Adding To The Flock

mana

All of your new acquisitions are gorgeous, but I really love your vintage 400NN tortoise. It's stunning! Particularly with those red/amber lines. Congrats on all three!!!

Thanks, I have several other 400NN in green, it's a lovely pen, I bought a few when prices were not so high, particularly since they have different nibs, but this was my first tortoise. I agree Pelikan's tortoise particularly vintage is a really nice colour, with different shaded lines.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DilettanteG

• N1003U

• carola

• mana

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks, I have several other 400NN in green, it's a lovely pen, I bought a few when prices were not so high, particularly since they have different nibs, but this was my first tortoise. I agree Pelikan's tortoise particularly vintage is a really nice colour, with different shaded lines.

Your 400nn tortoise is lovely! The cap and knob look clearly brown, and the barrel has very good shades of honey and red. The pen looks in a great condition, must be hard to secure one.

You have a great collection!

• 2 weeks later...

After collecting vintage Pelikans for some years, my first modern (read: contemporary) bird was a yellow highlighter -- no, this is wrong: I <do> have a few modern reiterations of earlier pens (the 100s in jade and lapis; the 100Ns in brown and red tortoise); but the point is that I have recently become the owner of an M1000 with fine nib, with which I am fairly thrilled! Not only does it feel enormous in the hand (nice!); but it does offer something <approaching> flex, as everyone knows, due to the enormity of that nib!

In addition, I found a seller in Japan offering a bright red M101N without nib for a very reasonable price, so...I took the plunge and <that> arrived this morning! I fitted a 14kt fine nib I had knocking around and hey, presto! One more very satisfying pen to add to the flock. Now I <know> that some others have been underwhelmed or disappointed with the red barrel/cap and I do understand why; but, nevertheless, it works well and this nib, too, has <some> (minor) flex ability. I shall try to find a vintage nib to fit it. I remember that some poster wrote, many months ago, that the barrel and cap did not quite seem to match in colour intensity -- and I think that that poster was right; but does it matter? Not to me, too much...

Judge for yourselves -- although I am very amateur when it comes to photographing my pens...

post-104292-0-41547000-1566444314.jpg

post-104292-0-09033100-1566444401.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My first ever M800-sized pen arrived today. It is the Blue Dunes M805, although I like to call it Blue Moon. The pen is really beautiful. The silver pattern adds depth to the design. It is hard to photograph!

Mine has the cursive italic grind on M nib, by niche pens. I asked for a medium wet flow. It turns out great. It is my finest medium, with a moderate ink flow. The pen pairs well with Kon-Peki, perhaps it will work even better with a J Herbin 1670 shimmering ink.

M805 nib is huge! Much larger than my M605. The change from M400 to M600 is not that much in comparison. The nib is a nail, which I enjoy very much with the CI grind.

And a photo

fpn_1567631586__3dba446c-e0e5-4aaf-bdf5-

The pen is really more beautiful in person. I like the moon dust shimmering. A perfect pen for blue inks. There are a lot of blue pens out there, but this is my first, maybe that is why I feel a special connection.

And a photo

fpn_1567631586__3dba446c-e0e5-4aaf-bdf5-

The pen is really more beautiful in person. I like the moon dust shimmering. A perfect pen for blue inks. There are a lot of blue pens out there, but this is my first, maybe that is why I feel a special connection.

Stunning! And this is where I have to remind myself that the M800 is really a little too big for me, I already have four, I don't need another pen. etc. etc...

But it's so pretty!

Congratulations on your first M800 sized Pelikan! Your handwriting looks so nice with that nib and your photo really shows off the beauty of the blue!

Stunning! And this is where I have to remind myself that the M800 is really a little too big for me, I already have four, I don't need another pen. etc. etc...

But it's so pretty!

