Adding To The Flock

mana

Thats very nice. I always wanted to try a flex nib. I think vintage is not an option for me currently, since I do not know how to restore, nor have the space to do so currently, and some of the prices can get very high for a restored older pelikan.

The vinatge Pelikans are wonderful (imo) regardless of if they flex or not, but the ones that do are amazing. I don't restore any of the ones I buy, since I only really buy already restored. The Pelikans usually require no extra work excpet maybe a seal (if it's cork, like a 100) or a polystyrene collar on the nib unit on some models from the '50s. If you search a little, you can find a 400/400NN around 130 USD with a bit of luck. 140s are great too, and those can be had for around the same. I have my eye on a 140 for 100 USD right now with an OB nib, not sure if I'll pull the trigger or not yet.

Have you tried switching inks to see if the baby bottom is due to the ink and not the nib? I put Diamine Chine Blue in my m101n grey/blue, but I noticed baby bottom after letting the ink sit for a week. I then switched to Sailor Yonaga, and no Baby Bottom.

Hadn't tried that, but I am getting ready to send it off anyway. I know that has worked for some people, or that it'll fix itself with some use, but it's too smooth for me anyway, regardless of if I could fix the issue with a different ink.

- Jake

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DilettanteG

• N1003U

• carola

• mana

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In that photo, the M605 looks like the M800 Brown striped pen. It must be the lighting. Now, if Pelikan released a M60X in that brown stripey material with a dark brown cap, I'd buy one in a minute.

David

Totally agree. I've been thinking about getting an M400 Brown Tortoise from a few years back, but I've decided to wait since I like the 600 models better. It's just a matter of time. Next year, we can hope.

- Jake

+1.

I bought the brown/black stripe M800 for the color. It is very attractive. Unfortunately, I don't use it all that often because, well, it's an M800 (note: the M8xx is a fine pen, but its particular size just misses me as a fan for whatever reason). Now, if that brown/black came out in another size, especially an M6xx, I, too, would also be all over it.

The m101n grey/blue is a a bit nicer in person, then what I initially believed. I was never going to add it to my collection, but I was able to find it for 270 US in new condition. It was an impulse purchase I dont regret.

My favorite from this series is the brown tortoise followed by red (non tortoise).

The tortoise pattern on the red tortoise is lovely. The barrel has a sparkle to it, but I wish Pelikan would have executed the red tortoise the same way they did brown tortoise.

image.jpg

The m101n grey/blue is a a bit nicer in person, then what I initially believed. I was never going to add it to my collection, but I was able to find it for 270 US in new condition. It was an impulse purchase I dont regret.

My favorite from this series is the brown tortoise followed by red (non tortoise).

The tortoise pattern on the red tortoise is lovely. The barrel has a sparkle to it, but I wish Pelikan would have executed the red tortoise the same way they did brown tortoise.

Very nice looking collection.

• 1 month later...

I just made a very special addition to the flock. Like Ahab and his relentless search for the white whale, I have found my Moby Dick. In the mid-1990s, Office Depot in the USA carried an exclusive Pelikan R200 Rollerball and K200 Ballpoint in Snakeskin finish. You could call a phone number and order a matching M200 Snakeskin fountain pen if you so desired. This was a very low production volume item. Prior to today, I have only seen two others in the wild. They are ultra rare. After a 5 year search, I'm happy to shout from the roof tops that the M200 Snakeskin (1994/95) has finally come home to roost. I'm so excited to have finally added this bird to the flock because of its beauty and because it brings me one step closer to completing my goal of collecting the entire Classic Series. I should add that while I searched every corner of the globe, in an odd bit of irony, I finally found the pen located not more than a 45 minute drive from my current residence. Here are a few pics I grabbed tonight...

fpn_1602382548__pelikan_m200_snakeskin_1

fpn_1602382561__pelikan_m200_snakeskin_2

Edited by sargetalon

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I just made a very special addition to the flock. Like Ahab and his relentless search for the white whale, I have found my Moby Dick. In the mid-1990s, Office Depot in the USA carried an exclusive Pelikan R200 Rollerball and K200 Ballpoint in Snakeskin finish. You could call a phone number and order a matching M200 Snakeskin fountain pen if you so desired. This was a very low production volume item. Prior to today, I have only seen two others in the wild. They are ultra rare. After a 5 year search, I'm happy to shout from the roof tops that the M200 Snakeskin (1994/95) has finally come home to roost. I'm so excited to have finally added this bird to the flock because of its beauty and because it brings me one step closer to completing my goal of collecting the entire Classic Series. I should add that while I searched every corner of the globe, in an odd bit of irony, I finally found the pen located not more than a 45 minute drive from my current residence. Here are a few pics I grabbed tonight...

Congratulations!

I'm very happy to see you add this one to your collection, and I hope you complete the M200 collection soon!

