Which Ranga Pen To Buy?

iamharshkumar97

I am completely confused. I have a Pilot Metro and Sheaffer No Nonsense (a noob I know). I have heard a lot about Ranga Pens and would like to buy one but there are soooooo many options. Which will be good for me?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sansenri

• truthpil

• Jamerelbe

• WirsPlm

Ask yourself these questions,

• What size pen do you prefer: diameter, length, weight, balance towards the nib or towards the back, do you like posting the cap or not?
  • What filling system do you prefer, given that you're new to fountain pens and only have 2 I strongly suggest sticking with cartridge/converter, just be aware that the Ranga pens will take international standard cartridges which are not the same as Pilot or Sheaffer cartridges, so you'll wind up having to buy 3 different types of cartridge, perhaps that makes a difference and you'd rather get another Sheaffer or Pilot pen.
  • What type of nib you prefer, EF, F, M, B, stub
  • Do you want a clip or roll stop or do you prefer pens that are clipless.
  • Do you like acrylic, ebonite, metal, some other plastic, wood or some other material to hold in your hand, what texture do you like, etc.

After you know that you'll know what kind of pen to order, since that's quite a lot to figure out I strongly suggest going to a pen shop or a pen club gathering and just holding some pens so you can feel what size pen you like and where you like the balance, even just figuring those out will help a lot in narrowing down what pen to get. I know that Ranga has an eBay store and that seems like the most complete listing of their models so that's a place to start looking at models after you know a bit more about your pen preferences.

Edited by WirsPlm

I think that Ranga might also customise pens a bit, or so I have been told. I wouldn't mind a repro of a NoNonsense myself.

I think that Ranga might also customise pens a bit, or so I have been told. I wouldn't mind a repro of a NoNonsense myself.

I think Peyton Street pens has something like that made by Ranga, or at least an ebonite pen that takes NoNonsense nibs, here's the link, https://www.peytonstreetpens.com/psp-ranga-ebonite-model-3nn-flat-top-fountain-pen-for-sheaffer-no-nonsense-nibs-new.html

Edited by WirsPlm

Ranga frequently do "Group Buy" specials on the Fountain Pen Network, offering one or more of their pens at a discount (relative to their regular price). They have one going at the moment, on their Model 9B and Giant 9B pens. If you're used to writing with smaller pens (thinking of the Metropolitan here), the 9B might be a good option - I have an 8 and an 8B (to which the 9B is compared in one photo), and find the 8's grip section to be just a *little* on the thins side (though still comfortable), and the 8B pretty comfortable.

I personally prefer to buy the cartridge converter models, with JoWo (or Bock) nibs, as replacements are readily available to swap in - and I don't typically need the monster ink capacity of the eyedropper versions (though you can still eyedropper their CC pens).

Check out the current group buy at https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/342405-ranga-handmade-pens-2019-new-year-model-9b-and-giant-9b-in-beautiful-ebonites-including-solid-colour/

For a look at some of their other models side-by-side, you could check out their recently concluded Christmas group buy at https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/340741-ranga-handmade-pens-grand-festival-group-buy-10-models-in-various-choices/

Hope that helps - I have several Ranga pens, most of them picked up via FPN group buys, but am trying to resist the temptation to order another!

most of the Ranga pens will be a lot bigger than the ones you mentioned. the closest thing in terms of size to those would be the regular Model 8 (not the 8B) it is fairly slender and has a hourglass shaped section that is easy to hold. having said that, all of the Ranga models are really great. the ebonite is beautiful, varied and light weight, which means that even their really big, gargantuan pens (such as the model 5) are not very heavy. whatever you decide, I think you will be pleased

Listen to Gillum. Any Ranga is going to be great, and the Model 8 is fantastic.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

I will highly recommend the Model 8 with cartridge converter and a bock 1.1 nib.

If you have large hands and want to have an oversized pen, you might consider Model 5.

Im looking at the current group buy and maybe the other posters here can share whats the difference between Model 8 and Model 9b?

Thanks

I will highly recommend the Model 8 with cartridge converter and a bock 1.1 nib.

If you have large hands and want to have an oversized pen, you might consider Model 5.

Im looking at the current group buy and maybe the other posters here can share whats the difference between Model 8 and Model 9b?

Thanks

I don't think I've ever seen a Model. 9B before - but judging from the comparison pictures in the group buy post it looks like the 9B is a similar length but marginally wider diameter?

In my opinion a model 8 is something for all hands(because of the amazing section), preferably the c/c models . though I don't know too very much, the model 8 is something I won't regret buying.

It's not up tp me to tell you what you like. You'll have to find out for yourself. :)

Look at lots of pens. What characteristics do you like/dislike? Shape, colour, step down, no step down. White or yellow furniture? Torpedo or flat top. Handle as many pens as you can. Any brand. All brands. What materials do you prefer? Why? And so on. C/C or ED? Which nib? Long, short, narrow, wide?

Make a decision, buy a pen. Live with it for a month or two. What, if anything, would you change? Time to buy another pen!

Edited by Karmachanic

Add lightness and simplicate.

I was also going to suggest going to a pen show and looking around for a pen which will be the appropriate size/shape.

The SF Pen show in August is a great venue. Teri from Peyton Street Pens is one of the vendors and she brings the full range of Rangas to choose from.

Its a great event to attend in general but if youre looking for something in particular, youll find it there.

Helpful advice: leave your wallet at home and only bring what youre able to spend.

I have an 8B and whilst it's a larger pen it is a joy to write with, but I would also recommend ordering a cartridge/converter model with a medium nib. Mine's black with a black nib which looks good.

Al

I think Peyton Street pens has something like that made by Ranga, or at least an ebonite pen that takes NoNonsense nibs, here's the link, https://www.peytonstreetpens.com/psp-ranga-ebonite-model-3nn-flat-top-fountain-pen-for-sheaffer-no-nonsense-nibs-new.html

Yes, we had Ranga make a version of the flat top Model 3 for No Nonsense nib units, We still have them in a few colors, but haven't ordered more because we don't have enough NN nibs.

Thank you everyone for your wonderful replies. I will read and reread through them and do some more research.

What are the smallest Ranga models available? I too would like to try a Ranga, but they all seem huge and I have small hands.
Does Ranga make anything around the size of an Asa Genius??

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

What are the smallest Ranga models available? I too would like to try a Ranga, but they all seem huge and I have small hands.

Does Ranga make anything around the size of an Asa Genius??

Ask Mr Kandan for a short Model 3. 5.5"

Add lightness and simplicate.