Why Do All My Expensive Pens Dry Out, And The Cheapest One Writes Immediately

JazzRon

I haven't been on this site for a long time, but I've got a question that only can be answered by this knowledgeable group. I have about 15 or so very nice pens, several Pelikans, Parker, Aurora, etc.... and I carry them with me in pen cases in my backpack each day. Almost every one of them gives me the same result--- i take it out to start writing, and it's scratchy, dry, or some combination of both and is just aggravating to use.

On the other hand, this little Kaweco sport pen, about $25 bucks that was actually tossed in with another Kaweco pen (much more expensive) works perfectly EACH time, right out of the pen case. Smooth, easy and satisfying. What am I doing wrong with the topshelf pens?

All answers sincerely appreciated. thanks.

Ron Sanfield

Andover, MA

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sirgilbert357

• Bo Bo Olson

• JazzRon

• TheDutchGuy

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange my Pelikan, Aurora, Visconti, Montblanc, and other more expensive pen don't have issues with drying out. Some of those expensive pens can sit for months and be wet and ready to write on first touch on paper for me. I know that doesn't help you, but it's my experience.

Also some pens like being stored on their side and others don't care if they are vertical. Your backpack carry might be why you have a difference experience than me.

How many ml of ink from all your pens do you write/draw through in a week?

What pens do you use most?

The ink in pens evaporates over time. Some pen caps seal better, slowing the closed dry-out time. Some nibs/feeds are wetter, slowing the open dry-out time.
What is each pen?
How long does each pen's fill last? How long does each pen sit between writing sessions?

Inks can be a factor. Some pens won't write with drier inks. What ink is in each pen?

Climate can be a factor. Is it humid or dry where you live. Are you taking the pens from the outside into a dry climate-controlled building?

Well I often have 17 pens inked....and if not used regularly, will need to be dipped into the damp sponge in the rubber stamp cup or a 1/4th filled shot glass.

How many pens do you carry that you use every other day? Those used every day should work well.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Cheap pens have one purpose: to write. If they don't do that well, into the garbage they go and the user moves on to another brand. The pen manufacturer knows they are intended to be used and not babied, and designs them accordingly.

Expensive pens also need to write, but they have other purposes as well: to be beautiful, or to write in a particular way, or to highlight certain materials or design elements, to have an interesting nib or an exotic feed mechanism, or some other factor besides the basic function of putting a line of ink on paper. Often, they are designed as fine instruments more than writing tools, so they may need more care and attention than a pen designed just to write and nothing else.

The Kwaeco is not particularly cheap and as you have discovered has a reputation as a bulletproof writer and functional superstar. If you want a really cheap pen that never fails try a Platinum Preppy on for size! But not all cheap pens are reliable writers, you just hit on a good one. And since you mentioned the Pelikan, I find those to be particularly reliable writers, so I am not sure the pen is to blame entirely. The ink used has a lot to do with it as well.

I haven't been on this site for a long time, but I've got a question that only can be answered by this knowledgeable group. I have about 15 or so very nice pens, several Pelikans, Parker, Aurora, etc.... and I carry them with me in pen cases in my backpack each day. Almost every one of them gives me the same result--- i take it out to start writing, and it's scratchy, dry, or some combination of both and is just aggravating to use.

Sounds like you've had some really bad luck! I don't expect much from a modern Parker; my own experiences have been disappointing. I don't know much about Aurora, but I understand that Italian pens don't always have the best quality control. I DO expect a Pelikan to be reliable though; at least the slightly more expensive models. Perhaps you just have a lemon?

I also have a lit of trouble with pens drying out. I refuse to use a pen that can't go at least a week unused nib-up without starting up easily afterwards. Which is why I have a lot of respect for Platinum: they go out of their way to make their pens resistant to drying (they advertise a "slip and seal" inner cap on several of tgeir pen models). Pick up a Platinum Preppy, Plaisir or 3776 Century for a relaible pen - and send it back if it isn't.

