• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• penzel_washinkton

• Intensity

• Arcadian

• vojtahlad

Wow!Makes me wonder..to buy or not to buy.

Is there a significant difference to November Rain? I already have that and it doesn't make sense to buy a closely similar ink

YOWSA!

I saw those first pix and thought "Doesn't he mean a magenta ink with green sheen?" I'll admit that I'd have wanted it just for the name to give to my brother (who is not remotely, in any way shape or form, a "pen" guy -- he just used to be a huge fan of of the group Deep Purple... ;)).

Me? I don't even like the underlying color particularly. But that sheen.... :puddle:

Why oh why is Diamine doing this to me? First the "Guitar" inks, and now this.... Why are these only for the German market? :wallbash:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Why are these only for the German market? :wallbash:

So far I know these German exclusives are initiated and organised by some German Diamine retailer. Considering the less than 5 Euro worldwide shipping provided by Fountainfeder, there is no reason to complain.

Looks like Organics Studio Walden Pond Blue. Also similar to 3 Oysters Marine Green:

https://www.wellappointeddesk.com/2018/12/inkmas-day-4-3-oysters-marine-green/

https://www.reddit.com/r/fountainpens/comments/a2cwmk/benu_hexagond_with_3_oysters_marine_green_npd_nid/

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

So far I know these German exclusives are initiated and organised by some German Diamine retailer. Considering the less than 5 Euro worldwide shipping provided by Fountainfeder, there is no reason to complain.

Thanks!!!

I was just wondering if someone could recommend a reputable German pen shop with them and you beat me to it with a good recommendation. And they even have an English site.

Thanks!!!

I was just wondering if someone could recommend a reputable German pen shop with them and you beat me to it with a good recommendation. And they even have an English site.

You are welcome. Another German shop with affordable shipping is Seitz-Kreuznach but they do not have these new exclusives on stock yet. (And I do not have personal experience, I am just planning to purchase some inks there.)

YOWSA!

I saw those first pix and thought "Doesn't he mean a magenta ink with green sheen?" I'll admit that I'd have wanted it just for the name to give to my brother (who is not remotely, in any way shape or form, a "pen" guy -- he just used to be a huge fan of of the group Deep Purple... ;)).

Me? I don't even like the underlying color particularly. But that sheen.... :puddle:

Why oh why is Diamine doing this to me? First the "Guitar" inks, and now this.... Why are these only for the German market? :wallbash:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Gotta hope they sell in CH too.

Snatched this and Purple Rain as soon as possible.

Sheen monsters with good base color, what's not to like?

Haven't seen other reviews yet, but the ink has not arrived in the shops yet.Papierundstift says it is due to arrive January 25th.

I am waiting too for "normal condition" reviews.

By the way, seitz kreuznach is a very good shop. I have ordered there several times. My favourite ink shop.Going to wait until they have that ink. or going to order it with the new M1005 Stresemann ......

I am a shopping victim with Stresemanns...

Edited by sanphoemo

Here are some writing samples. I would call this ink very dark teal with a strong reddish sheen. The flow is great, cleaning requires more effort due to the extraordinary saturation. Readability is perfect even for the EF nib. The ink does not shade.

The closest one from my inks is the Henry David Thoreau Walden Pond from Organics Studio. Walden is even a bit darker and it also sheens much more than Smoke on the Water. November Rain (another German exclusive ink) is also a bit similar but it is dark green, not teal.

Click the thumbnails to enlarge.

diamine-smoke-on-the-water-001.jpg diamine-smoke-on-the-water-002.jpg diamine-smoke-on-the-water-003.jpg diamine-smoke-on-the-water-004.jpg diamine-smoke-on-the-water-005.jpg diamine-smoke-on-the-water-006.jpg diamine-smoke-on-the-water-007.jpg

On the Kaufland Collegeblock - a cheap sheen-friendly paper:

diamine-smoke-on-the-water-008.jpg diamine-smoke-on-the-water-009.jpg diamine-smoke-on-the-water-010.jpg diamine-smoke-on-the-water-011.jpg diamine-smoke-on-the-water-012.jpg

On the Tomoe River paper:

diamine-smoke-on-the-water-013.jpg diamine-smoke-on-the-water-014.jpg diamine-smoke-on-the-water-015.jpg diamine-smoke-on-the-water-016.jpg diamine-smoke-on-the-water-017.jpg

I've been wanting the OS Walden Pond for quite a while but has been put off by the shipping costs and issues of smudging.

If the reports are true then the SoW will be perfect for me although with a lesser sheen.

I wonder if a diluted OS Walden Pond will more or less equal Diamine's Smoke on the Water. OS Walden Pond is hyper saturated (but also on the great plus side has the most incredible amount of lubrication that will make even a scratchy nib seem relatively smooth). Given the difference in darkness and sheen, it seems like it might be possible to kind of convert Walden Pond Blue into Smoke on the Water with dilution, or vice versa with drying out and concentrating Smoke on the Water.

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Wow! What sheen! Great review. Thank you for taking the time.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

I wonder if a diluted OS Walden Pond will more or less equal Diamine's Smoke on the Water. OS Walden Pond is hyper saturated (but also on the great plus side has the most incredible amount of lubrication that will make even a scratchy nib seem relatively smooth). Given the difference in darkness and sheen, it seems like it might be possible to kind of convert Walden Pond Blue into Smoke on the Water with dilution, or vice versa with drying out and concentrating Smoke on the Water.

Actually, I've read somewhere that the recommended use of the OS Walden Pond is to dilute it. I believe a mixture of 20-80 water to ink ratio is still recommended but don't quote me on that