Do you trust eBay and buy your pens on it ?

goodguy

Do you trust eBay and buy your pens on it ?  

191 members have voted

1. 1. Do you trust eBay and buy your pens on it ?

• Yes trust eBay and buy lots of pens on it
    • I buy some pens on eBay but dont trust it too much
    • Dont trust eBay and never bought a pen on eBay

Do you feel comfortable with ebay ?

Do you buy most of your pens on it or maybe you just dont trust the sellers on eBay ?

As for me I love eBay.I find it to be a reliable source for pens and for a good confortable prices.

I bought many of my pens on eBay and sold few pens on eBay as well.

I was always very happy with what I got there and never had any real truble with any sellers or the pens I bought.

One thing I need to add I have learned where I can bid and where not and even though there is always a risk involved I think its worth the risk.

I buy lots of pens on Ebay and have never had problems. Very occasionally you might find that a seller sells you a dodgy pen, but then you have the payment protection, so it should never be an issue. It's probably more safe to buy on Ebay than from a shop.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• georges zaslavsky

• Ghost Plane

• Bennington1967

• fatehbajwa

I voted for the third option because of some bad experience that some of my friends had and also because of other personal reasons.

Feedback can be misleading, it is not a sign of what the seller sells is authentic nor a warranty that the seller is a pen repairer or a pen restorer. Also bare in mind that the refund policy is not really a real after sales service. Most of the pens on epray are sold in as is condition which means from bad to very average condition. Let's not also forget the benz auctions were some basic models reach the sky is the limit values. Ebay's so called mint is rarely mint. Also let's not forget the scam artists who sell fakes or below average condition products.

Unfortunately also, I am not fond of the paypal and credit card terms of payment. I would rather go to my favorite penshop take the time to try the pen I want, eventually discuss the price and then buying a great pen than having bad surprises.

I disagree strongly. I have bought new pens on Ebay from established pen sellers and have never had one problem. Prices have been invariably at least 25% off retail (usually more) and I have found some true bargains. Paypal is a good system because it gives you protection if you get sold a bad product.

I have found these to be excellent sellers:

engeika

lewertowski

mlv-trading

melpens

pengallery

outletline

tanvety

ujuku123

world-lux

pencollectorscorner

posarro

Edited by Bennington1967

I have made some outstanding bargains too by buying my pens at mora stylos. I had 40-50% off on some pens. I bought a near mint arte italiana paragon for 320€ with box and papers. Another bargain I made was to buy a 360 magnum for 220€ when I saw the same exact pen sold at Motishaw's website for over 450$.I also had made great deal with vintage pens.All is relative whatever fits one person bill doesn't fit another person's bill. Mora stylos exists since 1930 so it has an enough significant feedback to show you how serious is the shop. It is the oldest and most reknown penshop of Paris. Ebay is mainly a question of luck.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Do you feel comfortable with ebay ?

Do you buy most of your pens on it or maybe you just dont trust the sellers on eBay ?

Ebay is an exceptional source of choice when buying vintage pens and in essence I trust them as an organisation: Ebay shops are usually the safest bets and most individuals are ok - watch Feedback though! Unfortunately many individual sellers are not very knowledgable and they may in good faith offer a pen they think to be sound, which despite looking 100% cosmetically has hidden problems after 50 years or more without a service- surprise, surprise! :rolleyes:

Pens bought from dealers have usually been serviced - otherwise I consider paying for a professional service ( not necessarily very expensive) to be essential.

• 10 months later...

I would be wary.................he mentioned a certain S&H cost in an auction and a higher one in the invoice.Rude an unprofessional

Will never bid there again. :angry:

I am posting this in all topics which refer to his reliability.

Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom - George S Patton

Follow me on Twitter

I would be wary.................he mentioned a certain S&H cost in an auction and a higher one in the invoice.Rude an unprofessional

Did you take this up with him at the time?

I only ask because so many others seem satisfied with him(often very much so), and I wondered if this might have been a simple mistake, rather than being 'rude & unprofessional'?

[i have only dealt with him briefly and found him friendly and co-operative....I had bid for one of his pens mistakenly, in a 'senior moment'] rolleyes.gif

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

Have to agree with Fateh. Had great purchases right up until he didn't ship an item and wouldn't respond to e-mails. After I moved to preserve my rights w/ Paypal, he banned me. Communications seemed decidedly schizo - bursts of intense helpfulness but poor communication right up until the no response, no ship episode.

I am putting below the link to that particular auction as well his mails to me...........Judge for yourself.

Link to Listing

These are replies I got when I questioned him about the higher S&H charges put by him in the invoice.......

"Dear fatehbajwa,

America, Europe and S.America $34.50 others Places $39.50 Like Asia, Australia, Rusia.

- outletline"

"Dear fatehbajwa,

Normally i don't ship to much to Asia or other places, only in USA or S.America, and i use Express Mail , not a regular mail. when quoted the y give me that price.