If I may ask, which ones are still missing?

Ah yes, I saw these on eBay but didn't know the history, thought they might've been custom bindes. I greatly appreciate learning their true nature and glad they went to a good home.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

My most recent addition to the flock is this cute little Pelikan Ibis 130 from somwhere around 1949 to 1954, I would even think from 1949 as the original owner would probably have chosen a gold nib if they had been available. A friend of mine inherited it but didn´t want to keep it. I had a NOS green striped Pelikan M400 from the early 1990s I didn´t need and he wanted to have, so we exchanged pens.

The little Ibis suffered from the loss of its piston seal, but I got it replaced and the pen serviced and it finally came back home yesterday. It has a Pelikan CN nib (not an Ibis CN nib) which seems to have been not unusual for the post war pens, using Pelikan 140 nibs. The nib itself is unmarked concerning the nib width, the pen body is marked "OM". Although it is an oblique nib as far as I can see, I would rather see it as an OF-nib, but that might be due to the differences in Pelikan gold and steel nibs. As I don´t have any other Pelikan steel nibs, there is no way for me to compare it. Usually I am not into fine or medium nibs, but this one writes nicely with just a hint of flex. As it is probably still the original nib I have decided to keep it. For its first fill in decades the Ibis got some Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Goldgrün as the green goes nicely with the green ink window (and because I love that ink).

My Ibis seems to have spent some decades in a cellar, nicely tucked up in its own leather pouch (which of course had gotten very hard but was revived with some saddle grease) and without suffering any cracks or dents.

Welcome to the flock, little guy.

Pelikan Ibis 130 01.jpg

Pelikan Ibis 130 02.jpg

Pelikan Ibis 130 03.jpg

Pelikan Ibis 130 04.jpg

Congratulations!

I'm very happy to see you add this one to your collection, and I hope you complete the M200 collection soon!

If I may ask, which ones are still missing?

At this point, I believe that it may be just one. An old style, all blue M250 that may have been a low production item vs a prototype. I've only seen one such example. Mathematically, there can only be no more than 100 complete sets of the Classic Series possible so I'm very excited about the prospect of finishing this one.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

My most recent addition to the flock is this cute little Pelikan Ibis 130 from somwhere around 1949 to 1954, I would even think from 1949 as the original owner would probably have chosen a gold nib if they had been available. A friend of mine inherited it but didn´t want to keep it. I had a NOS green striped Pelikan M400 from the early 1990s I didn´t need and he wanted to have, so we exchanged pens.

The little Ibis suffered from the loss of its piston seal, but I got it replaced and the pen serviced and it finally came back home yesterday. It has a Pelikan CN nib (not an Ibis CN nib) which seems to have been not unusual for the post war pens, using Pelikan 140 nibs. The nib itself is unmarked concerning the nib width, the pen body is marked "OM". Although it is an oblique nib as far as I can see, I would rather see it as an OF-nib, but that might be due to the differences in Pelikan gold and steel nibs. As I don´t have any other Pelikan steel nibs, there is no way for me to compare it. Usually I am not into fine or medium nibs, but this one writes nicely with just a hint of flex. As it is probably still the original nib I have decided to keep it. For its first fill in decades the Ibis got some Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Goldgrün as the green goes nicely with the green ink window (and because I love that ink).

My Ibis seems to have spent some decades in a cellar, nicely tucked up in its own leather pouch (which of course had gotten very hard but was revived with some saddle grease) and without suffering any cracks or dents.

Welcome to the flock, little guy.

That is a lovely pen. I hope you enjoy it!

That is a lovely pen. I hope you enjoy it!

Thank you! It is and I fell a little bit in love when I first saw it. With the pen pouch, too.

fpn_1602382548__pelikan_m200_snakeskin_1

fpn_1602382561__pelikan_m200_snakeskin_2

Congratulations Joshua! You finally achieved your dream! I'm very happy for you as it is not at all easy to locate one. Such an elusive pen which is a needle in the haystack. Similarly, my same pen was discovered within the vicinity of my hometown. Enjoy the pen in best health! regards

Congratulations Joshua! You finally achieved your dream! I'm very happy for you as it is not at all easy to locate one. Such an elusive pen which is a needle in the haystack. Similarly, my same pen was discovered within the vicinity of my hometown. Enjoy the pen in best health! regards

Thanks! I was going to e-mail you about my good fortune when I had a chance. A long wait but it was worth it. Now Im part of the Snakeskin club.

At this point, I believe that it may be just one. An old style, all blue M250 that may have been a low production item vs a prototype. I've only seen one such example. Mathematically, there can only be no more than 100 complete sets of the Classic Series possible so I'm very excited about the prospect of finishing this one.

Oh, wow! Only one!!

Best of luck in your hunt for it.

I'd love to see pics of the complete collection.