Namiki Yukari Moonlight Raden In Tokyo

Chaosyoshi

Hello! After some searching in this forum, Id like to ask if the Namiki Yukari Raden Moonlight can be bought straight from the Itoya shop in Tokyo, or anywhere else in Japan for that matter.

Im planning a trip where I want to experience first hand buying or even just ordering my grail pen right then and their. Can anyone chime in?

I would most appreciate an email of any shop their that sells it so I can reserve it or something.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chaosyoshi

• LanceSaintPaul

• Mew

• swallow_

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There's one for sale right now in the Classifieds on this site.

Thank you! But at this caliber, I am prepping for a brand new one just for me :)

Yes. These types of pens are not rare in that they are probably going to be easily available pretty much at Itoya or Maruzen. Both these stores have the complete selection of maki-e and urushi Namikis.

Regarding the shopping experience, a couple pointers. I usually visit at least once a year and JUST returned a couple weeks ago so my memory and recollection is still quite fresh.

1. Don't even bother trying to find Namikis at a lower discounted price. They are not sold that way so just bite the bullet and pay full price.

2. While I understand that MANY of us extol the virtues of Itoya, it is fast becoming a place I would rather avoid. There is no really nice way to look at pens at the current pen gallery any more other than if you were just window shopping. And the crowds. My GOD the crowds are insane. There is no nice nook where you can sit and try the pen. The set up is so that you're basically hanging out with your butt in the way of people trying to either view the pens in the case or simply walk by. It's not a graceful experience and you really feel hurried and just want to get the experience over with because it's so (bleep) crowded, and there are just so many people trying to wrestle your sales person away by just butting in and asking questions.

3. Maruzen Nihonbashi is my favorite place to shop at the moment. There are less people, actually probably none. Also there is a separate room with a desk and chair for you try the higher end maki-e and urushi pens. Its a very civilized experience and they are happy to help you whether you choose to spend 10 mins or the entire afternoon. The ONLY caveat is that Maruzen does not do tax refund. But the service is amazing and the sales people are so very patient. NOTE while the Nihonbashi store and the Oazo stores are close by, the Nihonbashi store by far has a wider and more complete selection and much nicer browsing space.

4. If you REALLY want to squeeze as much discount out of your purchase as possible, try the big department stores like Mitsukoshi or Takashimaya. They usually offer a 5% discount for tourists on top of the tax refund they offer. The caveat here is that their selection is nothing like Maruzen or Itoya and it be a hit or miss to figure out which location has the Namiki you want. These are small pen counters that offer maybe a 1/4 of what you see at Maruzen or Itoya. Also these are pretty expensive pens and they don't want to have dead stock around. So if you have the time and the perseverance and endurance, you might have to visit a few locations to get the particular model you want. Otherwise if you're pressed for time, Itoya or Maruzen are probably the best choices. I find that Mitsukoshi and Taka are best for mid tier pens, like the Custom 743 or 823, the Platinum 3776, the Vanishing points and such. With the discount and the tax refund, you get a really good price.

There are many other places to shop for pens but you specifically mentioned Namikis so I will leave it at that. If you have any other questions, do ask. I love sharing my experience of pen shopping in Tokyo. I always learn something new and this time was no exception.

Edited by gerigo

I agree with gerigo, a lot of customers look for discounts on Namiki. But it will only be available at full price.

Another place I would recommend is the Aoyama Pen Boutique.

Yes. These types of pens are not rare in that they are probably going to be easily available pretty much at Itoya or Maruzen. Both these stores have the complete selection of maki-e and urushi Namikis.

Regarding the shopping experience, a couple pointers. I usually visit at least once a year and JUST returned a couple weeks ago so my memory and recollection is still quite fresh.

1. Don't even bother trying to find Namikis at a lower discounted price. They are not sold that way so just bite the bullet and pay full price.

2. While I understand that MANY of us extol the virtues of Itoya, it is fast becoming a place I would rather avoid. There is no really nice way to look at pens at the current pen gallery any more other than if you were just window shopping. And the crowds. My GOD the crowds are insane. There is no nice nook where you can sit and try the pen. The set up is so that you're basically hanging out with your butt in the way of people trying to either view the pens in the case or simply walk by. It's not a graceful experience and you really feel hurried and just want to get the experience over with because it's so (bleep) crowded, and there are just so many people trying to wrestle your sales person away by just butting in and asking questions.

3. Maruzen Nihonbashi is my favorite place to shop at the moment. There are less people, actually probably none. Also there is a separate room with a desk and chair for you try the higher end maki-e and urushi pens. Its a very civilized experience and they are happy to help you whether you choose to spend 10 mins or the entire afternoon. The ONLY caveat is that Maruzen does not do tax refund. But the service is amazing and the sales people are so very patient. NOTE while the Nihonbashi store and the Oazo stores are close by, the Nihonbashi store by far has a wider and more complete selection and much nicer browsing space.

4. If you REALLY want to squeeze as much discount out of your purchase as possible, try the big department stores like Mitsukoshi or Takashimaya. They usually offer a 5% discount for tourists on top of the tax refund they offer. The caveat here is that their selection is nothing like Maruzen or Itoya and it be a hit or miss to figure out which location has the Namiki you want. These are small pen counters that offer maybe a 1/4 of what you see at Maruzen or Itoya. Also these are pretty expensive pens and they don't want to have dead stock around. So if you have the time and the perseverance and endurance, you might have to visit a few locations to get the particular model you want. Otherwise if you're pressed for time, Itoya or Maruzen are probably the best choices. I find that Mitsukoshi and Taka are best for mid tier pens, like the Custom 743 or 823, the Platinum 3776, the Vanishing points and such. With the discount and the tax refund, you get a really good price.

There are many other places to shop for pens but you specifically mentioned Namikis so I will leave it at that. If you have any other questions, do ask. I love sharing my experience of pen shopping in Tokyo. I always learn something new and this time was no exception.

Thank you very much! I will be sending you a PM hehe

If you want a specific store - I was at Maruzen Marounichi Main Store (near Tokyo Station, just search Google Maps) last weekend and saw the Moonlight on display there - it was on the highest floor (Level 4, I think). The namiki pens weren't actually on display in the main pen area, it was actually around the corner.

Here's a picture taken on my phone.

post-139621-0-75447900-1547613264_thumb.jpg