Stipula Etruria – Conid Regular Bulkfiller Comparison

Stipulation

Hello everyone,

I'm currently searching for a "grail pen", a life-long writing companion that I will use daily. It's been quite some time now (and this forum has been a great help! :) ), and I've come down to mainly consider two pens: the Conid Regular and the Stipula Etruria Gallicana ("Terra di Siena" version). (It's a pretty rare pen (193 copies) so here is a link to an online retailer, with a picture https://www.lestylographe.com/stipula/2805-stylo-plume-gallicana-terre-de-sienne.html). However I can't seem to be able to make a decision between the two. :unsure:

Here are the main characteristics I'm looking for, and how I think these two pens fulfill them respectively. There's a tl;dr for each aspect. ;)

- durability and overall build quality: one of the main thing that drew me towards the Conid. It seems incredibly durable, as well as easy to maintain. Moreover, Conid has a very good Customer service. Since the pen is incredibly resistant, I would feel more secure carrying it everywhere.The Stipula is a very costly pen, and the reviews for the other, less expensive, Etruria pens are positive regarding build quality. I have therefore no doubt that this one is also well made. However, I understand that the company has known some turmoil in recent years, resulting in a reduced team of employees and a very slow Customer service. I'm also worried that these difficulties could end up with the company closing. Besides, the pen is made of celluloid and is of course not as resistant as the Conid. I'm also worried about the durability of the piston. I couldn't find the material it was made of, but it's no doubt less durable than the Bulkfiller.

tl;dr: Clearly, the Conid seems more reliable and durable.

- design and esthetics: the incredible engineering and the clean design of the Conid makes it a quite attractive pen in my eyes. I really like the fact that one can engrave the clip. The Stipula is really beautiful, without being catchy. The symbolic appeal to me: the logo is a reference to the roman habit of splitting a wheat cob in half when sealing a contract, they dubbed the color "Terra di Siena", Siena being a town I love, etc.

tl;dr: The Stipula is much more appealing esthetically.

- comfort (the section in particular, which I often find to be too short on high-end pens): I was lucky enough to (briefly) try out the Stipula, and was really impressed by the great sensation of comfort I experienced when taking the pen. The section is incredibly comfortable, the pen isn't too heavy, the balance is very good. I didn't have a chance to test the Conid Regular. It's one of the aspects that I worry about, as I won't be able to try it out before ordering. However, I have noticed that the section is tapered in a similar way to that of the Etruria. Besides, the dimensions seem to match pretty closely. I don't have the exact dimensions of the Gallicana, but the other Etruria models are very close to the Conid Regular regarding the section width and the weight and lenght of the pen.

tl;dr: On this aspect, I lean towards the Stipula since I could try it and was much impressed. However I think the Conid is probably very comfortable as well.

- springiness of the nib (not a fan of nails): again, I was very much impressed with the Gallicana Sti-Flex nib. It's a one-size gold nib with quite some flex, very springy. To me, it's an amazing nib, very pleasant and fun, as well as a good daily writer. Sadly, it's only available on this very expensive limited edition, and not on the other Etruria models. Again, I couldn't try out a Conid nib. I'm interested in the titanium nibs, in the hope of finding a springy, smooth writer. I really like the fact that Conid offers individuel grinding and tuning, but I'm worried about the mixed reviews I read on titanium nibs. They seem to be quite inconsistent in terms of flex/springiness.

tl;dr: I lean slightly towards the Stipula, because I know I love the nib, but with the customization offered by Conid, I have little doubt I would have a great nib as well.

- ease of cleaning and filling-system: I would like to be able to change ink on a regular basis without it being detrimental to the pen, or too long: here, the Conid is a clear winner. That's the second main point I love about this pen. Its filling system is just brilliantly made, and seems very easy to clean, and durable. Besides, it's possible to entirely disassemble the pen. It's downright as perfect as can be on this regard. It's a tricky point of the Stipula. I only know it's a piston-filler, and not much more. I don't know the material the piston is made of (given the weight, I'd say plastic?), wether one can remove the nib unit, wether the piston operates smoothly etc. So I don't really know if the pen is suitable for regularly switching inks, rather I fear it's not.

tl;dr : Conid is perfect. I fear the Stipula isn't made for that kind of use.

