The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Why Buy The Herzstück 1929?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Calabria

Calabria

Pelikano

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2019 - 17:43

As many of you know, Pelikan is coming out with a grail pen in March, the Herzstück 1929. Sized like the M101N models, it's fairly small compared to the price:
https://thepelikansp...ition/#comments
Would you consider or are you considering buying this pen, and why? For collection purposes, as investment, because you love the brand, for writing? This is a beautiful pen, but priced higher than the Raden Royal Platinum, it's a curious offering.

- Derek

Edited by Calabria, 12 January 2019 - 17:50.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."
– Lin Yu-T'ang

Sponsored Content

#2 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,299 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2019 - 20:04

Why Buy The Herzstück 1929?

Indeed, why? 

Clearly my Pelikan fever has subsided.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#3 nibtip

nibtip

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2019 - 20:08

As for an answer yes i did consider to buy this writing instrument, but the smallish size and weight/size ratio bothers me lot. Besides can you see yourself with such a beautiful pen being posted without leaving residual scratches? Then you would leave it in the box or behind a showcase? seriously?

And only Medium nib is offered.

Based on photos i could have impulsively ordered it.

But i din't.

Yet? Wait till we know more about it.

I do own a Raden Royal Platinum. My most cherished pen.

The nib of the Raden and 3 other Pelikan nibs were Sent to Mike Masuyama for transfiguration. Received a mail from him 3 minutes ago.

#4 Uncial

Uncial

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,725 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2019 - 20:18

Looks like a very nice pen, but the price makes me ask an important question; where is the value? Is it just in it's limitation (because I honestly can't see where else it might be)? I know they've been pushing into the luxury market to possibly compete on the same level as Montblanc. The price rises of the standard line up reflect that over the last few years, but this is on a whole new level really for what is a very tiny pen. 

There's a certain aspect of pricing which Montblanc comes under a lot of criticism for but which other brands (such as Pelikan) seem to go unquestioned, which always strikes me as a little strange. It would be a bit like Montblanc selling a limited or special edition Boheme and charging three or four times the amount. To me that's a bit cheeky, but I have to assume they know their market and know people will pay that and buy it. Generally speaking I find Montblanc right on the edge of what I consider an acceptable price. I do wish they would lower the price of the 144/5 and introduce another different entry pen, but that's a wish that aint ever gonna happen with a brand that wants to market itself as 'luxury' only. Pelikan had it right maybe about five years ago when I felt their pricing strategy was right. Sadly, I think they are now pushing it above the barrier of what is acceptable and I've always found their special and limited editions to be grossly overpriced when you consider the serious limitations on nib sizes and I think the 1998 tortoise was the last time Pelikan released an interesting nib that differed from the norm of their range.

#5 Lam1

Lam1

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2019 - 21:57

The Herzstück is a gorgeous pen.

But there is absolutely nothing in it that justifies the price, IMO.

- There are no precious materials

- It is a small pen (typically the top priced pens are larger)

- No choice of nibs

- As is typical of Pelikan, there was no money "wasted" in design: they just picked one of their usual designs and repackaged it (at least, this time, it has a special nib).

So, the price is all in the reduced number.

Thanks. But, no thanks!

Uncial's comparison with MB is apt.

To focus even more, consider the MB Le Petit Prince Legrand: is a larger pen, but otherwise it is to the regular 146 like the Herzstück is for the M101N. It is a repackaged 146 design (with a lot of similarities in what changes: piston knob, cap top, clip, nib). But the Le Petit Prince is SE and costs a whole lot less, most importantly, it is not that much more than the regular version. Another important difference is that the MB offers a large variety of wonderful nibs to choose from!

As a result, I purchased the MB with a lovely BB nib. But I won't even look into the Herzstück!

Besides, for the price of the Herzstück I could get two Toledos M900, which are much more interesting... and I still don't have a Toledo!

Edited by Lam1, 12 January 2019 - 21:57.

#6 praxim

praxim

On twig

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,967 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2019 - 23:34

I agree. I checked the pictures fairly carefully, and much prefer to have the Toledo. I do not like the quasi-demonstrater style. It could have been that my tastes were different so I expect Pelikan will find their market and that those buyers will be pretty happy.
Anyone owning three or more working pens is in no position to disparage choices by others.

#7 Glenn-SC

Glenn-SC

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,062 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 00:07

"Why Buy The Herzstück 1929?"

Because you like it and can afford it.

Anything above and beyond a No. 2 pencil or a BiC Stic is pure luxury anyway.

#8 sargetalon

sargetalon

The answer to life, the universe, and everything

• Member - Gold

• 4,004 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2019 - 01:47

Value is a very subjective thing.  What the pen may be worth to me may not be the same to you.  Depends on your taste and sensibilities I suppose.  I completely agree that there are no materials, artistry, or R&D here that come close to justifying the price.  Pelikan is simply catering to a demographic of collectors who have the money and are willing to spend it.  I have repeatedly been critical of them on this front.  I find the pricing of the M120 particularly egregious.  They generally sell out editions like this so Pelikan has no motivation to lower their prices.  If you look at it solely from a price standpoint, really no Pelikan justifies itself, particularly in the United States.  It's not likely a situation to improve anytime in the future.  I only see prices going up for both standard and limited editions.

