The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Help Identifying An Eversharp Skyline Pencil

eversharp

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 serlingfan

serlingfan

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2019 - 23:00

Hello,

First time posting here, and hoping the experts can help.  I received a pen that previously belonged to my grandfather.  The clip reads Eversharp and Skyline is printed along the barrel.  It also reads 14k solid gold.  I've been told that it was once part of a set that included a fountain pen, but unfortunately the pen has been lost.  The barrel is perfectly smooth with no ornamentation of any kind.  Any ideas on the age?  Also, I've tried to find refill lead here but the largest the chain stores carry is .9mm and it keeps falling out - obviously, I need something larger.  Thanks in advance!

Attached Images

• pencil.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 joss

joss

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2019 - 23:15

This pencil indeed accompanied a 14K solid gold Eversharp Skyline fountain pen, also named the "Command Performance". It dates mid 1940s.

More info here:

http://penhero.com/P...harpSkyline.htm

www.richardspens.com/ref/profiles/skyline.htm

www.vintagepens.com/skyline.shtml

#3 pen lady

pen lady

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,405 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2019 - 06:20

A lot of pencils from the 40's take 1.1 mm leads, you might have to buy from a vintage pen/pencil source though.  Pendemonium comes to mind, no affiliation, but a satisfied customer. Pity about the pen going missing!

#4 serlingfan

serlingfan

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2019 - 14:57

Thank you for the quick response! I’ll try out some 1.1 and see if that does the trick

#5 RoyalBear

RoyalBear

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 January 2019 - 03:03

If you want lead for your pencil go to: https://www.legendaryleadcompany.com/

#6 Greenie

Greenie

Collectors Item

• FPN Mabie Todd Group Moderators

• 1,459 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 January 2019 - 01:20

Retro 51 is a modern pencil and uses 1.1 mm lead.  Just search up Retro 51 pencil lead for 1.1 mm.

(note that I am not sure if you need 1.1 mm lead - just pointing out how to get lead that size)

#7 serlingfan

serlingfan

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2019 - 03:36

Was able to find some 1.1 lead on Amazon, but it's still slipping out of the barrel.  When I push down I can feel the pencil try to advance the lead, but I can't seem to find anything that will fit.  Any other ideas of the correct thickness?

#8 JulieParadise

JulieParadise

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2019 - 09:24

In ye olde days 1.18 mm leads were used, so your 1.1 mm might just be a tad slim, unfortunately.  :mellow:

#9 RoyalBear

RoyalBear

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2019 - 14:20

Again, go to: https://www.legendaryleadcompany.com/ He gives instructions on how to determine what size to use.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eversharp

Sponsored Content

|