Col-O-Ring

ItsMeDave

I just started sampling my inks, ten down, twenty-one to go.

I used a dip nib in a straight holder, and q-tips.

I was originally sampling my inks in a notebook with cream (rookie mistake) pages, this is more handy.

I'll use the back to add notes regarding nibs to avoid, wet/dry, etc.

TBnx9vz.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ItsMeDave

• Newjelan

• Misfit

• MyPenAndI

I finished sampling my inks, I was surprised to find that they all worked well with a dip nib. The only issue was with GvFC Moss Green, it clung in a big glob to the nib. I don't know about J. Herbin, you'd think they'd never seen a fountain pen before with the way they design their ink bottles.

OI1bqks.jpg

I have recently finished using Col-O-Ring for my inks as well. Im glad I finally organised them this way as its easier than the binder I had been using. I also rediscovered inks Id forgotten about. (I also discovered that I have about 180 inks.)

I have recently finished using Col-O-Ring for my inks as well. Im glad I finally organised them this way as its easier than the binder I had been using. I also rediscovered inks Id forgotten about. (I also discovered that I have about 180 inks.)

180? Wow.

I'd be interested in knowing where you found your Col-O-Ring! I'm looking to buy one. Amazon has a set of 6 (300) cards. I'll never....

Right now, I have four, not counting blue and black cartridges.

Ok. Pens, I get. But ink collecting? Doesn't make sense. Pens make sense.

*steps off of box of it, the soap, grumbling to self*

Writing is FUN!

Bud Fields

Follow My Writing Adventures!

I'd be interested in knowing where you found your Col-O-Ring! I'm looking to buy one. Amazon has a set of 6 (300) cards. I'll never....

Right now, I have four, not counting blue and black cartridges.

I got mine at Goulet Pens.

I don't collect inks, I merely buy colours that I like. :-) Edited by ItsMeDave

You can also get Col-O-Ring straight from the creators (Ana and her husband Bob) by going to the Well Appointed Desk blog, scroll down to Shop the Desk.

Its showing up at more sites like Anderson Pens, Jet Pens.

Edited to add they have added a Col-o-Dex (like Rolodex).

Edited by Misfit
Posted Image

I ended up with more inks than I could ever use because I'd buy ink when I couldn't afford a new pen. (This was before ink samples became a thing.) Now I treat myself to one new ink per year, but that's got to stop, too. I think I've pretty much covered the color wheel.

• 8 months later...

Everyone still like their Col-o-ring? I can't seem to find one on Amazon. I have been using a Maruman Card Book (the two are very similar) which was really similar but it's full. They are no longer being made.

• 4 weeks later...

Everyone still like their Col-o-ring? I can't seem to find one on Amazon. I have been using a Maruman Card Book (the two are very similar) which was really similar but it's full. They are no longer being made.

Those things are ridiculously easy to DIY; they're more of a convenience product than anything else. If you can buy it for just the RRP, no shipping, it's more worth it - If you have to pay any shipping for it, you're most likely overpaying, especially if you buy two or more.

The only tools you need are a hole punch and a corner rounder, both of which can be had for under the price of one col-o-ring. The supplies are literally just the paper, some heavy card (for the covers) and a split ring. The last two are less than $1 together, and easy to come by at any arts/crafts store.

The paper, the sky's the limit. You can use $20 a sheet watercolour paper, if that's how you roll :-) The only objectively necessary thing is to find something that has consistent paper stock, with no variations between batches (or worse, within), so it's possible to actually compare ink samples. Beyond that it's all preference - smooth vs toothy, off-white vs bright-white, etc. If you like satin white and smooth for maximum shading, you can even just use exacompta index cards.

I can give you the step-by-step to make this thing if you want.

I'm not affiliated with ANY of the brands/retailers/shops/ebay sellers/whatever I mention or recommend. If that ever changes, I will let you know :)

Looking for a cheap Pilot VP/Capless - willing to put up with lots of cosmetic damage.