In fact my general impression is that Japanese pens are probably the most reliable in general. Even the very cheapest models, like the Preppy and Varsity, have good reputations. American-made pens like Karas and vintage Sheaffers and Parkers seem to be good if you get them unused (New Old Stock) - modern Sheaffers and Parkers are not made in the US anymore amd are not as reliable. Pelikan, Faber Castell, and some other German brands are also spoken of highly when it comes to the quality and reliability of their current pens.

Not all cheap pens will be as good as your Kaweco, not even other Kawecos.

Not all expensive pens will have the same problem.

Pens have a break-in period, which can be long or short, depending on many factors. A cheap Preppy with the included Platinum ink cartridge is almost guaranteed to write straight away: the properties of the ink are matched to those of the pen, the pen has quite a large feed, etc. The result is no noticeable break-in period. But if you compare the feel of a Preppy (as good as it may be, and personally I love them) to that of, for example, a Visconti Homo Sapiens with 23k Dreamtouch nib, then the difference in refinement will be clear. People will buy that Visconti, throw whatever ink in it that they fancy and expect it to be spectacularly good from the first second. Not an unfair expectation given its price, but the price of that Visconti is also going into amazing design and amazing materials, while the Preppy is a plastic tube with a feed in it.

Try transporting your pens nib-down. It might help.

Very odd about the Pelikans. What does happen to me is I sometimes forget to screw the caps all the way in.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

I think it's personal. The pen's don't like you. This makes me sad. I do so want them to be happy. I'd be delighted to offer them a loving home. I'll keep them well fed and take them for regular walkies. :D

Add lightness and simplicate.

I have literally never had any of my Pelikans dry out or fail to write upon uncapping. They are also almost never described as dry writers, as a rule, and tend to write fairly wet in my experience (sample of less than 10 total, though). I will say that I always store every pen on its side and that might make a difference. Even in my backpack, they go into a case and are carried horizontally in a pocket that ensures they stay in that position.

What kind of inks are you using? How are you storing them and transporting them? How fast are you going through a fill in any given pen? How often are you flushing them out?

Lots of factors can contribute to the issues you are having. Maybe we can help if we have a bit more info...

I think it's personal. The pen's don't like you. This makes me sad. I do so want them to be happy. I'd be delighted to offer them a loving home. I'll keep them well fed and take them for regular walkies. :D

:lol:

Pens have a break-in period, which can be long or short, depending on many factors.

I saw an interesting post somewhere on FPN about how brand new pens need time for their feeds to "season". Much like you have to season a cast iron skillet for it to be a reliable performer, you kind of need to give your pen some time for the feed to season as well. Not sure how well that idea would stand up to scientific analysis, but you don't have to search far to find posts recommending a flush with a combo of ammonia and dish soap to clear residues from a new pen. Maybe the flushing is step one and filling a pen and letting it sit with a feed full of ink is step two.

I can't say I've noticed this "seasoning" issue with any of my brand new pens. Most times I don't even flush them out. I usually remove them from the box and give them a good inspection and function test any part that moves (piston, converter, screw all the pieces apart and back together, check cap seal) and if it all looks fine, I just dunk it in an ink bottle and start writing with it...lol.

Edited by sirgilbert357

:headsmack: :doh: Forgot all about the ink maker's pens....which are designed to work with it's inks. A Pelikan is a dry ink, so they made a wet nib for it. Waterman has a wet ink, so a thinner nib....and both are matching the feed to their very own inks.

One of the reasons besides selling you their ink MB recommends it's own MB ink for it's pens. The nib and feed are designed for that ink.

Sometimes a pen just needs a bit of help especially like with me a pen sits for ever in a pen cup. Rubber postal sponge cup, shot glass.

Could be you are carrying too many pens for daily use.

There will always be one or two pens that can sit forever and go...........some need to be stored nib up, others laying horizontal. There will always those who need to be used frequently.

