The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Meet The Parkette Deluxe That Defies All My Research!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 eharriett

eharriett

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2019 - 01:27

To let you know how little I thought of this pen, I got it a couple months ago, and it has been sitting disassembled on my bathroom sink since last night, untouched.  It is a Parker Parkette Deluxe ringtop.  Slim.  Heard of them, knew they were the lower end pen.  Thought, "meh, price was right."  Was going to get around to it eventually.

lXFXlza.jpg

So last night, I decided was the night.  I had to knock out the nib, unfortunately, because the feed was piched up higher than the nib, so I did that.  Then from the look of it, I thought it might take something smaller than a size 16 sac, so I did a little research.  And that's where the fun begins. 

I can find no record of a pen like like this.  It is definitely a Parkette Deluxe.  Says so on the pen.

fjBRtpR.jpg

However, nothing else matches.  I looked all over Google and the boards.  Went to Richard Binder's site.  Nothing about a Ringtop model.  Then David Nishimura's Site.  Read the whole research dissertation on the Parkette.  I now know more about the Parkette than I ever thought I would.  But this type of pen does not exist in his research or his pics.  And while there were lever fillers like this one clearly is, none of a similar model were in his pics or his mentionings.

Came next, of course, to FPN.  There was actually another member who inquired about this very pen back in 2012, but no one answered (I wonder if it is the same pen? I may reach out).  Searching showed these nibs were not gold.  But ......

hUTUEHK.jpg

So, I have a WTH Parker pen, here.  Any ideas?  I think I need a smaller sac than I've got for it, but it cleaned up nicely.

VR9fwlX.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,815 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 05:30

I think you are missing three cap bands.

I seem to recall a lively discussion of a pen of this exact configuration culminating in Saul Kitchener producing the pens and a Parker sales brochure confirming the pen should exist.

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#3 eharriett

eharriett

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,352 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2019 - 06:45

Yeah. I forgot to mention that about the three cap bands. You’re right. Maybe one day I’ll see about getting them replaced. Next Ohio Pen Show’s parts table, maybe.

I haven’t found that discussion on FPN yet, if that is where the discussion took place. But that’s what I mean, the pen is here, in my house, but I can’t seem to find any reference to it existing. It is both fascinating and fun. This is one of those really cool things about finding old fountain pens. I stumbled onto a stumper :D

#4 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

• Member - Gold

• 9,815 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 06:53

Yeah. I forgot to mention that about the three cap bands. You’re right. Maybe one day I’ll see about getting them replaced. Next Ohio Pen Show’s parts table, maybe.

I haven’t found that discussion on FPN yet, if that is where the discussion took place. But that’s what I mean, the pen is here, in my house, but I can’t seem to find any reference to it existing. It is both fascinating and fun. This is one of those really cool things about finding old fountain pens. I stumbled onto a stumper :D

Most likely the conversation to which I refer happened at a club meeting, a show, or some place but it would have been in person.

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#5 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

• Member - Gold

• 9,815 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 05:44

Found a few of his sisters tonight for you.

fpn_1548308612__parker_ringtops.jpg

#6 eharriett

eharriett

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,352 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 January 2019 - 05:54

Wow!

Ok, this isn’t quite a prototype. But I’m surprised there’s so little info out there on it. Especially since there’s dissertations about the parkette line out there

That green one would look really nice with my red one. :D

Sponsored Content

|