• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BillH

• sargetalon

• 1nkulus

• Gobblecup

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My M1005 writes quite nicely out of the box. This is one of the nicest recent Pelikan nibs for me.

I was also pleasantly surprised to find that the F nib on mine is almost identical to the width of the EF on my M805 Ocean Swirl and just slightly wider than the EF of my Blue Dunes M805 (which may be due to the fact that the Blue Dunes writes rather on the dry side while the M1005 is pretty wet).

And the M1005 has some decent flex instead of being a nail. I can easily get some line variation.

post-91645-0-44858600-1571405752_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats to all those who have received their M1005. thumbup.gif

Reams of happiness await.

I have always enjoyed the nib and girth of the M100x.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Just received my M1005 Stresemann with an M nib. I think Pelikan's 1000 series M nibs should be called a 3M nib...it writes extremely wet and smooth. Lovely bounce from the nib too.

This thread is desperately lacking photos.

48773784188_939a4ffa12_h.jpg

48774124681_8520f8ab69_h.jpg

Do you have a photo side by side with the green striped M1000? I'm having trouble deciding which will be my first M1000

I'm so done with Pelikan's $#!7 QC on nibs. My 1005 Stresemann with an M nib wrote like a BB...when it wrote. It had a massive baby-bottom overpolish and skipped like crazy. Got the nob swapped for an F. Looked at it under a loupe. Again overpolished, and the tines aren't the same size :angry:

I'm returning the pen and I'm done with M100x series. Third M1000/1005 I've had to return because of dud nibs.

I must be the most incredibly lucky b*st*rd in the pen buying world! I read all these laments about bad experiences and, in the case of Pelikan, at least, I just have to wonder how I've gotten by so well.

I have:

A couple of M205's (the demo sorts with broad nibs for highlighting, came with the Pelikan specialty inks in green and yellow)

At least one M605, blue

No less than six M8xx's in different configuration (e.g., blue stripe, Stone Garden, demonstrators, etc.), with different nibs (I am away from home, so I can't count and catalog them here)

One M1000 green stripe and an extra M1000 nib I purchased to go with a Newton Prospector or interchange on the M1000 (so one M and one F)

I have never, in the ten or more years that I have been acquiring Pelikans, had an issue with a nib. Every one has been perfectly well behaved right out of the box.

Sorry that some of you have had less than happy experiences.

...snip...

I have never, in the ten or more years that I have been acquiring Pelikans, had an issue with a nib. Every one has been perfectly well behaved right out of the box.

This has been my experience as well.

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

Ditto. Nothing egregious encountered on my end. Most of my nibs on new purchases have performed according to expectation out of the box and I'd wager that my sample size is larger than most. I think bum nibs can happen to any pen across any brand and it's just bad luck when it occurs. I feel for anyone who has spent that kind of money and gotten a poor performing nib.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Ditto. Nothing egregious encountered on my end. Most of my nibs on new purchases have performed according to expectation out of the box and I'd wager that my sample size is larger than most. I think bum nibs can happen to any pen across any brand and it's just bad luck when it occurs. I feel for anyone who has spent that kind of money and gotten a poor performing nib.

Not so lucky here: the only time I've bought a Pelikan new, it did have a baby bottom nib.

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

Bought a new M1000. Pendleton Brown did a masterful job when he tuned the broad nib. Beautiful writer if 1) you have a light, smooth touch like a well-practiced penman, 2) you are happy to use just the driest inks regardless of your preference or needs, and 3) you only have to write on one side of high quality paper. Otherwise you just have to put up with a wet, wet nib and incredible bleed through. I'm told by everyone that the "soft" big nib and feed is designed to write very big and very, very wet. If all you're interested in is a big, impressive signature, that's fine. Puzzles me why a firm would build a premier model so limited when simple changes or options would support a much wider range of uses. I guess when I pay that much for a pen, I expect to be able to have it tuned to do what I need it to do - broad and not so wet it bleeds through a Rhodia notebook with document inks. And do it at least as well as much cheaper pens. Beautiful pen and perfect size and weight for me, though.

Too many pens, not enough fingers

• 3 weeks later...

I must be the most incredibly lucky b*st*rd in the pen buying world! I read all these laments about bad experiences and, in the case of Pelikan, at least, I just have to wonder how I've gotten by so well.

I have:

A couple of M205's (the demo sorts with broad nibs for highlighting, came with the Pelikan specialty inks in green and yellow)

At least one M605, blue

No less than six M8xx's in different configuration (e.g., blue stripe, Stone Garden, demonstrators, etc.), with different nibs (I am away from home, so I can't count and catalog them here)

One M1000 green stripe and an extra M1000 nib I purchased to go with a Newton Prospector or interchange on the M1000 (so one M and one F)

Then i am kissed by luck too....a dozend 80x (thats my weak collecting spot) and 100x over the years went through my hands, and as much additional nibs and never a single issue with a Pelikan nib...

Edited by scratchofapen

• 1 month later...

The only 'problem' I've had was with a Pelikan 200 steel nib that had too much feedback for my taste. Never had a problem with any others.

The F on this one was quite good (as I wrote above). But I have two M-width M1000 nibs from the PF era that hard start and skip. So this problem is not just a recent thing. I have never had a problem with an EF or F nib though.

• 2 months later...

Never had a single problem regarding nibs with any pelikans that I purchased in second hand.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time