• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DilettanteG

• N1003U

• carola

• mana

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very nice. I keep drooling over the vintage 100s and then get sticker shock.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I'll take this back to my original thread a few weeks ago, perhaps I shouldn't have muddied this thread, just extremely frustrated at the consistency at the price point.

No, two from Niche pens, one from Cult pens and one from Regina Martini.

I'm to the point where i prefer to order pens from somewhere that will test/tune them for more expensive pens. I just received my M1005 Stresseman this afternoon which i ordered from Nibsmith. Pretty sure i will be looking to sell my M805 Stresseman, what a huge difference between the two. Enough so that i pretty much won't be using the M805 now.

I'm to the point where i prefer to order pens from somewhere that will test/tune them for more expensive pens. I just received my M1005 Stresseman this afternoon which i ordered from Nibsmith. Pretty sure i will be looking to sell my M805 Stresseman, what a huge difference between the two. Enough so that i pretty much won't be using the M805 now.

After much current range Pelikan M1000 series nib research I've decided to no longer pursue a Broad, thankfully the dealer is looking after me and an EF is on the way.

I have no reference for these nibs having never used one, if I find the EF too pedestrian I figure it would be an easy trade on FPN / Geeks for an M1005 series Broad or Medium nib. Chances are I'll pick up a spare broad on my pursuit for 'The One' cursive italic goodness.

Edited by jaytaylor

After much current range Pelikan M1000 series nib research I've decided to no longer pursue a Broad, thankfully the dealer is looking after me and an EF is on the way.

I have no reference for these nibs having never used one, if I find the EF too pedestrian I figure it would be an easy trade on FPN / Geeks for an M1005 series Broad or Medium nib. Chances are I'll pick up a spare broad on my pursuit for 'The One' cursive italic goodness.

My fine writes more towards a medium, and a fairly wet one. Maybe the seller would be willing to look over a broad or two for your to find one that will suit your needs and test to verify it works properly.

• 3 weeks later...

M200 Cafe Creme arrived today. It's every bit as lovely as Ruth has said. Of course, the hard part now it deciding what ink to use in it. Brown is out so I'm thinking maybe GvFC Moss Green.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

M200 Cafe Creme arrived today. It's every bit as lovely as Ruth has said. Of course, the hard part now it deciding what ink to use in it. Brown is out so I'm thinking maybe GvFC Moss Green.

~ chromantic:

Congratulations on your Classic M200 Cafe-Crème!

That's a Pelikan which I've admired despite not being much of a coffee drinker.

Whichever ink you choose, I hope that it'll be a delightful writer.

Tom K.

Have put in a return request for the Cafe Creme - scratchiest nib I've ever experienced on a new pen (only Pelikan this bad is a *used* M250 from the early 90s). Nothing delightful about it at all, unfortunately. :(

That's too bad. My first one had baby's bottom. The second one had a super wet IM nib, which gushed even with iron gall ink. Had that nib tightened up a bit, but also was able to get a B nib that was tuned for me in a different pen and then swapped in once the fill of IG ink (FPN member Pharmacist's lovely lovely Turkish Night -- I didn't want to dump that because I only have the one small bottle of it).

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

That's too bad. My first one had baby's bottom. The second one had a super wet IM nib, which gushed even with iron gall ink. Had that nib tightened up a bit, but also was able to get a B nib that was tuned for me in a different pen and then swapped in once the fill of IG ink (FPN member Pharmacist's lovely lovely Turkish Night -- I didn't want to dump that because I only have the one small bottle of it).

It's the metal trim of the section that steers me away from iron gall inks, I may have to pick up an M200 series pen with an M400 retrofitted gold nib for the more risky inks.

It's the metal trim of the section that steers me away from iron gall inks, I may have to pick up an M200 series pen with an M400 retrofitted gold nib for the more risky inks.

I happily used Platinum Classic Ink Khaki Black (iron-gall) ink in my Pelikan M200 Smoky Quartz for months on end, without any ill-effects to the gold-plated steel F nib with which it came fitted. I only swapped the 14K gold nib from my newer M400 White-Tortoise into the M200 Smoky Quartz because I think the M200 SQ's steel nib is a nib that better suits my liking and deserves to be in the M400 W-T, but I didn't want to put Platinum Classic Ink Khaki Black inside the barrel of the M400 W-T. It has nothing to do with risking or protecting any nib or trim from the possibility of corrosion.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Have put in a return request for the Cafe Creme - scratchiest nib I've ever experienced on a new pen (only Pelikan this bad is a *used* M250 from the early 90s). Nothing delightful about it at all, unfortunately. :(

These nibs are easy to exchange. I recently ordered the M205 demo and ordered two extra nibs with it. All were good, but strangely, the M laid down the nicest line.

My Cafe Creme came from Japan with the finest EF nib Ive ever encountered - like a Sailor EF. I swapped in a 14K EF nib, and put the needlepoint in storage for when I want that kind of line.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

I thought about simply ordering a nib from Cult Pens and, if it was a case of "I wish I'd gotten an F instead of the EF" then, sure. On top of that, the seller tried to justify the scratchiness by saying "it must be longtime writing become smooth".

My Cafe Creme came from Japan with the finest EF nib Ive ever encountered - like a Sailor EF.

Lucky you!

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I thought about simply ordering a nib from Cult Pens and, if it was a case of "I wish I'd gotten an F instead of the EF" then, sure. On top of that, the seller tried to justify the scratchiness by saying "it must be longtime writing become smooth".

Where did you get it? sound unjustified on a new pen not to propose to change a faulty/scratchy nib... also, on Pelikans it's so easy, the seller would not even need to take back the whole pen, just send you a new nib ...a nib is so light that shipping costs are marginal.

Thank said Pelikan EF steel nibs do turn out scratchy every now and then... I usually never go finer than F on them.

Perhaps if I'd voiced my dissatisfaction first, they might have offered something like that (and I was prepared to ask for them to credit $25 back and buy a nib from Cult) but I requested a refund and they immediately said "of course, no problem".

I'll just use the money for the new Golden Marbled and, while I haven't had problems with the steel EFs in the past, I'll go with a F on that.

~ Following the kind recommendation of inkstainedruth, the first Edelstein ink has arrived on my writing desk.

Tom K.

fpn_1572004962__a_recommended_ink.jpg

fpn_1572005197__edelstein_ink_packaging.

fpn_1572005351__edelstein_tanzanite.jpg

I had been searching for a long time to get one of these: a first generation West German M800 with a fine 14c nib:

fpn_1572122743__pelikanm80014c.jpg

Edited by carlos.q