• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• torstar

• Inky.Fingers

• Bo Bo Olson

• Honeybadgers

Im going to be using my hard as nails P25 Stub at work in future... (that i also love, but know it can handle anything thrown at it!)

Client at a job site asked to borrow my pen. Had my 51 that day, where's the harm. He began writing on a 2 x 4.

Thank you everyone for the wonderful encouragement to lend out and prevention of precious pens being ruined.

Some of the things that I always think of is will I insult the other person of not knowing what a fountain pen is or if they are familiar with using one.

For instance, my brother Teddy, once asked to use my Lamy 2000 with a BBB CI. I asked him, you know how to handle this pen? His simple reply was "just give it!" I was excited and my heart skipped a beat, not knowing what will happen. He handled it like a pro....his writing is magic! I praised his writing and he's my brother! Sometimes, even folks close to you, you don't know them!

I think I will adopt the phrase...It is my calligraphy pen, if you know how to write with it enjoy. Else, I do have a different pen for your use.

but it is a mouthful. I like the unexpected....wait for the good time/bad time....its life! Let's live dangerously.

In my pouch I carry one of my P51´s, with matching mechanical pencil, and a Pilot Vball with red ink.

If I´m asked for something to write, guess what I hand over....

Sure there is: spent a couple hours yesterday using mine taking deposition notes.

I like that. Why the heck not as long as it was you enjoying it.

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

• 1 month later...

I made this mistake once at a pen show trying to be nice to some dink. I leant him my Lamy 2000 when a vendor wouldn't let him try one as he wasn't intending to buy. In retrospect I don't blame that vendor because a year later and countless tuning attempts later the nib on my Lamy has never returned to its original smoothness.

"If brute force has failed to yield the desired result, it simply means you've failed to yield enough force."

Client at a job site asked to borrow my pen. Had my 51 that day, where's the harm. He began writing on a 2 x 4.

:yikes: :unsure: :wacko: :headsmack: :gaah: :wallbash: :headsmack: :headsmack:.

A measure once man.......Just imagine what that 2by4 will look like after he takes the sledgehammer to it.

xxxx

A long time ago...even long before I came back to fountain pens and it was later said to be a myth....the never lend you fountain pen, in....

""Took me months to get the nib to write the way I want....so don't want to spend months getting it back to writing right.""

...................was a social white lie that was believed, by the folks of that era.

So even back then there were the Ham Fisted.

As said, when I came back to fountain pens after four decades of being a Ball Point Barbarian...I sort of believed what I'd been told as a child.................then was told that was a myth, a nib was much more rugged than that.

Until the second one lends the pen!!!!.

There should be a pinned subject, never lend your pen....and some of the thousand sad stories.

In the era of free ball points, no fountain pen user should be with out his free ball point.

Other lies that might help.....washable ink, don't sweat on it....or it's too humid to use today; the ink runs***.................... :P Not good for when in Phoenix or W. Texas.

***Ignorance can be useful when it's not yours.

Two Benjamins Deposit????

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I am so, so sorry about your pen!

But, I am encouraged by your response to your wife's error. We all do "not so smart" things sometimes. And it sounds like she has generously compensated for her error. You are a lucky man!

I travel a great deal and always have some of my fountain pens with me. Many times I will be asked about my pens. I always carry several that are my "give-aways". I show them how to use it and for the most part they are intrigued and I end up giving the pen away. But, I also always carry a few inexpensive ballpoints for those times when my "gut" tells me different. I think I have been fortunate to never have a pen damaged or stolen by someone thus far.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

That's why I keep Varsity Pens around. I don't want them tearing up my $4 Shark.

:lticaptd:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Best advice on here...don't lend your pen!

Another good tip is to keep that sacrificial ballpoint handy.

I once was in a position where I ended up lending my pen out (ok it's a twsbi eco but my pride and joy) and thankfully the recipient used it nicely.

I only take certain pens out, tend to keep my faves at home.

My heart goes out to those who have suffered :(

nope, not good enough

Actually, it worked quite well.

Since my original post it's also been in several court hearings with me.

It's a workhorse, and likes to get out of the pen cup on my desk.

Edited by gary

Clockwork Collector.....Lamy will still fix your pen/nib for Free!

Go for it.

They are not fast in communication....but do eventually get the job done.

When thinking it's still for free, then one has a bit of time left over.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I carry a metal pen that can be disassembled and uses pilot G2 refills. Permanent ink, works great, no worries about lending it to others. If I ever have a fountain pen with me, I don't give it to others. And not even because I'm being overprotective (since usually I only carry ones I can replace easily)--it's because most people so far don't really know how to use them properly. Even my significant other tries to use them as ballpoint pens with too much pressure and at odd angles, then complains how they never write well. No point offering a fountain pen to others to actually write with. If they want to see the pen, I can do a demo with my own hands. I understand the popularity of Jinhao X750 and the like--they are very durable nails that one can mess up and not lose much, and they mostly work fine--except when they have baby's bottom.

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

• 3 weeks later...

I thought you were talking about a very small envelope at first... a P51 on timber... not heard of that one... I hope the nib is ok though and trust youll be keeping a pencil behind your ear for that request in future...

Seems like a lot of these issues can be resolved by carrying a safe-to-lend pen and offering that when asked, instead of the fountain pen.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.”