The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

The "revived" Esterbrooks.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 aalmcc4

aalmcc4

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2019 - 02:58

I haven't seen much talk of the revived Esterbrooks hitting the market.  Yes, the new "J" pens were......................(I'll be gentle) ........not good.

The new Esterbooks since Kenro became involved are different.

Here's my take;

I just got back from the Philly Pen Show.  Multiple dealers at the show have the new Esties. Kenro is there too, pushing them hard.

I rolled the dice.  I got one in Tortoise ShelI. I can't post a picture because my tech abilities are stuck in the 1950s.  Google for pictures.

Short story is (IMHO).......Kenro hit a home run.

No, they don't resemble a vintage "J".  If you want a vintage "J", get one.  $40. Done.

They are a cigar shaped acrylic converter pen just like  Conklin, Edison,Bexley, etc. Nothing special there.

But they are done nice.  Real nice. Build quality seems excellent. Dare I say as good as a Franklin Christoph? (I am a big FC fan)

Before anyone bemoans the fact that they aren't exact duplicates of a Camden NJ "J" made In 1952, hear me out.

Ask yourselves, why do we love the vintage Esterbrooks?

Nib interchangeability.

The nib is a #6 Jowo. That means any of your #6 Masuyama massaged FC nibs will fit. Stubs, cursive italics etc.

Get the converter, (yes an additional $40.00) and put in any vintage "real" Easterbrook nib. I chose a 9314M.  Nice.

Good pen, cigar shaped vintage inspired, and can use any jowo, or vintage Esterbrook nib.

Winner in my book.

I am exceptionally pleased with my purchase.

Problem is, I have about 30+ nibs to choose from!

Sponsored Content

#2 langere

langere

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,391 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2019 - 04:40

Hmmm...

I wish they had simply chosen a new name rather than bought the Esterbrook name, because this is a different company and the pen has nothing to do with the old one.

Erick

Currently in Rotation:

Waterman Hemisphere "F" nib running J. Herbin Lierre Sauvage

Moonman Wancai M2 "F;" nib running PR Plum

Omas Paragon "F" nib running Pelikan Königsblau

#3 aalmcc4

aalmcc4

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2019 - 05:10

I get it.  Nostalgia is powerful. Heck, many including me would pay through the nose for a newly manufactured Parker Vacumatic or 51 Vac built like they were in the 1930's and 1940's.  All I'm saying is that it seems to be a good pen with some really desirable features, even if its a completely different animal.

#4 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,682 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2019 - 05:38

Hmmm...

I wish they had simply chosen a new name rather than bought the Esterbrook name, because this is a different company and the pen has nothing to do with the old one.

Erick

+1.  I had a look at the newly issued Estie model last month at a pen club meeting.  And frankly, while the pen was attractive enough (the blue acrylic, whatever they're calling the color) it was sort of, well, generic looking.  Just one more acrylic pen, that I'd be hard pressed to identify the brand of if I hadn't been told what it was.  It's the same problem I have with a lot of Edison Pens, and a lot of Bexley pens, and those Rosetta pens, and (truth be told) the acrylic Noodler's pens.  And several other brands I can't think of off the top of my head.  There's this *sameness* to them all, no matter the shape (flat top/torpedo/cigar/whatever).  

Whereas, when we were running the food booth a few summers ago out at a one-off show outside Indianopolis, and a woman came up to the counter with a couple of pens clipped to her neckline I said "Wow!  You've got an Esterbrook!" and she was amazed that I knew what it was and then of course I was completely drooling when it turned out she had a 9312 Italic nib on it....

And frankly, if they were going to make a pen that took the old Esterbrook and Venus nib units, why not just make a pen that did?  Instead, they made a generic (and moderately expensive) pen for which you have to pay EVEN MORE money to get an adapter.  

The most I've ever paid for a vintage Esterbrook was about $35 for a black LJ with a 9284 Signature Stub nib on it.  Which is what?  A quarter or a third the price of one of the new ones?  

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#5 RedRinger

RedRinger

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 January 2019 - 13:29

+1.  I had a look at the newly issued Estie model last month at a pen club meeting.  And frankly, while the pen was attractive enough (the blue acrylic, whatever they're calling the color) it was sort of, well, generic looking.  Just one more acrylic pen, that I'd be hard pressed to identify the brand of if I hadn't been told what it was.  It's the same problem I have with a lot of Edison Pens, and a lot of Bexley pens, and those Rosetta pens, and (truth be told) the acrylic Noodler's pens.  And several other brands I can't think of off the top of my head.  There's this *sameness* to them all, no matter the shape (flat top/torpedo/cigar/whatever).  

Whereas, when we were running the food booth a few summers ago out at a one-off show outside Indianopolis, and a woman came up to the counter with a couple of pens clipped to her neckline I said "Wow!  You've got an Esterbrook!" and she was amazed that I knew what it was and then of course I was completely drooling when it turned out she had a 9312 Italic nib on it....

And frankly, if they were going to make a pen that took the old Esterbrook and Venus nib units, why not just make a pen that did?  Instead, they made a generic (and moderately expensive) pen for which you have to pay EVEN MORE money to get an adapter.  

The most I've ever paid for a vintage Esterbrook was about $35 for a black LJ with a 9284 Signature Stub nib on it.  Which is what?  A quarter or a third the price of one of the new ones?  

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

+2. I was able to pick up and admire the new Esterbrooks, and while I was also impressed (I love the pressure-fit cap; feels like that wouldn't be drying out soon!), the price is a bit high especially with the Renew Point converter. I'll admit a little bit of me did thrill to see the Esterbrook name on a new pen like that, but short of that, yeah there really is little about the new ones that shouts "Esterbrook" to the eye or the hand.

I wonder that they didn't incorporate *some* element of design -- perhaps the lined clip, or an end jewel, something -- that would have inspired a twinkle in the eye of all the Esterbrook fanatics out there.

Now, let them make a white doctors/nurses version and put a red or green end on it, and then watch me stand in line!

Matt

#6 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,183 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 January 2019 - 02:56

I have a number of the original Esterbrook pens, and I would suspect that it would not be that hard for these new owners to make a better pen along the lines of a modern design. 

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#7 Tom Heath

Tom Heath

Collectors Item

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 February 2019 - 21:05

The nice thing about an Esterbrook is that it still holds up against the passing of time.

400  piece and still counting, not bragging just fact

penfancier1915@hotmail.com

Tom Heath

Peace be with you .   Hug your loved ones today

#8 RayMan

RayMan

Penathlete

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,356 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 February 2019 - 06:03

Regardless of what the new company is called, I like the fact that someone is making a pen that accepts the old Estie nibs.  I like the original Esterbrooks, but more than anything else, I loved the nibs.  Also, I was never a big fan of the old ink sacs.  I'd much rather have a converter.  That said, you'll have to pry my old Esterbrooks from my cold dead hands.

Regards,

Ray

Sponsored Content

|