and Zazove Parker Duofold book, in April 1927 George Parker chose this new color he named Imperial Yellow because of what he saw on a Cloisonné vase in Kyoto, Japan. The color is called Imperial Mandarin Yellow in the 1929 catalog and eventually Parker settled on the name Mandarin Yellow. This 4 1/2 inch long button filling ringtop pen sold for $5.00 in 1929 and the matching ringtop pencil was $3.50. This example is made in Canada and has a very firm 18 karat gold nib stamped PARKER over DUOFOLD over PEN over CANADA over 18CT and was offered in extra fine, fine, medium, broad, stub and oblique. The imprint on the barrel reads GEO. S. PARKER over TORONTO next to Lady DUOFOLD over the Lucky Curve banner next to FOUNTAIN PEN over CANADA. Initially popular, Mandarin Yellow became the worst selling Duofold color. Mandarin Yellow pens are subject to cracks in the cap lip and discoloration.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/ParkerLadyDuofoldMandarin_1280_01.jpg
Thanks!

The 1920s-30s Duofold is one of my all-time favorite fountain pens. After hunting for several years and finding the first one in1983 at a flea market for $5.00, I felt that I owned the two ultimate fountain pens: a senior Big Red Parker Duofold and a Montblanc 149. I decided to stop collecting more fountain pens. Have lied to myself a few more times over the years. Don't know how to turn this photo properly. Sorry. Enjoy the weekend. Barry PS For people who like "Where's Waldo?" there are two non-Duofold writing instruments in the photo.

Hi, Folks!

This is a Parker Duofold Junior in Mandarin Yellow Permanite c. 1928-29. According the Shepherd and Zazove Parker Duofold book, in April 1927 George Parker chose this new color he named Imperial Yellow because of what he saw on a Cloisonné vase in Kyoto, Japan. The color is called Imperial Mandarin Yellow in the 1929 catalog and eventually Parker settled on the name Mandarin Yellow. This 4 1/2 inch long button filling pen sold for $5.00 in 1929 and the matching pencil was $3.50. The firm 14 karat gold nib was offered in extra fine, fine, medium, broad, stub and oblique. Initially popular, Mandarin Yellow became the worst selling Duofold color. Mandarin Yellow pens are subject to cracks in the cap lip and discoloration.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/ParkerDuofoldJuniorMandarin_1280_02.jpg
Thanks!

The 1920s-30s Duofold is one of my all-time favorite fountain pens. After hunting for several years and finding the first one in1983 at a flea market for $5.00, I felt that I owned the two ultimate fountain pens: a senior Big Red Parker Duofold and a Montblanc 149. I decided to stop collecting more fountain pens. Have lied to myself a few more times over the years. Don't know how to turn this photo properly. Sorry. Enjoy the weekend. Barry PS For people who like "Where's Waldo?" there are two non-Duofold writing instruments in the photo.

Wow what a spread! Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is a Parker Duofold Junior Streamline in Mandarin Yellow Permanite c. 1930-1932. According the Shepherd and Zazove Parker Duofold book, in April 1927 George Parker chose this new color he named Imperial Yellow because of what he saw on a Cloisonné vase in Kyoto, Japan. The color is called Mandarin Yellow in the 1930 catalog. This 4 1/2 inch long Junior button filling pen sold for $5.00 in 1930 and the matching pencil was $3.75. The very firm 14 karat gold nib is stamped PARKER over DUOFOLD over MADE IN over U.S.A. and was offered in extra fine, fine, medium, broad, stub and oblique. Initially popular, Mandarin Yellow became the worst selling Duofold color. This example shows typical plating loss on the gold filled trim. Mandarin Yellow pens are subject to cracks in the cap lip and discoloration.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/ParkerDuofoldJuniorMandarin_1280_03.jpg

Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is a Parker Duofold Senior in Mandarin Yellow Permanite c. 1928-29. According the Shepherd and Zazove Parker Duofold book, in April 1927 George Parker chose this new color he named Imperial Yellow because of what he saw on a Cloisonné vase in Kyoto, Japan. The color is called Imperial Mandarin Yellow in the 1929 catalog and eventually Parker settled on the name Mandarin Yellow. This 5 1/2 inch long button filling pen sold for $7.00 in 1929 and the matching pencil was $4.00. The firm 14 karat gold nib was offered in extra fine, fine, medium, broad, stub and oblique. Initially popular, Mandarin Yellow became the worst selling Duofold color. As can be seen in this example, Mandarin Yellow pens are subject to cracks in the cap lip. They are also subject to discoloration. Note typical plating loss.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/ParkerDuofoldMandarin_1280_01.jpg
Thanks!
Edited by PenHero
Minor correction on plating

Hi Jim,

Your mandarin Duofolds are magnificent. So often, there is significant discoloration in that material, as well as so many cracks. Yours are gems. Thanks for the great photos.

Will try again to attach Duofold photo, properly this time. All 12 fingers & toes crossed.

Barry

Edited by Barry Gabay

Hi Jim,

Your mandarin Duofolds are magnificent. So often, there is significant discoloration in that material, as well as so many cracks. Yours are gems. Thanks for the great photos.

Will try again to attach Duofold photo, properly this time. All 12 fingers & toes crossed.

Barry

Hi, Barry,

Thanks - I have a few that a nowhere near perfect also. Nice collection!

The colors are exceptional, Doc, especially your lapis. Thank you for sharing.

These mandarin examples from everyone are driving me back to the hunt. As I gradually sell my collection, I thought my collecting days were done. These photos inspire me to look some more. Thanks for the images.

Hi, Folks!

This is a Parker Duofold Senior Streamline in Burgundy and Black Permanite c. 1931-34. This 5 1/8 inch long button filling pen sold for $7.00 in 1931 and the matching pencil was $4.25. The barrel is stamped GEO. S. PARKER next to PARKER over DUOFOLD next to MADE IN U.S.A. The firm 14 karat gold nib is stamped PARKER over DUOFOLD over MADE IN over U.S.A. Note the number on the nib. Note typical plating loss on the clip ball.
http://penhero.com/Temp/ParkerDuofoldBurgundyBlack_1280_01.jpg

The colors are exceptional, Doc, especially your lapis. Thank you for sharing.

These mandarin examples from everyone are driving me back to the hunt. As I gradually sell my collection, I thought my collecting days were done. These photos inspire me to look some more. Thanks for the images.

Thanks Barry, The Lapis was a great find at a very reasonable price. I am now on the hunt for an all black specimen, the one I thought would be easiest to acquire but which is alluding me so far. Either my expectations are too high, or there has been some sort of dramatic price pressure recently which I am not aware of. Patients will probably be part of the solution as it always seems to be.

I would have posted a pic direct from my Flickr account but I seem to have misplace the magic formula.

PS: Really love the Burgundy/black model.

Edited by DrCodfish

Hi, Folks!

This is a Parker Duofold Senior Streamline in Burgundy and Black Permanite c. 1931-34. This 5 1/16 inch long button filling pen was made in Canada. The barrel is stamped GEO. S. PARKER next to PARKER over DUOFOLD next to MADE IN CANADA. The firm 14 karat gold nib is stamped PARKER over DUOFOLD over PEN over CANADA. Note typical plating loss on the clip ball and cap bands.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/ParkerDuofoldBurgundyBlack_1280_02.jpg
Thanks!