Finally, the Conid is less expensive: ~ 550 euros vs. 700-800 euros.

I would be really interested in any advice or thought you may have regarding either of these two pens or the expectations I exposed here! :)

Edited by Stipulation

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stipulation

• dms525

• zaddick

• dapprman

The Conid can live a much tougher life for much longer, on average. But you should buy what your heart desires as that is what will ultimately make you happy. These pens are different enough that I think if you really check your feelings, you will know what to buy. The rest of us will just give advice based on our experiences, our biases, and in some cases just hearsay.

Edited by zaddick

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

You need to add the nib price to your Conid quote as that's not included on the front page quote.

It really is a head over heart question so I fear to add much more than the above. But then what do I know, I ran an Alfa Romeo for 4 years. Some people would say I was very brave :)

I didn't catch which Conid model you are considering.

I have a Conid Minimalistica and have a Regular on order. I have many Stipula pens (>10). Most are Etrurias. I am very fond of both, but if I were forced to choose one as an everyday, "workhorse" pen, it would be the Conid. If you want a springy nib, the Titanium nib that is a Conid option is a good choice.

But, that's my choice based on the hypothetical question. I don't like having to make such choices. I would choose both. As has been said, they are very different pens. If it helps, I seldom carry my Etrurias away from home, but I usually have at least one inked and enjoy writing with them at home. FWIW, my most common EDCs are Pelikan M620's (City Series).

In summary, what Zaddick said.

David

The Conid can live a much tougher life for much longer, on average. But you should buy what your heart desires as that is what will ultimately make you happy. These pens are different enough that I think if you really check your feelings, you will know what to buy. The rest of us will just give advice based on our experiences, our biases, and in some cases just hearsay.

That's true but I have trouble knowing what I actually want. I was hoping someone might bring more info regarding one of the needs I mentioned. But you're right in the sense that the ultimate decision is mine and will be mostly based on feelings rather than logic, I'm afraid. :lol:

You need to add the nib price to your Conid quote as that's not included on the front page quote.

It really is a head over heart question so I fear to add much more than the above. But then what do I know, I ran an Alfa Romeo for 4 years. Some people would say I was very brave :)

I know, I did include the price of the nib : the basic Regular with delrin cap is 388 euros, + a titanium nib with grinding : 90 euros, + tools and engraving, that's ~ 520 euros. :) But now that you mention it, the price on the front page with the different versions (ebonite cap vs. full demonstrator etc) doesn't match the price indicated when I actually click on each version (it's more expensive on the front page than on each version's page). I wonder if it has to do with the fact that I currently live in Switzerland, meaning I wouldn't have to pay VAT? Anyway, perhaps the pen is more around 600 euros.

What's wrong with Alfa Romeo? :lol:

I didn't catch which Conid model you are considering.

I have a Conid Minimalistica and have a Regular on order. I have many Stipula pens (>10). Most are Etrurias. I am very fond of both, but if I were forced to choose one as an everyday, "workhorse" pen, it would be the Conid. If you want a springy nib, the Titanium nib that is a Conid option is a good choice.

But, that's my choice based on the hypothetical question. I don't like having to make such choices. I would choose both. As has been said, they are very different pens. If it helps, I seldom carry my Etrurias away from home, but I usually have at least one inked and enjoy writing with them at home. FWIW, my most common EDCs are Pelikan M620's (City Series).

In summary, what Zaddick said.

David

I would probably order the Regular, although I'm also considering the Slimline. From what I can gather, I think the Regular wouldn't be too far from an Etruria regarding overall feeling in the hand? The grip is similar (tapered and of similar width), the weight and lenght as well.

Do you have the Sti-flex nib on one of your Etruria? If so, would you say the Bock titanium nib comes close?

I would chose both as well if I could, but I can only afford one high-end pen at the moment. :blush: Besides, I don't really want to get into collecting pens. I fear how deep I might go down this rabbit hole :lol: I like the idea of having one good pen that I use for almost everything.

Thank you all for your answers, it really helps :D

Most of us would just say get both and get the one that will be harder to find first.