One must think.........once a man only had one fountain pen :yikes: ....and he used it daily for 7-10 years until the nib wore out and he bought another.............worked every day, was used every day.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I saw an interesting post somewhere on FPN about how brand new pens need time for their feeds to "season". Much like you have to season a cast iron skillet for it to be a reliable performer, you kind of need to give your pen some time for the feed to season as well. Not sure how well that idea would stand up to scientific analysis...

I think it would. The performance of a fountain pen hinges on capillary force, which in turn hinges on surface tension phenomena between the ink and the walls of the reservoir, the ink and the feed and the ink and the nib. FPN is riddled with topics about converters hanging on to ink, which illustrates the point. The walls of the converter sometimes attract the ink more than gravity and capillary force can overcome. Switching to the feed, this collection of fins needs to be able to store sufficient ink to balance fluctuations in flow from the nib. The number of fins, their proximity, their size, the material they're made of (some swear by ebonite)... it's a complex equation. I've had good results with some new dry-ish pens by putting the cleaned and flushed feed in the ink bottle overnight, especially when the ink is a different brand than the pen. But some pens just don't get along with some inks, no matter what I try. It's a very complex relationship between ink and feed that essentially boils down to electrostatic molecular interactions. In terms of composition and pH, inks are all over the place so it's really not strange that some combinations work and some don't.

My Pilot Custom 823 was hard starting on it's first use each day. Then I tried tightening the cap more by screwing it closed more than usual. No more hard starts anymore.

Take a look at the capping mechanism of each pen and see if something similar might be the issue.

Edited by putteringpenman

Currently inked:

- Pilot Custom 743 <M> with Pilot Black

- Pelikan M120 Iconic Blue <B> with Pilot Blue

- Lamy Studio All Black <M> with Pilot Blue-Black

YouTube fountain pen reviews: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2qU4nlAfdZpQrSakktBMGg/videos

In general, my Preppies rarely fail to write, however, I have noticed that they behave better with certain inks than others. This is also true of the few (relatively) expensive pens I own. It took me awhile to figure it all out. I tend to have more problems in the dry season when humidity drops to 10% or lower and you can literally see water evaporate.

On the other hand, this little Kaweco sport pen, about $25 bucks that was actually tossed in with another Kaweco pen (much more expensive) works perfectly EACH time, right out of the pen case. Smooth, easy and satisfying. What am I doing wrong with the topshelf pens?

All answers sincerely appreciated. thanks.

Ron Sanfield

Andover, MA

Obviously, you know what you've seen with your own pens, but I doubt that it's typical. My experience with modern Pelikans is limited to an M205, which has never become a favorite, but had no problems with starting up right away and was smooth enough, last time I tried it. My first FP was a Parker IM, and it did have horrible drying up issues, due to an imperfectly sealing cap, but that's one of their low end models, same price range as the Kaweco Sport. I've never tried an Aurora, so can't comment.

But as far as "etc" goes, I've never had a problem with Pilots. My favorite modern pens are in their middle range where they put on nice gold nibs but the bodies are still fairly plain, pens like the Custom, Custom Heritage, or Falcon models. I use these as everyday pens (right now it's a Falcon, along with some vintage pens), and have never had a problem either with writing quality or reliability. I do have a Kaweco Sport and a couple of other inexpensive workhorse pens like the Lamy Safari, but I never feel like using them anymore.

It is a bit puzzling why you've had so many bad results with good brands. Every now and then someone will complain about a single expensive pen writing poorly, but out of 15 pens, I'd expect you to have at least a couple of reliable ones. Maybe just start troubleshooting the pens one at a time rather than looking for a common factor. If any were purchased recently enough, consult with the seller or the maker about the problems you've had and see what is under warranty. Good luck!

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

I wish to thank each of you for your excellent answers. This is like a graduate school seminar in pens. In fact, the knowledge, wit and writing ability here exceed the seminars that I recall from grad school. I have learned a great deal here about the technical aspect of pens as well as aesthetic appreciation. I will review several times and print out all of these responses. Thank you.

Ron Sanfield

Andover, MA