Adding To The Flock

mana

New year = New thread. ;)

Confession time: I haven't gotten any new Pelikans this year. Yet.

I do have my keen eye trained on a few vintage ones though but let's see if I win those auctions... :D

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DilettanteG

• N1003U

• carola

• mana

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was looking at an Olivine M205 with a custom nib. Unfortunately a watch maker i like had a 50% sale on one of their models i wanted so... no Olivine for now.

Confession time for me too: I'm here to ogle your pens : )

Also in the upcoming month I might treat myself to my first piston filler Pelikan pen. I'm keeping an eye on ebay auctions to stay within budget but also get a nice nib. I figure since Pelikan nibs are so generous of ink flow, I should go all out and get a B or OB.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

Waiting for this:

M120 Iconic Blue
Intended to be my workhorse carry pen

I have winnowed and winnowed and only have the one Pelikan left, a vintage tortoise 400NN with a flexible nib from Rick Propas. My "if you could only have one pen" pen. Which is too wonderful a pen to take out of the house.

post-36916-0-17673600-1546883485.jpg

@ RoyalBlueNotebooks -- I have a vintage 400 from the 1950s with an OB nib. A lor of fun to write with -- at the moment I've got Edelstein Olivine in it. But remember that Pelikans tend to be wet writers, so you don't want to put a super-wet ink in one. I have also have a one of the M405 Anthracite Stressemans; it has a B nib and while it writes well, I'm actually considering having it reground to something like a cursive italic when I have the money to do so.

@ Sombreuil -- The Iconic Blue looks even better in person. You'll really like it, I think. What nib did you get? Mine is an M because I didn't have any choice when I bought mine (from a table at last Fall's Commonwealth Pen Show) -- but I paid a litte less than I'd seen them running pricewise.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Since we seem to be in confession mode, here's mine: it took me all of 7 days to buy the first bird of the year.

Not my fault, mind you, since I wasn't even looking.

But my wife found a NOS M800 B (two chicks) that I couldn't pass - I looked for a reasonably priced one for almost 4 years!

I can't wait to receive t!

<snip>

@ Sombreuil -- The Iconic Blue looks even better in person. You'll really like it, I think. What nib did you get? Mine is an M because I didn't have any choice when I bought mine (from a table at last Fall's Commonwealth Pen Show) -- but I paid a litte less than I'd seen them running pricewise.

I got a fine. I thought of an extra-fine because Pelikans are wet writers to begin with, but I was already so far over budget I couldn't bring myself to.

So far only a NOS Pelikan 140 barrel assembly, not an entire pen. Just the standard issue green stripes, nothing more exotic. From a quick appraisal seems to be in mint condition, though.

Dr. Frankenstein

Edited by LanceSaintPaul

I'm still waiting for my first birds of 2019. It will be March before my Herzstück 1929 arrives. The other is a simple black M400 that I'm giving to a friend to celebrate his acceptance into law school. I've warned him about how painful that first day of law school is, though. That's the day they rip your conscience out and split your tongue in two. :lol:

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

:lticaptd:

We used to have a friend who -- after going all the way through law school -- decided that there was not a single type of law she actually wanted to practice. So instead of taking the bar exam she became a legal secretary. Apparently she can pretty much name her own salary -- she knew a lot of the case law involved without having to go say "where do I find that?" (but occasionally had to stop herself from saying "Oh don't you mean 'X vs. Y' case instead of 'A vs. B' case).... B)

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I just got a black M450 with OBB; not a sumgai, unfortunately, but a heck of a lot cheaper than most I've seen.

Seller didn't know the model so I took a punt and was hoping for a 650, but it's still a gorgeous pen and great nib.

Glenn.

I just got a black M450 with OBB; not a sumgai, unfortunately, but a heck of a lot cheaper than most I've seen.

Seller didn't know the model so I took a punt and was hoping for a 650, but it's still a gorgeous pen and great nib.

Glenn.

Is it the regular Black/green or the Green Tortoise M450?

If it is the Green tortoise, for $650, it IS a sumgai!

Edited by Lam1

I am waiting to see if any new M800's get released this year in a color I like.

Failing that, I'd like to find a vintage Pelikan, but anything smaller than an M600 is just too small for me, so I think I'm out of luck. From what little research I've done, there aren't any vintage Pelikans the same size as a modern M600 or larger...if that's not right, someone let me know. When I say vintage, I mean something like a 400NN tortoise with a flexy nib. I mainly just want a tortoise...

I am one of those furloughed federal employees so not working right now (for the last couple weeks) and also not getting paid (my wife is in the same predicament) so for the time being all non-essential expenditures are postponed. you might not think of pens as 'non-essential', but the world looks different when the bills keep rolling in but the paychecks don't.

However, just at the start of the shutdown I made a handshake deal with a seller on a lovely vintage 100n w/grey binde. Once we go back to work and if and when we get back pay I will close the deal on that pen, but when that will be? … who knows. And if for some reason the powers decide that we don't get back pay, it will be a long time before I buy another fountain pen.

I am waiting to see if any new M800's get released this year in a color I like.

Failing that, I'd like to find a vintage Pelikan, but anything smaller than an M600 is just too small for me, so I think I'm out of luck. From what little research I've done, there aren't any vintage Pelikans the same size as a modern M600 or larger...if that's not right, someone let me know. When I say vintage, I mean something like a 400NN tortoise with a flexy nib. I mainly just want a tortoise...

Ever thought of trying out a 100N? They are a bit bigger when posted and overall feel bigger than say, 400/M400 size pens. In the picture, a 400 Tortoise and a post war 100N.

fpn_1546980068__pelikan_400__100n_posted

I am one of those furloughed federal employees so not working right now (for the last couple weeks) and also not getting paid (my wife is in the same predicament) so for the time being all non-essential expenditures are postponed. you might not think of pens as 'non-essential', but the world looks different when the bills keep rolling in but the paychecks don't.

However, just at the start of the shutdown I made a handshake deal with a seller on a lovely vintage 100n w/grey binde. Once we go back to work and if and when we get back pay I will close the deal on that pen, but when that will be? … who knows. And if for some reason the powers decide that we don't get back pay, it will be a long time before I buy another fountain pen.

Damn, so sorry to hear that. :( I do hope your predicament ends soon.

So sorry to hear that.

I hope the shutdown ends soon and that you do get backpay as soon as possible.

Ever thought of trying out a 100N? They are a bit bigger when posted and overall feel bigger than say, 400/M400 size pens. In the picture, a 400 Tortoise and a post war 100N.

fpn_1546980068__pelikan_400__100n_posted

It's not so much the length, its the section diameter. The M800 is my sweet spot, the M600 is a compromise, and the M400 just feels too small. I have other pens with different and smaller section diameters, but for some reason, it only really bothers me on the Pelikans. It might be all mental, who knows...

Came back from the Philly Pen Show this afternoon with a Pelikan m250 in burgundy and a bottle of Noodler's Nightshade. Pretty nice combination.

Edited by debraji

Is it the regular Black/green or the Green Tortoise M450?

If it is the Green tortoise, for $650, it IS a sumgai!

Sorry Lam1, poor phrasing on my part... what I meant was that I was hoping for an M650, rather than the M450 in the solid black with gold trim that I got.

At A$465 I think is quite reasonable; it would have been less without the GST that eBay now levy on behalf of our government

The black pre-dates the green tortoise, which is indeed lovely, but I've not seen one of those at a retiree-friendly price. Such is life.

Glenn.