Maybe we'll get lucky and Pelikan will release it in the same color in a smaller size pen in a couple of years, the way they did with the Anthracite Stresemann.... An M800 is way too big and heavy for me, but I knew that if they ever made one in the M400 size I'd be all over it.... And then a couple of years later, they did -- and circumstances dictated that I could afford it.... :thumbup: :bunny01: :cloud9:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

In recent weeks my collection of Pelikan pens has grown with 3 new (used) pens. A barely used M600 tortoise white, the M620 Berlin set (with ballpoint) and an M625 in the color red. The M600 tortoise has been on my wish list for a while and when it was offered on a Dutch website I got it right away. I didn't negotiate the price for long, I just wanted it. This pen has hardly been used and looks like new. Last week a used M620 Berlin set was also offered at a very reasonable price. When I went to pick up the set, it turned out to he also have an M625 in the color red for sale. This one too was hardly used and still looks beautiful. The 620 and 625 I could buy for a very reasonable price. My spending money for pens for this year is gone. No more new pens for the time being (although I have had that intention before).
Unfortunately the photos are not too good, I just can't make good pictures of pens.

post-149020-0-40218700-1568455119_thumb.jpg

post-149020-0-02428200-1568455126_thumb.jpg

post-149020-0-49046000-1568455132_thumb.jpg

post-149020-0-44968900-1568455143_thumb.jpg

Just received the Star Ruby M205. The colour is lovely. Though it does not look like the photos. The photos made it look like it would be glittery, it isnt. It is very similar to the Olivine version, other than being Star Ruby coloured.

That sounds worrying, I was especially keen on seeing something different from Pelikan (a.k.a. that glitter effect). Pics would be appreciated.

My M1005 Stresemann has just landed, sadly let down by an awful nib. One tine lower than the other, aggressively over ground, aggressively over polished, heavily baby bottomed around to the top of the nib, one tine more baby bottomed than the other at the top. The nib is also full of ripples and appears to have a crease across both tines level with end of the feed.

My forth brand new Pelikan nib experience and all four have major issues.

The quality of the pen is excellent, the nibs however are frankly junk. Pilot Penmanship pen for $10 can get it very right, when cant Pelikan sort the shoddy QC of these potentially excellent nibs?

Deeply disheartened and will return this junk nib, I accepted the others and ground them as best as I could given the limitations of what tipping remained.

If you are wanting to get a formal, correctly ground CI out of a Pelikan nib, good luck as there was only enough tipping material on one of my nibs to achieve it.

Edited by jaytaylor

My M1005 Stresemann has just landed, sadly let down by an awful nib. One tine lower than the other, aggressively over ground, aggressively over polished, heavily baby bottomed around to the top of the nib, one tine more baby bottomed than the other at the top. The nib is also full of ripples and appears to have a crease across both tines level with end of the feed.

The quality of the pen is excellent, the nibs however are frankly junk. Pilot Penmanship pen for $10 can get it very right, when cant Pelikan sort the shoddy QC of these potentially excellent nibs?

Deeply disheartened and will return this junk nib, I accepted the others and ground them as best as I could given the limitations of what tipping remained.

If you are wanting to get a formal, correctly ground CI out of a Pelikan nib, good luck as there was only enough tipping material on one of my nibs to achieve it.

Sorry to hear of your issues and I can totally understand your frustration and sympathize. Always disturbing to get a nib that is so poor out of the box. No QC is infallible, however, and this issue affects manufacturers across the board. I have purchased hundreds of new birds and have had very good success with nibs out of the box. Hard to condemn the entire QC of the line based on such a small sample size.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

In my experience (20+ new Pelikans in the last 10 years), 75% of the time the tines were misaligned (always the left tine lower than the right). I avoid M and larger nibs, due to higher probability of getting baby bottom. Given the price of the pens, the nibs shouldn't be less than perfect out of the box.

Just out of curiosity, did you buy the pens from the same vendor? Getting four duds in a row is super strange.

When I looked at the Star Ruby M205 in natural light it didnt look glittery. I was actually disappointed. Under artificial light though I can see the glitter, sort of like glittery ink it only shows up if the light hits it correctly.

This was taken in artificial light with a flash. It doesnt appear this glittery in real life, and as I said I couldn't see the glitter at all in daylight.

Edited by Ditzy

Sorry to hear of your issues and I can totally understand your frustration and sympathize. Always disturbing to get a nib that is so poor out of the box. No QC is infallible, however, and this issue affects manufacturers across the board. I have purchased hundreds of new birds and have had very good success with nibs out of the box. Hard to condemn the entire QC of the line based on such a small sample size.

I'll take this back to my original thread a few weeks ago, perhaps I shouldn't have muddied this thread, just extremely frustrated at the consistency at the price point.

Just out of curiosity, did you buy the pens from the same vendor? Getting four duds in a row is super strange.

No, two from Niche pens, one from Cult pens and one from Regina Martini.