The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Different Dip Nib For Copperplate Vs. Spencerian

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ItsMeDave

ItsMeDave

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2019 - 18:02

I am currently using a Brause Blue Pumpkin and a Hunt 22 to practice copperplate, I find the Hunt a little scratchy, so I am mostly using the BP.
I also want to throw in some Spencerian practice and am wondering if another nib would be better suited.

FYI, Im using an oblique nib holder.

Suggestions would be welcome.

Cheers,

David

Sponsored Content

#2 sidthecat

sidthecat

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,593 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2019 - 18:11

You might throw that question to the good folks at The Flourish Forum, where the calligraphy obsessives gather.
Good luck.

#3 ItsMeDave

ItsMeDave

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2019 - 19:47

You might throw that question to the good folks at The Flourish Forum, where the calligraphy obsessives gather.
Good luck.

Thanks, first I’ve heard of this forum.

#4 AAAndrew

AAAndrew

(Not so) Wee Timorous Beastie

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 2,656 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2019 - 01:00

Depending on how,much shading (thick parts) you want to add to your Spencerian. Spencerian has less shading, so a firmer pen can work for most letters. Both of those pens should also work for Spencerian, but it takes more control. If you can get your hands on a vintage Spencerian #1, that works well. It’s more about practice than tools. I’ve seen quite good Spencerian done with a #2 pencil.

Just go for it!

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

#5 stenolearner

stenolearner

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2019 - 23:49

With spencerian I hear the Hunt 101 and Leonhardt Principal mentioned a lot. Does anybody know whether Leonhardt got over the QC issues they had?

#6 ItsMeDave

ItsMeDave

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2019 - 03:43

Depending on how,much shading (thick parts) you want to add to your Spencerian. Spencerian has less shading, so a firmer pen can work for most letters. Both of those pens should also work for Spencerian, but it takes more control. If you can get your hands on a vintage Spencerian #1, that works well. It’s more about practice than tools. I’ve seen quite good Spencerian done with a #2 pencil.

Just go for it!

Seeing as how I’m a complete novice, I’ll leave the search for good quality Spencerian #1’s for later.
I’m going with a Zebra G to start.

#7 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,494 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:36

The zebra G will be smoother and more forgiving than any other dip nib I've ever come across.

the brause rose is a bit of a hard-start pain but it is smooth once it gets going.

The leonardt principal EF will throw down huge shades but it can be toothy.

Honestly, get used to scratchy nibs. they are needlepoints with hairlines and no tipping, most will never be "smooth"

Or stick with zebra G's. Those are the only dip nibs with solid flex (Easily enough for spencerian, not quite enough for large print copperplate) that are properly "smooth"

#8 ItsMeDave

ItsMeDave

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Flag:

Posted Yesterday, 00:03

The zebra G will be smoother and more forgiving than any other dip nib I've ever come across.

the brause rose is a bit of a hard-start pain but it is smooth once it gets going.

The leonardt principal EF will throw down huge shades but it can be toothy.

Honestly, get used to scratchy nibs. they are needlepoints with hairlines and no tipping, most will never be "smooth"

Or stick with zebra G's. Those are the only dip nibs with solid flex (Easily enough for spencerian, not quite enough for large print copperplate) that are properly "smooth"

The Zebra G feels good for Spencerian.
I’ve been using a Brause blue pumpkin for Copperplate and have been happy with it, is the rose much different?

Sponsored Content

|