In the spirit of helping, I'll share some more of my personal opinion. I find the stock Conid pens to be a little sterile. They are engineering marvels with top notch fit and finish, but they lack exciting materials and aesthetics. There are some exceptions, but standard pens do not excite me like an exotic celluloid. I am not enthralled with Stipula pens although hey seem to have decent ergonomics and some nice materials. I don't like most of the clips and trim rings so I don't really shop for their pens. If I was going to tell you what to buy based on what you shared, I'd say Conid.

Most of us would just say get both and get the one that will be harder to find first.

Actually most of us would keep quiet and then buy both :D

Actually most of us would keep quiet and then buy both :D

And get them delivered to the office... 😂

I would probably order the Regular, although I'm also considering the Slimline. From what I can gather, I think the Regular wouldn't be too far from an Etruria regarding overall feeling in the hand? The grip is similar (tapered and of similar width), the weight and lenght as well.

Do you have the Sti-flex nib on one of your Etruria? If so, would you say the Bock titanium nib comes close?

I don't have and have never used a Stipula titanium nib. I think they were the first to feature them, though.

As it happens, I do have an Etruria with the Sti-flex nib. It is on one of the special editions made for Stilographcorsani in Rome. (BTW, these are much more reasonably priced than the one you are considering, and Stefano Consani provides excellent service. No affiliation, etc.) The Sti-flex nib I got is an italic. It was wider than I prefer, and it had some minor skipping. I got it back from my nibmeister last week, and it now writes wonderfully well.

It is not really a very flexible nib. It just has a nice spring. It is significantly stiffer than the Conid Ti nib. I like them both a lot. I have some other information to offer but will do so in your other Stipula topic.

David

Edited by dms525

I don't have and have never used a Stipula titanium nib. I think they were the first to feature them, though.

As it happens, I do have an Etruria with the Sti-flex nib. It is on one of the special editions made for Stilographcorsani in Rome. (BTW, these are much more reasonably priced than the one you are considering, and Stefano Consani provides excellent service. No affiliation, etc.) The Sti-flex nib I got is an italic. It was wider than I prefer, and it had some minor skipping. I got it back from my nibmeister last week, and it now writes wonderfully well.

It is not really a very flexible nib. It just has a nice spring. It is significantly stiffer than the Conid Ti nib. I like them both a lot. I have some other information to offer but will do so in your other Stipula topic.

David

Thanks a lot! I looked up the Corsani Etruria edition, but I must say I'm not a fan of the designs and ebonite-style.

But I have actually decided to follow the wise advice you all gave me, i.e.: GET BOTH :P It's a long story but I will need a second pen eventually. Well, at least I have some kind of valide excuse. :rolleyes: So I will first get the Stipula, which will get harder and harder to find, and next year or perhaps a bit later, I will order a Conid. Perhaps they will release new models in the future, as well.

Thanks a lot for your help, your really helped me to see things more clearly! :D

Thanks a lot! I looked up the Corsani Etruria edition, but I must say I'm not a fan of the designs and ebonite-style.

But I have actually decided to follow the wise advice you all gave me, i.e.: GET BOTH :P It's a long story but I will need a second pen eventually. Well, at least I have some kind of valide excuse. :rolleyes: So I will first get the Stipula, which will get harder and harder to find, and next year or perhaps a bit later, I will order a Conid. Perhaps they will release new models in the future, as well.

Thanks a lot for your help, your really helped me to see things more clearly! :D

You made a good choice - In the best FPN tradition. :lticaptd:

Seriously, the Stipula Etruria and Conid while very, very different from each other, but both are excellent pens. Each has its strengths and weaknesses. I know I tend to see the Conid as a workhorse and an engineering marvel. The Etrurias are ... well, Italian. One can forgive their occasional nib QA problems, because they are so beautiful and enjoyable to write with. And when the nibs are well-tuned, they are among the best.

I look forward to your reviews of the pens you get. I'm glad I could be of some help.

Happy writing!

David

I would go for the Stipula because I really really like celluloid. If you haven't seen the celluloids in real life, you're in for a treat. The material is encredibly soft and lovely to touch, changes colour slightly depending on how the light catches the celluloid flakes...

Celluloid is getting rarer and rarer and is far more unique. It's concaved section and all makes the me want to choose the Stipula any time.

Also I like the classy-ness of the Stipula over the industrial look of the Conid.

Edit: just read that you picked the Stipula. Awesome, please share pictures! :)

Edited by RubenDh