- outletline"

As per my understanding of eBay rules, if a person says he will ship worldwide, I would very much include "Asia or other places" besides USA or S.America.

Secondly, if the listing says and I quote "In USA Flat $14.50, International Flat S&H $34.50", my understanding is everywhere besides USA should be $34.50. !!!

It is not the question of 5$, but the basic question of faith in a eBay seller and the eBay system of auctions.In my opinion, what is quoted in the auction should be respected by the seller no matter what.Any change later,is not only legally incorrect but also goes to show the basic character of the seller!!!!!!

A seller who lists items in one way and then quotes differently when it has sold, is highly unprofessional,incompetent and reeks of opportunism!!!!!!!!!

Not to mention my earlier feeling and now conviction of "shill" bidding taking place on all his auctions.Just take a look at his auctions and bids! Most(I would guess close to 99%) bids are private bids!

Now I leave the judgment to your better sense and "Risk taking ability".

I only ask because so many others seem satisfied with him(often very much so), and I wondered if this might have been a simple mistake, rather than being 'rude & unprofessional'?

[i have only dealt with him briefly and found him friendly and co-operative....I had bid for one of his pens mistakenly, in a 'senior moment'] rolleyes.gif

Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom - George S Patton

Follow me on Twitter

Thanks for explaining, fatehbajwa....as has been said, opinions and experiences appeared to differ so widely.

As you say, we must each make up our own minds...the more informed we are, the better.

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

I have used, and continue to do so, e-bay for most of my pen purchases and sales. I think if you do your homework i.e. look at what the persons prior sales have been & subseqent feedback, you should be ok.

The FPN members seem to be up to speed with any 'dodgy' sellers of pens globally and I feel sure that they would advise prospective purchasers who to steer clear of based on personal experiences.

There is a wealth of knowledge available on here and I have always found people willing to advise.

Ian

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

I am putting below the link to that particular auction as well his mails to me...........Judge for yourself.

Link to Listing

These are replies I got when I questioned him about the higher S&H charges put by him in the invoice.......

"Dear fatehbajwa,

America, Europe and S.America $34.50 others Places $39.50 Like Asia, Australia, Rusia.

- outletline"

"Dear fatehbajwa,

Normally i don't ship to much to Asia or other places, only in USA or S.America, and i use Express Mail , not a regular mail. when quoted the y give me that price.

- outletline"

As per my understanding of eBay rules, if a person says he will ship worldwide, I would very much include "Asia or other places" besides USA or S.America.

Secondly, if the listing says and I quote "In USA Flat $14.50, International Flat S&H $34.50", my understanding is everywhere besides USA should be $34.50. !!!

It is not the question of 5$, but the basic question of faith in a eBay seller and the eBay system of auctions.In my opinion, what is quoted in the auction should be respected by the seller no matter what.Any change later,is not only legally incorrect but also goes to show the basic character of the seller!!!!!!

A seller who lists items in one way and then quotes differently when it has sold, is highly unprofessional,incompetent and reeks of opportunism!!!!!!!!!

Not to mention my earlier feeling and now conviction of "shill" bidding taking place on all his auctions.Just take a look at his auctions and bids! Most(I would guess close to 99%) bids are private bids!

Now I leave the judgment to your better sense and "Risk taking ability".

I have watched his auctions and noted that he either shill bids by 1)having a friend or friends pump up the bidding;or 2)

has another account in which he bids against the person bidding for the item listed. If that doesn't work,it's no surprise

that he would pump up the shipping. :ninja:

John

Edited by sumgaikid

Irony is not lost on INFJ's--in fact,they revel in it.

One thing I need to add I have learned where I can bid and where not and even though there is always a risk involved I think its worth the risk.

This is exactly how I see it.

I have bought most of my vintage or used pens from ebay since there are no pen sellers at the local flea markets any more.

Two things help to avoid dissapointments:

Knowing the item/pen you are interested in helps to look for the weaknesses of the pen and to ask the right questions.

Following many auctions leads to know the professional sellers. These are the sellers I would trust with a more expensive pen than my normal bid.

Normally I bid only low prices so if there will be a problem with the pen I can live with it. E.g. a not noticed discolouration of a Pelikans Stresemann would be acceptable with a 30 Euro pen that is otherwise o.k. but would not be acceptable if I had payed 50 Euros.

I had some lemmons because I did not ask the proper questions and hoped for the best. If it happens with a pen for 10 Euros I simply write it off. If it happens with a Lamy 2 K for 57 Euros I try to solve it. Pen was decribed as new but the nib was bent, no pic of nib though. Sale was cancelled. So far I got anything solved.

• 2 weeks later...

post-17679-1212717418_thumb.jpg

I was going to sell this on eBay but when I got to looking at it I wasn't sure if it is real or fake. EVERYTHING comparing the real to the fake passed as real (light shining through it was red, Germany Metal Pix under clip, length of tube threads, clip solid, etc) ... except the serial # location. This is a Promo Pen from 2004 Masters. This is a nice pen, real or fake. Any Comments?