What's Your Most Recent Mb Purchase? 2019 Edition

zaddick

I've now had my first MB purchase of 2019 for several days, putting it through its paces. My only other MB is a 24 from ~1960 (that I got a year ago) with an OM nib. Despite that nib being a nail, it is a great writer... very smooth and the obliqueness allows me to keep my letters open more easily. I can forget about the pen-in-hand as I write. Move forward to 2019 and I have now acquired an MB 149 from the late 1990's. The pen seems to be in immaculate shape after I did some touch-ups with Polywatch (love that stuff on resin!). But the nib is very hard (M) and I find it a bit uninspiring relative to all my other top-tier pens. It provides very slight feedback sound at the inflection points, so not silky smooth - although the actual writing is smooth... but this really has no springiness at all. It makes my Pelikan M800 nib feel cushy. It is on the wet side of balanced, but maybe I would prefer one more notch wet (I already tried pulling the tines apart slightly more, but did not get to where I was looking for). I have several girthy pens, which I'm comfortable with, but between the hard nib and thick section so far I've not been able to forget this pen is in my hand as I write. I have a Sailor King of Pen that melts into my hand as I write.

Anyway, is this a feeling that may grow on me over time? For now I've taken to trying to pair this pen with good-shading inks to add a bit of excitement.

Edit: I did a slight micro-mesh touch up... the nib is now buttery smooth and ink flow has increased, nonetheless, the nib still remains a few degrees more stiff than my Pelikan M800.

46609450394_276fa6e336_k.jpg

My birthday present for my 40 y.o. anniversary: Rouge et noir coral ballpoint.

https://www.penboutique.com/products/montblanc-heritage-collection-rouge-noir-special-edition-coral-ballpoint-pen

I got my Homage to Homer (Writer Edition) last night at Dromgooles in Houston. What a nice pen. Actually get to ink it up tonight. Can't wait.

Congrats gents!

Namiki Yukari Maki-e Zodiac Horse 1st edition, by Masaru Hayashi 林胜 | Namiki Yukari Royale Vermillon Urushi No. 20 | Pelikan M1000 | Montblanc WE 2004 Franz Kafka LE | Montblanc POA 2018 Homage to Ludwig II LE 4810 | Montblanc POA Joseph II 2012 LE 4810 | Montblanc 146 75th Anniversary SE | Montblanc Meisterstück Great Masters James Purdey & Sons SE | Montblanc 118232 Heritage Collection Rouge et Noir Spider Metamorphosis SE Coral | Montblanc 10575 Meisterstück Gold 149 | Montblanc 114229 Meisterstück Platinum 149 | Montblanc 111043 John F. Kennedy LE 1917 Rollerball | Montblanc 116258 The Beatles SE Ballpoint | Montblanc 114723 Heritage Collection Rouge et Noir SE Rollerball | Montblanc Meisterstück Platinum-Coated Classique Ballpoint |

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• zaddick

• Michael R.

• AndyLogan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Heritage 1912 with a B nib. So far, I'm quite impressed by the quality of construction and performance of the nib.

Thanks Sidd for such an effortless transaction!

Just recently purchased these 3 items :) Nothing special ;)

1. Montblanc 1999 - 75th Anniversary 18K Gold & Mother of Pearl Cufflinks - Limited to 75 pieces

CyP3Ww1.jpg

rSuVdDh.jpg

nP0TbqQ.jpg

tbGs51t.jpg

kbNEI6H.jpg

3xUqSoc.jpg

2. Montblanc 1999 - 75th Anniversary 18k Gold & Diamonds 116 Mozart Ballpoint Pen - Limited to 75 pieces

OVYREJd.jpg

Fbn9Vks.jpg

RgUqBHy.jpg

3. Montblanc 1999 - 75th Anniversary 18k Gold & Diamonds 114 Mozart Fountain Pen - Limited to 75 pieces

6hW3ucX.jpg

xfyCAOG.jpg

VV2ZQ14.jpg

6sBNjoX.jpg

Just purchased this desk set :) Includes: Ink well, 149 pen holder stand, blotter and letter opener :)

RP5VUtb.jpg

Just purchased this desk set :) Includes: Ink well, 149 pen holder stand, blotter and letter opener :)

RP5VUtb.jpg

WOW! A must have set.

