" The Capital" A Mystery Pen

Actor-out-on-loan

Hello FPN folks, and a happy /healthy new year to all.

Need opinions Please.

So I have this pen, that only markings are "THE CAPITAL" no other markings, on barrel, ends, etc. It is a small eyedropper 4" capped. It's has an old Waterman #2 New York nib. That's pretty much all I know for certain. I was thinking early Lambert, but I've not found a Capital, and then add the Waterman nib. Is this some early Frankenpen, or is there more to the story here? Thanks for any input or opinnions

Actor

post-141146-0-88189600-1547649722.jpg

post-141146-0-63022100-1547649710_thumb.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Actor-out-on-loan

• Bo Bo Olson

• Azuniga

• sidthecat

Sorry, can't help.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

It's still early...............what matters is does it write?

Such a nib should not be smoothed.....if so only with after through examination with lapping film.

Tipping was perfected in WW2.

Old nibs 30's and before nibs are often lumpy, and chunky and chunks can fall out.

Someone in Spain re-tips for @ E-80. It could be the guy in the States has stopped tipping.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Greg Minuskin has re-tipped a couple of pens for me. He's not cheap but he's fast. If you can get your hands on a 10x loupe or so, see if you can tell what's up with the tipping. If memory serves, Waterman used Fairchild's technology to weld their tips.

The god news is this pen writes like a dream. Very much like one of my older 52V's with a similar nib. The question remains, who made this pen, can't find cohesive info anywhere .

Thanks for the images...

I do not see why Franken pen, even if the Waterman nib does not belong to it. For the time being is an important part...

I will keep my eyes open since I love those unknown brands and I am always searching for information...

I've noticed, Azuniga has a lot of knowledge and a good selection of old lesser known pretty pens.

A nib was only good for @ 7 years before it wore out....and that was '30-70's pens....older nibs due to how poorly they were tipped**....(tipping perfected in WW2), that nib replacement was normal.....and once there was the fabled Corner Pen Shoppe....all over the place with trained personnel.

No one worried about Franki pens....and Waterman was a top name in pens and nibs....so it's not a down grade.

** Tipping was rather lumpy, and chunks fell out.

Now more to the mystery. Under a loop, I found the faintest marking on the cap. I can only describe it as a hand pointing to the right, with perhaps the word screw. I did this by gently touching it with a white china marker. than wiping it off immediately. sorry for the bad photo, best i could do with my phone.

post-141146-0-92912100-1547825509.jpg

There was a major maker that (early on) used the hand icon indicating the way to remove the cap. I can't recall if it was Sheaffer or Conklin perhaps?

greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

Conklin did it.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

So, we have an old Waterman's #2 New York nib (perhaps a replacement somewhere along the line), The only readable imprint is "The Capital" . It is an eyedropper, and the hand icon they may be Conklin,...All the input has been fascinating. Would it be fair for me to speculate early 1920's?

Well thanks for pointing me in the right direction, found this, though you can barely see it, the markings are the same. so My guess is a sub-brand. The pen pictured here is circa 1908 ->

.post-141146-0-33696800-1548173968.jpg

Conklin was the first to have a sac pen, you stuck a dime into it to get to fill. Then came their half moon....don't know if that came in before the Sheaffer lever in 1912. I would guess it was before the Sheaffer lever.

• 2 weeks later...

I still wonder if this was a transition pen of some sort, there was the period when Waterman took over Lambert correct? Lambert having a "Capitol" as well. Now the Conklin theory is also intriguing. Thanks again all for the input.