Help Identify This...... Monster

woleizihan

Long story short, I grabbed this pen from Ebay and now I'm just staring at this monster. This is the most ridiculous pen I've seen and probably will be yours.

Cap On:

fpn_1547223721__img_1070.jpg

Cap off:

fpn_1547223732__img_1071.jpg

Looks pretty normal so far? Let's have some idea of the size:

Side-by-side with the Emperor:

fpn_1547223740__img_1072.jpg

fpn_1547223746__img_1073.jpg

See how ridiculous this monster is right? Here's what I know:

• Made in Japan, almost certainly
  • Cap band says R14k
  • Nib says "Warranted Perfect Hardest <5> Iridium". Gold plated nib unfortunately, but the correct size for the pen fortunately
  • Urushi coated, judging from the slight lacquer pile up towards the end of the pen.

Overall, it's a pretty generic Japanese pen from a certain period of time but because its ridiculous size, I remotely hope some expert could give more info on it. Thanks. :)

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• woleizihan

• Lloyd

• hari317

• mehandiratta

I heard or read somewhere that pens of such size were made for writers with arthritic or sore hands.

Edited by Sailor Kenshin

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Oh no... the fat pen designed for arthritic hands theory again. There are now many who have debunked the theory including one of our members to actually have arthritis and says extended widths make these pens harder to hold.

I also bought a fat pen when I was in Tokyo a couple weeks ago, from Eurobox. Mines marked Automat Pencil Company, has a steel nib and is an eye dropper. Also wondered by these fat pens came about.

How many batteries does it take?

It's not a Sheaffer PFW.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

I have a version of this thing from the late 1940s, a dropper filler that holds an amazing amount of ink but is very hard to use. It was made in Japan for who knows what reason but they show up on auction sites with some regularity so there must have been a lot made.

On the arthritis question, as the proud owner of eight fractured metacarpals I understand the arthritic hand thing. My ideal pen size is the Pelikan 800/Sheaffer's oversize Balance/Parker Senior Duofold range.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Probably works best if held like a piece of chalk (or a kitchen knife) (lay the shaft in the pocket of the palm, at the "life line")

Is that possibly a shop display piece?

Very nice find. The usual arthiritis pens are much much shorter. This one is HUGE. What is the exposed length of the nib? 50mm?

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Is that possibly a shop display piece?

Very nice find. The usual arthiritis pens are much much shorter. This one is HUGE. What is the exposed length of the nib? 50mm?

It's more like 40mm. I also doubt it's a display piece because it's actually engraved and inked. The funniest thing is it's a ring top...... It's probably going to break my neck.

It's more like 40mm. I also doubt it's a display piece because it's actually engraved and inked. The funniest thing is it's a ring top...... It's probably going to break my neck.

Oh that's what that is! I wondered what the little doohicky at the end of the cap was. Had it been a normal size pen I would have got it right away. But... :yikes:

How much does the pen weigh? And how many bottles of ink do you need in order to fill it?

It's a PenZilla (or Pen-jira) :)

Did Godzilla wear a ringtop FP around his neck?

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Oh that's what that is! I wondered what the little doohicky at the end of the cap was. Had it been a normal size pen I would have got it right away. But... :yikes:

How much does the pen weigh? And how many bottles of ink do you need in order to fill it?

It's not super heavy because there's no metal part other than the nib. It's more or less like twice the weight of the Emperor. As for the ink capacity, the barrel is significantly bigger than a standard Diamine 30ml bottle so I guess it should also be more or less in that range. I haven't tried to fill it though.