Brought myself another Montblanc 75th Anniversary 149, this time its the special edition version re4DREy.jpg

Also got myself a lovely Montblanc 164 75th anniversary limited edition sterling silver ballpoint pen thats limited to 1924 pieces :)

ZE1nAgF.jpg

CmKxDUT.jpg

hrCpMin.jpg

yjKKD9R.jpg

Brought myself another Montblanc 75th Anniversary 149, this time its the special edition version re4DREy.jpg

Also got myself a lovely Montblanc 164 75th anniversary limited edition sterling silver ballpoint pen thats limited to 1924 pieces :)

ZE1nAgF.jpg

CmKxDUT.jpg

hrCpMin.jpg

yjKKD9R.jpg

Very beautiful. I have the 146 SE.

Namiki Yukari Maki-e Zodiac Horse 1st edition, by Masaru Hayashi 林胜 | Namiki Yukari Royale Vermillon Urushi No. 20 | Pelikan M1000 | Montblanc WE 2004 Franz Kafka LE | Montblanc POA 2018 Homage to Ludwig II LE 4810 | Montblanc POA Joseph II 2012 LE 4810 | Montblanc 146 75th Anniversary SE | Montblanc Meisterstück Great Masters James Purdey & Sons SE | Montblanc 118232 Heritage Collection Rouge et Noir Spider Metamorphosis SE Coral | Montblanc 10575 Meisterstück Gold 149 | Montblanc 114229 Meisterstück Platinum 149 | Montblanc 111043 John F. Kennedy LE 1917 Rollerball | Montblanc 116258 The Beatles SE Ballpoint | Montblanc 114723 Heritage Collection Rouge et Noir SE Rollerball | Montblanc Meisterstück Platinum-Coated Classique Ballpoint |

Finally arrived after way to much time and effort on my part...

fpn_1553290143__img_20190322_142207_483.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

mmmmmmmmm... oBBB...

Seriously wonderful, all kidding aside.

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

:) Im thinking of getting the full set in sterling silver as well!

I have both the resin and the silver sets (minus to letter opener), and they are both gorgeous, even if very different between them.

Actually, I have three stands for the 149, which are also perfect for the Hemingway and the Dumas.

I only own a silver Montblanc, a Solitaire Pinstripe, so I just bough a single silver stand and one blotter, but I bought two inkwells, for reasons of symmetry on the desk...

So, I can not but second your idea of owning both sets...

P.S. Your Special Edition 149 is soooo beautiful...

Finally arrived after way to much time and effort on my part...

fpn_1553290143__img_20190322_142207_483.

Wow. Congratulations! Enjoy it in good health.

post-147575-0-41061000-1553309556_thumb.jpg

Urban Spirit 1 Pen Fold & Siena 2 Pen Pouch

post-147575-0-05503100-1553309670_thumb.jpg

Meisterstuck Solitaire Blue Hour LeGrand

Edited by CBK

I have both the resin and the silver sets (minus to letter opener), and they are both gorgeous, even if very different between them.

Actually, I have three stands for the 149, which are also perfect for the Hemingway and the Dumas.

I only own a silver Montblanc, a Solitaire Pinstripe, so I just bough a single silver stand and one blotter, but I bought two inkwells, for reasons of symmetry on the desk...

So, I can not but second your idea of owning both sets...

P.S. Your Special Edition 149 is soooo beautiful...

Wow! I did see your sterling silver set! It looks absolutely beautiful! :)

Do you know if the sterling silver pen stand comes in the 149 size? I was thinking of adding a 149 solid platinum sometime in the future and it would look absolutely amazing with the set.

The 149 75th Anniversary Special Edition fountain pen is indeed beautiful :) Ive also got two that are limited to 1924 pieces with Rose Gold plating and Mother of Pearl Snowcap logo :)

Wow! I did see your sterling silver set! It looks absolutely beautiful! :)

Do you know if the sterling silver pen stand comes in the 149 size? I was thinking of adding a 149 solid platinum sometime in the future and it would look absolutely amazing with the set.

The 149 75th Anniversary Special Edition fountain pen is indeed beautiful :) Ive also got two that are limited to 1924 pieces with Rose Gold plating and Mother of Pearl Snowcap logo :)

I think that Montblanc never made a silver stand for the 149, but I'm not sure.

The LE 75th Anniversary Rose Gold 149 is one of the pens that I like the most, but I never found one at a price point that I would consider reasonable. Actually, I had one under the radar a few weeks ago, but I was too slow and I lost it...