For me, I did buy one from Germany.  I love the form factor and enjoy the look of this one.  I will be using it regularly in rotation.  There are no show pieces in my collection.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count.  My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

#9 Matlock

Matlock

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,631 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2019 - 08:46

I have reserved one and. no I can't justify the outlay, but I feel that I need it. Like sargetalon I will use it as that is what pens are for (I only have one pen that I never use and that is my mother's Onoto that she used throughout the war in London). The size of the Herzstück 1929 is not an issue as I quite like smallish pens even though I have fairly large hands. I find the comparisons made between Pelikan and Montblanc interesting, Montblanc are now a luxury goods supplier rather than a pen manufacturer (although I do like their pens and have several). I visited a couple of Montblanc boutiques in London recently and the pens were tucked away at the back with the enthesis on their leather goods and watches. I think that another point worth bearing in mind is Pelikan's sale ethos, they are one of very few pen manufacturers that cater for a wide market, from school pens to luxury, limited edition pens. As far as I know only Parker and Pilot/Namiki offer such a wide range, Pilot even offer a disposable Fountain pen for around £3 and they write very well. Still, at the end, it is said that a fool and his money are soon parted :) .

Peter

#10 The Good Captain

The Good Captain

Gaston F Limoges

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,686 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2019 - 09:20

A lovely looking pen but even if I could really afford it, the chances are it would never be used. Then it would become a waste of money. I've the other M101Ns, apart from the lizard with diamonds, and I use them all, over time. They'll do me!

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

#11 Barutti

Barutti

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:34

Very nice pen with heritage background, well done indeed and I almost preordered it from Iguana UK.

But at the same time get an good deal for vintage 1929 black backelite Pelikan and 101 Lizard with nickel trim and of course their win. So I will skip 1929 Herzstuck, but only due the priority to vintage pelikans and limited budget respectively.

#12 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 11:39

The scratchy gold piston cap(good point).....the excess rear end weight of not only the metal piston cap but the brass guts.

Of course it has to be posted.....then it's not a tiny pen, but a standard sized one......long cap.

What of the nib?.............No MB heart of their first nibs...???

I doubt if it is even into the start of superflex Easy Full Flex..........I do have a post war 100n, that is that. Is it modern double kugal/ball...fat and blobby as is?????

....and M (modern Fat M, not the skinny vintage M) don't bother me, as it does the skinny nib brigade.

Even if I hit the lottery, no.  I'd been unimpressed with the nibs of the Pens of Their Times pens, in they were modern, not even semi-flex....same with this pen.

Like those fiberglass copies of the 1929 Bugatti. 

Well of course they had to make it an LE....IMO, no one would buy it otherwise.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson, 13 January 2019 - 11:44.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#13 jmccarty3

jmccarty3

There is no "c" in Sheaffer

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• 4,258 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 January 2019 - 16:49

I have ordered one, but at a considerable discount. Pelikan's recent offerings have made an immediate impression on me, either good or bad. I liked the appearance of this pen straight away, probably because of the combination of gold and black. The medium nib wouldn't have been my first choice, but it can always be ground to a cursive oblique italic. It certainly won't be an everyday carry. Other Pelikans that I have liked are the Renaissance Brown, the Iconic Blue, and the Vibrant Orange.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

#14 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,000 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:28

It's an interesting pen.  But I'm feeling a little poor at the moment.  I was very happy to find an M120 Iconic Blue last year for a little under what most place in the US were selling them for.  This one though?  Not for that price....  :yikes: 

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#15 jmccarty3

jmccarty3

There is no "c" in Sheaffer

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• 4,258 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 January 2019 - 03:27

As I've posted elsewhere, I've had to cancel my order for the Herzstück 1929. Pelikan apparently had given the European dealer from whom I ordered it an erroneous price, and I would have had to pay an additional €330 above the original quoted price. I didn't feel comfortable doing this, although I don't blame the dealer.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

#16 Lam1

Lam1

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 January 2019 - 04:25

As I've posted elsewhere, I've had to cancel my order for the Herzstück 1929. Pelikan apparently had given the European dealer from whom I ordered it an erroneous price, and I would have had to pay an additional €330 above the original quoted price. I didn't feel comfortable doing this, although I don't blame the dealer.

Oh, that absolutely sucks!

Sorry to hear it happened.

#17 scratchofapen

scratchofapen

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 January 2019 - 19:49

Uh, man that thing is ugly....at least they could made the nib heartholed.
Definitely not going to make it onto my wishlist for those two rasons.
On the other hand, i got a original 1st model from 1929 with hearthole nib,
so it might not have made it anyway.

Sponsored Content

|