Meet The Parkette Deluxe That Defies All My Research!

eharriett

To let you know how little I thought of this pen, I got it a couple months ago, and it has been sitting disassembled on my bathroom sink since last night, untouched. It is a Parker Parkette Deluxe ringtop. Slim. Heard of them, knew they were the lower end pen. Thought, "meh, price was right." Was going to get around to it eventually.

lXFXlza.jpg

So last night, I decided was the night. I had to knock out the nib, unfortunately, because the feed was piched up higher than the nib, so I did that. Then from the look of it, I thought it might take something smaller than a size 16 sac, so I did a little research. And that's where the fun begins.

I can find no record of a pen like like this. It is definitely a Parkette Deluxe. Says so on the pen.

fjBRtpR.jpg

However, nothing else matches. I looked all over Google and the boards. Went to Richard Binder's site. Nothing about a Ringtop model. Then David Nishimura's Site. Read the whole research dissertation on the Parkette. I now know more about the Parkette than I ever thought I would. But this type of pen does not exist in his research or his pics. And while there were lever fillers like this one clearly is, none of a similar model were in his pics or his mentionings.

Came next, of course, to FPN. There was actually another member who inquired about this very pen back in 2012, but no one answered (I wonder if it is the same pen? I may reach out). Searching showed these nibs were not gold. But ......

hUTUEHK.jpg

So, I have a WTH Parker pen, here. Any ideas? I think I need a smaller sac than I've got for it, but it cleaned up nicely.

VR9fwlX.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FarmBoy

• eharriett

• robert1962

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you are missing three cap bands.

I seem to recall a lively discussion of a pen of this exact configuration culminating in Saul Kitchener producing the pens and a Parker sales brochure confirming the pen should exist.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Yeah. I forgot to mention that about the three cap bands. You’re right. Maybe one day I’ll see about getting them replaced. Next Ohio Pen Show’s parts table, maybe.

I haven’t found that discussion on FPN yet, if that is where the discussion took place. But that’s what I mean, the pen is here, in my house, but I can’t seem to find any reference to it existing. It is both fascinating and fun. This is one of those really cool things about finding old fountain pens. I stumbled onto a stumper :D

Yeah. I forgot to mention that about the three cap bands. You’re right. Maybe one day I’ll see about getting them replaced. Next Ohio Pen Show’s parts table, maybe.

I haven’t found that discussion on FPN yet, if that is where the discussion took place. But that’s what I mean, the pen is here, in my house, but I can’t seem to find any reference to it existing. It is both fascinating and fun. This is one of those really cool things about finding old fountain pens. I stumbled onto a stumper :D

Most likely the conversation to which I refer happened at a club meeting, a show, or some place but it would have been in person.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

• 2 weeks later...

Found a few of his sisters tonight for you.

fpn_1548308612__parker_ringtops.jpg

Wow!

Ok, this isn’t quite a prototype. But I’m surprised there’s so little info out there on it. Especially since there’s dissertations about the parkette line out there

That green one would look really nice with my red one. :D

• 3 years later...

Pretty late to the party, but here goes.

The pens Farmboy shows are Parkers (Premier/Thrift Tme whatever models), not Parkettes. Smooth barrel, button fillers with Parker nibs. With a clip held on with the top "jewel", they would be pretty easy fantasy pieces to make. Your pen with no indication of the Staple on clip should verify that you have something factory made. Your pen is still the only ringtop Pqrkette that I have seen, Deluxe or otherwise. Great Pen!

Bob

Shouldn't phonics be spelled with an f?