In Praise Of The Common 048 Falcon

AAAndrew

Esterbrook made millions of their flagship 048 Falcon steel pen. It was their best-selling pen for over 70 years. They're still common, relatively inexpensive and generally dismissed by those seeking the "grail pens." (they don't fit in an oblique holder, for one, so calligraphers tend to not be interested)

They can vary in quality over the years, but even the worst, the most recent made (1940's) are still, in the end, a decent pen. They actually don't get the praise I think they deserve.

This one is from the late 20's, but even the later ones are relatively nice.

So, here's to the common, the plain, the ordinary Esterbrook 048 Falcon. Long may you be ignored by everyone but me.

Andrew

fpn_1546914774__048_falcon_penmanship.jp

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AAAndrew

• Bo Bo Olson

• sirgilbert357

• bobje

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rock on, Andrew. Does that fold at the base prevent use in an oblique holder?

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Yes, unless you had a weird kind of oblique holder, this is too long. But that is also one reason why they’re still relatively inexpensive; they’re not wanted by the calligraphers. Long may that last.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

-Montaigne

I do have 2/3rds of a box of assorted Drafting Esterbrook pens...........so some day I'll have to go through and scribble down which is which.

Long, long before bar codes.....

I noticed looking through my nibs because of a post in the last couple of days, some nibs that are not super weak kneed wet noodle dip pens like a 99 Hunt, are still quite responsive, much more than common fountain pen wet noodles.

Sigh.....some day....been promising my self that for near a decade....someday, I'll start learning to write.

Andrew that is some hell of a normal handwriting.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Andrew that is some hell of a normal handwriting.

It was only three years ago my writing looked like this. Just break out your pens and try them.

post-47048-0-09124700-1546979861.jpeg

-Montaigne

:thumbup: :happyberet:

Practice may not make perfect; but sure beats the hell out of none.... :wallbash:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Esterbrook made millions of their flagship 048 Falcon steel pen. It was their best-selling pen for over 70 years. They're still common, relatively inexpensive and generally dismissed by those seeking the "grail pens." (they don't fit in an oblique holder, for one, so calligraphers tend to not be interested)

They can vary in quality over the years, but even the worst, the most recent made (1940's) are still, in the end, a decent pen. They actually don't get the praise I think they deserve.

This one is from the late 20's, but even the later ones are relatively nice.

So, here's to the common, the plain, the ordinary Esterbrook 048 Falcon. Long may you be ignored by everyone but me.

Andrew

fpn_1546914774__048_falcon_penmanship.jp

Gorgeous handwriting. Even without the flex, you'd be killin' it!!!

It's true. You don't need flex, but it can be fun.

This is an Esterbrook 531 Flyer, which is just like their Inflexible but with a turned-up tip.

For a dip pen, this is considered "no flex".

fpn_1546989259__2019_01_07_flyer_penmans

-Montaigne

In either case you must have good writing skill.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost